Group H - SPAIN, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Discuss everything about the teams in this group from warm ups, injuries, squads and then the group matches.

Fixtures
Wednesday, 16 June 2010
Honduras v Chile, Gp H, 12:30
Spain v Switzerland, Gp H, 15:00

Monday, 21 June 2010
Chile v Switzerland, Gp H, 15:00
Spain v Honduras, Gp H, 19:30

Friday, 25 June 2010
Chile v Spain, Gp H, 19:30
Switzerland v Honduras, Gp H, 19:30

Table Prediction
Spain
Switzerland
Chile
Honduras

Last edited:
Spain should win all the 3 matches without too much hassle.

Last edited:
Injury issues seem to have eased out a bit. Xavi and Iniesta both have recovered and its only Torres who VDB is waiting for, and maybe even Fabregas, but then he isn't a starter.

5 goalkeepers were named in the 30-man squad but all those "7 extra names" I expect are just to make the numbers as I don't expect any surprises in the final 23. Maybe Pedro.

Spain Spain Spain! My favourite along with England. They shouldn't have any trouble progressing.
What are the chances of Chile?

Spain are definitely the favourites and would easily win if this was a league format.

But due to the unpredictability of the knockout format and the fact that the favourites rarely win the WC, it wouldn't surprise me if they underachieve in this WC.

Spain squad announced today. Surprised to see Senna and Santi miss out but I guess their injury-prone season is what caused their exclusion. Trouble is I don't know if anyone else can step in for Senna as a defensive midfielder.

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Jose Manuel Reina (Liverpool), V?ctor Vald?s (Barcelona).

Defence : Joan Capdevila (Villarreal), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Raul Albiol (Real Madrid), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), ?lvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Carlos Marchena (Valencia).

Midfield : Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Xavi Hernandez (Barcelona), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Javi Mart?nez (Athletic), Jes?s Navas (Sevilla), David Silva (Valencia), Juan Manuel Mata (Valencia)

Fernando Torres (Liverpool), David Villa (Barcelona), Pedro Rodriguez (Barcelona), Fernando Llorente (Athletic).

Basically Del Bosque has picked players who have been in form and have played sufficient football last season. Senna's absence is my only concern. Also I don't see any Atletico players in there?

m_vaughan added 3 Minutes and 36 Seconds later...

I think this would be the starting eleven now

-------------Casillas--------------------
--Ramos---Puyol-----Pique---Capdevila--
--------Alonso-------Xavi---------------
--Iniesta-------------------------Silva--
----------Villa------Torres--------------

Spain playing Saudi Arabia today. Del Bosque might play a five man midfield and a single striker in Villa. Although both Silva and Iniesta are make-shift forwards. Xavi, Xabi and Busi in the middle.

I guess Del Bosque feels Spain dont need Senna defensive qualities this time around anymore. Which in a way i sort of agree with.

Leading up the EURO 2008, Aragones saw the need for such a player since it was a great quandary how to fit all those super talented mid-fielders in such an XI. But since EURO 2008 in WCQ, it certainly looks like Xavi, Xavi, Fabregas, Iniesta, Silva have found a way to play as a unit in midfield. Without a strong DM to support them.

Well Spain missed a proper defensive midfielder today. Busquets was absolutely useless against a physical Saudi Arabian side. I thought Spain overall were well below par but I guess that can happen when you are playing after a decent amount of time together.

Llorente certainly justified his selection though. He can be an excellent super-sub during the World Cup. Pique and Puyol were woeful.

Users who are viewing this thread