ICC Under -19 World Cup in New Zealand

West Indies Squad: Andre Creary (capt), Yannick Ottley (vice-capt), Jermaine Blackwood, Nelson Bolan, Kraigg Brathwaite, John Campbell, Yannic Cariah, Akeem Dewar, Shane Dowrich (wk), Nicholson Gordon, Trevon Griffiths, Jason Holder, Keon Joseph, Evin Lewis, Jomel Warrican.

Solid squad, a few guys have already played some 1st class matches. Hopefully they perform well in this tournament.

USA Squad

The full squad is Shiva Vashishat (Captain), Salman Ahmad, Regis Burton, Ryan Corns, Muhammad Ghous, Naseer Jamali, Abhijit Joshi, Azurdeen Mohammed, Saqib Saleem, Gregory Sewdial, Yash Shah, Hammad Shahid, Saami Siddiqui, Steven Taylor and Henry Wardley. Officials: Sewdatt Shivnarain, Coach, John Wesley King, Manager, Reginald Benjamin, Asst. Coach, Victor Benjamin, Trainer/Asst. Coach, Akhtar Masood Syed, Physio, Ganesh Sanap, Statistician, Shelton Glasgow, Team Liaison. ICC Americas Development Performance Officer, Robert Andrew Pick, will also serve in the capacity of Asst. Coach to the two ICC Americas entries in the tournament: Canada and the USA.

Special thanks to NZ Cricket who have sent over Dipak Patel and Hamish Barton to Florida to help coach our boys and are allowing our boys 2 weeks training time at their national academy.

On arrival in New Zealand, the squad will be in training as guests of New Zealand Cricket at the national training facility until January 9th when they will transfer to the official ICC tournament hotel. The USA Under-19 squad will train from January 9-13 at the New Zealand Cricket High Performance Centre, located at Lincoln University in Christchurch; the center will offer the USA squad the chance to utilize facilities that are virtually unavailable in the USA.

USA Announces Under-19 World Cup Squad - Dreamcricket News

Watch out for Ryan Corns guys, he is our best player and a serious talent.

The US and New Zealand have a deal going at the moment I think, I remember reading something about it three or so months ago, this was probably part of it.

Interested to see how this Corns kid goes, will have to watch one of the US games at somepoint.

We open our account against Australia and then South Africa :eek:

Needless to say, it wont be easy. Just hoping for some good individual performances, the experience these boys will gain is invaluable. Fingers crossed that its televised

NZ U-19 Squad

Craig Cachopa (Auckland - capt), Corey Anderson (Canterbury), Tom Blundell (Wellington), Harry Boam (Wellington), Doug Bracewell (Central Districts), Michael Bracewell (Otago - wk), Dane Cleaver (Central Districts), Jono Hickey (Northern Districts), Tim Johnston (Canterbury), Tom Latham (Canterbury), Jimmy Neesham (Auckland), Bevan Small (Central Districts), Mattie Thomas (Northern Districts), Logan van Beek (Canterbury), Ben Wheeler (Central Districts).

Got this off cricinfo ;)

Logan van beek also played in U-19 BBall world cup.

Last edited:
Pakistan Under 19 is again having some good fast bowlers which could be lethal in kiwi conditions.

The New Zealand squad was named today:

Corey Anderson (Canterbury)
Tom Blundell (Wellington)
Harry Boam (Wellington)
Doug Bracewell (Central Districts)
Michael Bracewell (Otago
Craig Cachopa (Auckland)
Dane Cleaver (Central Districts)
Jono Hickey (Northern Districts)
Tim Johnston (Canterbury)
Tom Latham (Canterbury)
Jimmy Neesham (Auckland)
Bevan Small (Central Districts)
Mattie Thomas (Northern Districts)
Logan Van Beek (Canterbury)
Ben Wheeler (Central Districts)

The bolded players are the big three, they're all in there second season of FC cricket, all three of them are all-rounders also, very fine ones might I add. Jimmy Neesham is also one to watch out for, 130K+ bowler who is just coming of three 100's in the national under 19 tournament this week.

Might add I've played a lot of cricket against Jono Hickey growing up through the age-grades, be interesting to see how he goes, he's another all-rounder who bowls leg-spin.

Yeah, I played against all the bolded guys in the recent national secondary schools tournament, the Gillette Cup. Tom Latham is the son of Rod Latham, a past New Zealand representative. He is a pretty handy player- scored 100 off about 60 balls in the recent Under 19 National Tournament.
Craig Cachopa is also a pretty talented batsman, and Dane Cleaver can absolutely smash it. He's a pretty tidy keeper, but he hits the ball as clean as anyone you'll ever see. Bevan Small ran through a few sides I heard- he looked pretty quick, but it will be interesting to see how quick he is in comparison to the other bowlers at the cup. They tell me Mattie Thomas is a pretty impressive left arm orthodox bowler.

@Howsie: So you've played against/with Jono Hickey? Which minor association do you play in? (Counties?) Some of the guys I've talked to reckon he's a bit overrated, but I've never seen him play.

I reckon this will be a great tournament- I'm looking forward to it far more than the Bangladesh tour. It will be really interesting to see some of the guys I've played against play against the best cricketers of their age in the world, to see how our NZ youth ranks up against the rest...

Lol, i didnt see Howsies post... I was a bit late:)

Yeah, I played against all the bolded guys in the recent national secondary schools tournament, the Gillette Cup. Tom Latham is the son of Rod Latham, a past New Zealand representative. He is a pretty handy player- scored 100 off about 60 balls in the recent Under 19 National Tournament.
Craig Cachopa is also a pretty talented batsman, and Dane Cleaver can absolutely smash it. He's a pretty tidy keeper, but he hits the ball as clean as anyone you'll ever see. Bevan Small ran through a few sides I heard- he looked pretty quick, but it will be interesting to see how quick he is in comparison to the other bowlers at the cup. They tell me Mattie Thomas is a pretty impressive left arm orthodox bowler.

@Howsie: So you've played against/with Jono Hickey? Which minor association do you play in? (Counties?) Some of the guys I've talked to reckon he's a bit overrated, but I've never seen him play.

I reckon this will be a great tournament- I'm looking forward to it far more than the Bangladesh tour. It will be really interesting to see some of the guys I've played against play against the best cricketers of their age in the world, to see how our NZ youth ranks up against the rest...

Nah WV. Hickey, he was alright when I last played him which was about a year ago. He never really stood out with the bat tbh (and that's what seems to have gotten him into the NZ team) as most of the times I played against him he was batting at 6-7-8 ish. His leg-spin was pretty decent for his age though. He's been in the ND A team so he must be going alright this year however.

IIRC their not in this event

Hmarka added 0 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

scratch that, they are. Interested to see how they look. Its all televised too :)

Yeah it will be interesting to see Afghanistan :).
Afghanistan vs Pakistan will be great!!:D

I heard Corey Anderson is injured, will he play? If not thats a HUGE blow for NZ

He's out for 6-10 weeks so I'd say not, but yes that's a massive loss for New Zealand. He would of been one of the players to watch during this tournament seeing as he isn't far off playing for NZ.

Users who are viewing this thread