India in England/Ireland/Scotland

Haven't been following the match as closely the last 30 minutes or so. Did England take the new ball? 7.1 overs left... I expect Ganguly to fall before close. :p

India on top here. England will be looking for damage control now. Full credit to batsmen though for taking their chances. I dont think we can quite rule out England just as yet, but unless weather plays spoilsport yet again, I can see India winning this comfortably.

sohummisra said:
I don't disagree that India batted below par. But my statement is in direct contention to the statement that England's batting was far better than ours, which it clearly wasn't.

Maybe not far better, but it was considerably better imo. In your players and runs comparision of both teams, you have ignored the fact that the England players have collectively scored more runs.

Light has just been offered.

Maybe not far better, but it was considerably better imo. In your players and runs comparision of both teams, you have ignored the fact that the England players have collectively scored more runs.

Light has just been offered.
I don't think it was considerably better enough to explain which team played better. Just like we got the better of the conditions here, England got the better of the conditions there. And the point of the analysis is not to see who scored more runs collectively, because that can obviously be concluded by glancing at the scorecard. Fewer England batsmen got off to starts and their middle/lower order was virtually not present. In contrast, all of the Indian batsmen came in and scored some amount of runs except for Dravid.

It's a role reversal from Lords isn't it? (Although India are probably further ahead than we were).

Our bowlers have been iffy, but Tremlett and Panesar have bowled well imo. Credit to India, they have had the rub of the green but that goes with being the better side in the match. Damage control required tomorrow. Tremlett impressed me today, even if he was a bit wayward at the start. Good catch by Bell too.

might not rain tomorrow.. but if the outfield floods overnight..

remember water table is very high

That's a big point Eddie, a heavy rain storm either tonight or tomorrow could see another 5 hour delay while we wait for the ground to dry. For Englands hope I hope to see it at some point tomorrow :D

Last edited:
India are truly on top here. Those who say it's because they won the toss aren't giving any credit to the opposition. The ball's been swinging all over today too. If India win this match, they'll truly deserve to. Saying they'd do it only due to having the advantage of the toss is a poor excuse.

That said, India are far from winning yet. However, I expect them to get at least a 150 run lead, and if the weather stays good, India will be on course for a victory.

I don't disagree that India batted below par. But my statement is in direct contention to the statement that England's batting was far better than ours, which it clearly wasn't.

Who said it was far better?

Should be a good battle (its a shame that Panesar is termed 'good battle' for someone like Sachin!).

Sachin, hit him. Remember his over-the-top celebration at Lord's.

That's Monty though, take that out of him and he'd be a much less player, like you would with Nel (Though Monty isn't as angry as him).

Why is it a shame that Panesar is termed a 'good battle' for Sachin?

Maybe its partly true, but despite the weather you`ve got to bowl well to get wickets especially against an English lineup that was scoring hundreds for fun against the Windies.
Not that the West Indians were bowling under bad bowling conditions either.

It is not as if India do not know to bat in seaming conditions. We scored 600+ on a green Headingly track batting first in 2002.

Yes, the weather can only do so much. You still have to bowl well in those helpful conditions.

As for Headingley 2002, that middle 3 really fired. I wouldn't say that was a green Headingley track though.

Last edited:
Tendulkar will look to go on now, If he survives the new ball then England do have problems and India could post 500 and bat England out of the game.

Panesar was good when the ball has not turned for him with the seamers bowling well but full credit to India being able to bat well in conditions out of favor to them.

England need wickets tommorrow or India will bat themselves into a winning position and England will end up having to bat for 2 days or be behind by 200 starting their 2nd innings which is pretty much a long way back.

Why is it a shame that Panesar is termed a 'good battle' for Sachin?

Because he is Sachin Tendulkar and he's getting out to Monty Panesar...

Name doesn't ring a bell? Lemme help you. He's widely...and controversially... regarded as one of the best batsmen of our era and the best ODI batsman in history. His fans and country regard him as a hero that plays his cricket with perfection. He holds the record for the most hundreds and is a prolific run scorer. And he's almost been playing on the international level for 20 years. This man is getting out to Panesar, a newcomer who debuted in March 2006, compared to Tendulkar's test debut in 1989. Seeing all of these stats and being emotionally attached to Tendulkar, who's been a national hero for around 15-16 years now, is why an ardent fan would say that it is a shame that Panesar is a 'good battle' for Sachin. Also, if you're planning on bringing up all of the negative stats on Tendulkar, they don't matter to emotionally attached fans. It's like trying to argue in favor of agnosticism with a Christian...just doesn't work!

Looking back, I think you could make a claim that England's batting in the 1st Test wasn't any better at all, in the sense that many of their early runs were not scored by better batting, but instead, gifted by poor bowling. India did not create any pressure at all with the new ball, as England first made a blistering 0/50 in 8 overs, then 1/100 in 20. However, they begun to turn the game around. Whether it was nerves or inexperience, it seemed to leave them and the Indian bowlers bowled much tidier. Once the partnership between Strauss and Vaughan was ended, England spat out 8 wickets for 80 runs. It is arguable that, in the presence of good pressure from the outset, England's 1st innings in the 1st Test might have emulated their 1st innings in the 2nd Test.

with the weather being fine, as Llyod said...the pitch might break up a bit later into 3rd and early 4th day. So India will look to have about 150-200 lead, score them at a decent rate and put England under pressure.

You cannot rule out anything right now, England can get back into the game, we've seen it happen several times with India...losing from winning position.
Some will hope that will not happen in the next few days.

Because he is Sachin Tendulkar and he's getting out to Monty Panesar...

Name doesn't ring a bell? Lemme help you. He's widely...and controversially... regarded as one of the best batsmen of our era and the best ODI batsman in history. His fans and country regard him as a hero that plays his cricket with perfection. He holds the record for the most hundreds and is a prolific run scorer. And he's almost been playing on the international level for 20 years. This man is getting out to Panesar, a newcomer who debuted in March 2006, compared to Tendulkar's test debut in 1989. Seeing all of these stats and being emotionally attached to Tendulkar, who's been a national hero for around 15-16 years now, is why an ardent fan would say that it is a shame that Panesar is a 'good battle' for Sachin. Also, if you're planning on bringing up all of the negative stats on Tendulkar, they don't matter to emotionally attached fans. It's like trying to argue in favor of agnosticism with a Christian...just doesn't work!

From that you are saying Panesar does deserve to be on the same field as Tendulkar?
He has over 50 wickets at an average of 28, so he is capable of getting Tendulkar and it is a good battle!

Its pointless to compare Sachin and Monty. One is nearing the end of a glorious career while the other is beginning it. I dont think there is any shame in Sachin being dismissed by Monty because the later is a fine fine bowler.

England are going to have to pull off some good bowling, otherwise they're going to find themselves way behind. India just need to carry on their consistency from the first 2 days.

Yes, the weather can only do so much. You still have to bowl well in those helpful conditions.

As for Headingley 2002, that middle 3 really fired. I wouldn't say that was a green Headingley track though.

Was`nt a green track but the conditions (in 2002) were as good as it gets for swing/pace bowlers .

Users who are viewing this thread