Group H - SPAIN, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile

Yes, Alexis Sanchez is great. So is Mati Fernandez. For those who don't know, Chile were 2nd in South American qualifying, just one point behind Brazil, and tied with Paraguay, but had a better goal difference. Underestimate them at your own risk.

I think by the FIFA rankings, this is the Group of Death. But, the rankings are dodgy anyways, so yeah.

I'm beginning to buy into this 'ball is rubbish' idea now. Goalkeeping gaffes aplenty, shots going miles over the bar, that ridiculous swerve on Brazil's first goal yesterday. Just leave the bloody ball alone instead of playing with it every two years! You wanna put a new design on it? New fancy stickers? Go for it, but leave the ball's physical design alone!

I'm beginning to buy into this 'ball is rubbish' idea now. Goalkeeping gaffes aplenty, shots going miles over the bar, that ridiculous swerve on Brazil's first goal yesterday. Just leave the bloody ball alone instead of playing with it every two years! You wanna put a new design on it? New fancy stickers? Go for it, but leave the ball's physical design alone!

I heard That Jabuani(?) ball Is Less Lighter Than Confed Cup Ball,Is it ?

Blatant problems for Spain exposed in the first game of the tournament.

1) Lack of width! Iniesta and Silva were coming way too central and this meant that the middle was too congested. Navas coming on was the right idea to stretch the play, and he did that but then there was another problem.

2) Can Spain play with 2 strikers? One problem averted, then there was another one. With Navas staying wide stretching the play, the attacks would only go through him. They needed another midfielder in the middle still. I don't think they can play 2 strikers.

3) Spain were wasteful when they had genuine chances. Switzerland on the other hand, had one genuine chance and scored it - despite it being a scrappy effort, they were unlucky not to make it 2 later. The Swiss didn't necessarily defend great, Spain were just wasteful.

Chile are far from weak...
Yeah but after this wake up call for Spain i'm sure they'll come all guns blazing agaisnt Chile and the other team. Don't know why torres didn't start i guess they were underestimating the Swiss attack.

Regarding the width I totally agree but then Iniesta and Silva aren't typically wide players and its the full backs Capdevila and Ramos who serve that purpose.

I don't agree about the two strikes not working though. Spain have played with two strikers well before including in Euro 2008 (except the final ofcourse) and I think its a lot harder to mark both Torres and Villa than any one of them alone.

To put it in simple words now....Spain need to win all their remaining games to the win the World Cup.

Finally a great match in Spain vs Switzerland. Spain had the most ball possession, but Switzerland had the best chances. Spain must be lucky that one chance went to the post.

I haven't seen the match of Chili, but I knew already that Chili isn't a bad team. It's based on the performances during the qualifications.

Spain really must win the remaining matches and hope that they will become number one of their group. Otherwhile they will face the number one of Group G (Brazil) already in the second round.

Regarding the width I totally agree but then Iniesta and Silva aren't typically wide players and its the full backs Capdevila and Ramos who serve that purpose.

I don't agree about the two strikes not working though. Spain have played with two strikers well before including in Euro 2008 (except the final ofcourse) and I think its a lot harder to mark both Torres and Villa than any one of them alone.

To put it in simple words now....Spain need to win all their remaining games to the win the World Cup.

I think Spain has to play 2 strikers, personally. Villa didn't have anything to work with once he got close to the box in the first half but as soon as Torres came on, Spain had a lot more space to work with and a lot more chances were created.

Navas might well start next match as he gives the team more width. Speaking of which, Capdevilla was esentially the left winger today. Spain's left winger went almost unnoticed today.

If Spain finish second they will face Brazil in the second round :eek:.

Spain will be fine i'd say. Although this brings back memories of Senegal beating France in WC 2002. One has to give Switzerland & all this "middle-of-the road" nations some credit. They really know how to defend - they hardly are much pushover nations in world football @ international level anymore.

If Spain finish second they will face Brazil in the second round :eek:.

Considering they are 1st and 2nd ranked sides in the world, shouldn't they be kept on opposites side of the draw so that they could only meet in the final. I believe as per current setup they can meet either in the round of 16 or semi-finals. But not the final.

Well no, the draw is based on luck. It just so happens that they could meet each other before the final. No team should be placed to create the best possible final, that's not what the World Cup is all about.

No but like in Tennis the first and second seeds are always on opposite sides of the draw. You still have to get to the final to face each other so I don't see how its not fair.

You even mentioning it just shows to me that you are worried about meeting Brazil. Maybe Spain should never have been favourites in the first place if their fans lose confidence after one loss...

Users who are viewing this thread