ICCCT2006: Group B

Kaneria wasn't picked and the other bowlers I've seen look like pacemen. I suspect they will rely on Afridi, Malik and Hafeez.

So only one quality spinner - Malik
I still think of Afridi as a part-timer [ no offense meant here]
But,Hafeez ?
Well,I personally think that they have got their equations wrong in the Spin Department especially.
Looking at the other teams,I think every one is coming to India with the best spinner in their side.

Australia-Hogg
Bangaldesh-Rafique
New Zealand-Vettori

Other countries like England,West Indies and South Africa are not carrying their best ones,maybe coz they don't have any.
But,I expected Pakistan to send atleast 1 qualit spinner.

Hafeez bowling was the thing that kept him in the ODI side a few years back so hes more than handy in that department. I would say hes their 2nd best spinner in the squad they picked.
Agreed they should have brought Kaneria but I think hes got a similar problem to MacGill where he can take wickets but can go for a few.

I don't get the hype over New Zealand, hardly any of them have impressive records. To be honest, the only one I was really impressed with was Shane Bond's incredible bowling average and from what I've heard his usually injured. All of the others have either a batting average of 30 or below or a bowling average of 30 or above. I mean surely I would've thought Stephen Fleming's ODI batting average would've been atleast at 38, 39... even 40 and that Vettori's bowling averages would've been pushing the mid 20's. I know stats don't tell the whole story but damn. I suppose also, Sri Lanka's stats aren't overally impressive in the ODI arena apart from Murali & partically Sangakkara but atleast they've got batsman who average around 50 in Test matches!

South Africa's batting kills Sri Lanka's & New Zealand's so much with Kallis, Gibbs & Smith that it begs the question, does South Africa really need a quality spinner in order to win, let alone dominate?

Pakistan will also be weakened without Inzy in the side but they've still got Mohammad Yousuf & Younis Khan who have proven themselves in atleast 1 form of the game.

Off a pure guess, unknowledgable guess over what's been going on as of late and knowing the conditions and all. I'm gonna go with South Africa & Pakistan.

NZ were number 2 in the world basically with that team. SL also have enjoyed being number 2 in the World with their team. So clearly stats don't show everything. SL have enough game breakers to win a few matches as do NZ.

As for SA they can't do it on batting alone, what if Murali rips through their batting? Then they need to bowl out SL on these spin friendly conditions, of course if SL are batting first and Jayasuriya goes crazy then any team playing them will have major problems in the 2nd inns against Murali and Bandara.

SA have a lethal batting lineup no doubt but most of their big scores have been in pace conditions, will be interesting seeing how they go in spinning conditions.

Statistics don't show our batting lines up's capability. Infact I really wonder how ours get so bad. I agree, we look shocking on paper.

Vincent has some of the worst statistics, look at the average and strike rate yet he is a very underrated devastating opening batsmen. Look out for him this champions trophy. He is our Sehwag/Gilchrist/Gayle player who will go after the bowling.

Nathan Astle is the only guy we have with a world class batting record. Well Fulton and Marshall have pretty damn good ons too.

Vettori's record is great. He doesn't get a hell of a lot of wickets, sure he has his day, he usually chips in with 1 or 2 and goes for less than or a little over 4 runs per over.

In breaking news Younis Khan has turned down the Pakistan Captaincy. He mentioned something about "not wanting to be a dummy captain". Check out various news sites in the next few hours and their should be more information.

All seems a little strange!

Younis Khan turns down the chance to captain his country? He needs his head testing!

I didn't expect something like this from Younis tbh. Not saying he has done something wrong, but he just didn't seem like the kind of person who wants all the attention for himself. I'm willing to bet good money there is a very good reason behind this, or at least there better be. I never thought of him to be a crybaby like Inzamam.

puddleduck said:
In breaking news Younis Khan has turned down the Pakistan Captaincy. He mentioned something about "not wanting to be a dummy captain". Check out various news sites in the next few hours and their should be more information.

All seems a little strange!
That 'dummy' statement makes me think his decision might have something to do with PCB's attitude towards him. After all, our board is famous for taking sides and causing rifts between teams of the past.

The timing of all this kills me, just ahead of the World Cup.

yass Yousuf now can be our cap, welldone.. it's a dream of mine may come true.

usy said:
yass Yousuf now can be our cap, welldone.. it's a dream of mine may come true.
Your dream is to watch Yousuf captain? Its not like it hasn't captained before.

BTW, how can the PCB think of banning Younis for not wanting to be captain?

because PCB is the Pakistani Borad, as it is Pakistani 'impossible is nothing' ;).

they banned him?!?!

BTW, Younis was bang on target for standing up.. He wanted Asim Kamal to be brought into the team instead of Faisal Iqbal. Thats what I wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread