India in England/Ireland/Scotland

Its pointless to compare Sachin and Monty. One is nearing the end of a glorious career while the other is beginning it. I dont think there is any shame in Sachin being dismissed by Monty because the later is a fine fine bowler.

I watched Tendulkar bat against Monty and two things:

1. Tendulkar's footwork against spin is nowhere near as good as it used to be a few years ago. He gets stuck on the crease too much and pushes out instead of taking charge by stepping out when necessary.

2. Dravid and Tendulkar paid too much respect for a spinner on this pitch. Whether Monty is a good spinner or otherwise is besides the point, the pitch wasn't really offering turn and Monty is a finger spinner. Neither batsman really attacked him... That was what allowed Monty to bowl steady, rather than pressurize him by attacking him.

Is`nt it possible to get the whole ground covered like they do at Wimbledon.
I know that a tennis court is a lot smaller but there should be no reason why it can`t be done to a cricket ground as well with obviously care being taken to avoid water seeping through.

1. Tendulkar's footwork against spin is nowhere near as good as it used to be a few years ago.

Umm, Who really cares? I hate all these feckin' critics always comparing him to the 'old'. I know he's regarded as a 'demi-god' around the world (esp india) but that doesn't mean that he can go against the laws of nature and make him younger and fresher! His style has changed but he's still the awesome batsman that he was in the 90's. He has an awesome average of 74 in 2007. If that isn't enough for you, then just stop watching cricket.

That Karthik vs Sidebutt was class. That impersination was just brilliant. His Innings was great no matter what a frustrated english fan says.

Is`nt it possible to get the whole ground covered like they do at Wimbledon.
I know that a tennis court is a lot smaller but there should be no reason why it can`t be done to a cricket ground as well with obviously care being taken to avoid water seeping through.

Or have indoor stadiums instead.

harishankar said:

1. Tendulkar's footwork against spin is nowhere near as good as it used to be a few years ago.

Very valid point. I too have observed him getting locked.

Because he is Sachin Tendulkar and he's getting out to Monty Panesar...

Name doesn't ring a bell? Lemme help you. He's widely...and controversially... regarded as one of the best batsmen of our era and the best ODI batsman in history. His fans and country regard him as a hero that plays his cricket with perfection. He holds the record for the most hundreds and is a prolific run scorer. And he's almost been playing on the international level for 20 years. This man is getting out to Panesar, a newcomer who debuted in March 2006, compared to Tendulkar's test debut in 1989. Seeing all of these stats and being emotionally attached to Tendulkar, who's been a national hero for around 15-16 years now, is why an ardent fan would say that it is a shame that Panesar is a 'good battle' for Sachin. Also, if you're planning on bringing up all of the negative stats on Tendulkar, they don't matter to emotionally attached fans. It's like trying to argue in favor of agnosticism with a Christian...just doesn't work!
So? Ifran Pathan debuted against Australian IN Australia when he was 19 years of age & his first Test Wicket was Matthew Hayden when Hayden was batting far more superiorly to anyone at that time & was averaging 58.

Mohammad Sami has comprehensively clean bowled Ricky Ponting before but yet Sami's Test Bowling Average is around about 50. Does that make Sami a 'good battle' for Ponting?

Plenty of bowlers get batsman out who aren't better bowlers then they are better batsman. It doesn't mean anything. Hell, Michael Vaughan even made Tendulkar look a fool a few years ago.

I agree with this except that Monty is a diamond in the rough. I was a critic about a year back but have come on the other side of line now.

Umm, Who really cares?

You seem to care a lot since you posted a reply to my observation (which is nothing but an observation, not a criticism as you see it.

So, mate, it was just an observation on my part (and a valid one at that) - not a criticism. Stop getting so worked up and assuming things...

Another thing: People will always be comparing Tendulkar to himself over the years, so get over that as well...

Last edited:
Tendulkar was far from being at his best yesterday.
Having said that he seldom played and missed (except for one blemish against Jimmy Anderson) and has managed some runs as well.
India must carry on batting aggressively and show much more intent than they did in the last session against Monty.
We must also take into consideration that there may be a lot of time lost to weather and bat accordingly.

The ball is still swinging and Kumble looked good in the first innings. A lead of 150+ could be handy.

What`s the weather like at Nottingham at the moment.
The our by hour weather forecast does not look bad though, predicts sunny spells all through the day.

What this test again shows is that India are now better off on conditions that slightly favour seam bowling than those belters .
Our bowling can now hold its own overseas and team will think twice before dishing out a green top to India as it can al;ways backfire on them.

WE should start thinking of getting helpful wickets even in home series starting with that against Pakistan in Nov.
WE`ve seen enough evidence of India now using helpful conditions better in recent times (1st innings at Karachi 2006, SA 06-07,West Indies 2006 and now in England)

Last edited:
India is well placed at the moment. Hats off to Karthik who played exceptionally well. And Tendulkar/Dravid's partnership played an crucial part by denying the initiation of the collapse. Lets see how far this goes.. but India needed another huge partnership somewhere to get a big lead. Another possibility is, this might go in thriller too if weather holds good and wickets come in regular interval :p

Another thing: People will always be comparing Tendulkar to himself over the years

I am really wondering why the critics on Tendulkar is always ON!!! He is doing more than his best considering his situation at the moment.

REMEMBER, its never easy to rise up and shine again once you had been nailed over the head. But this guy is doing that well enough. How many critics.. how many critics after the WCup on Tendulkar.. how many people wanted to sack this guy... Those critics were never successful. He already answered those against SA recently..Still that pull shot against Ntini/Nel stand in my mind.... he will still continue is what i strongly hope and believe.:cool:

1. Tendulkar's footwork against spin is nowhere near as good as it used to be a few years ago. He gets stuck on the crease too much and pushes out instead of taking charge by stepping out when necessary.
Yes, he seems to be much more cautious and happy to play with his pad far often than before. But one can attribute this to him not being as attacking as before just because he has developed. I guess it is understandable. When you're young, you're carefree and happy to disrespect the opposition. Take the example of most of Bangladesh's current crop--they try and dominate the bowlers every ball. I think his psyche has just developed as any normal human being's--and he's always going to be more in doubt than he was when he was young.

It's a shame because Sachin is regarded as one of the top players against spin, and it is sad to see him get out because he is in a defensive mindset. That is why his treatment of Adil Rashid in the tour match was particularly special for me. He took the attack to the spinner.

i can see India losing this one...I can bet money on that Ganguly will get out early in btw 5 overs tomorrow in the morning and then the rest will fall like house of cards and India will then lead by only 85 odd runs and then KP and Cook will smoke Indian bowlers around the park and will give India around 280 to chase which will be impossible for them to achieve. btw..KD did play well

It's a shame because Sachin is regarded as one of the top players against spin, and it is sad to see him get out because he is in a defensive mindset.

Why is it shame, Sohum? He has handled greatest spinners like Murali and Warne in far more better ways.. Even now if you ask Warne, definitely, Tendulkar will be in his list. I don't see any shame in considering Sachin as one of the top players of spin.

Those defensive mindset problems have been in existence only now, that too in general not in particular against spinners,( which troubled him the most from DLF cup to WC2007 ) which remains as a mystery..

Well, lets see how Tendulkar plays today.. I have a feeling though that today is going to be the bowlers day.... Hopefully it happens other way :p Also, i am expecting Kumble to play a vital role in third innings of this game.

Last edited:
errmm juts a quick point..

maybe Monty is a good "battle" for Sachin , cos he keeps getting him out?

Anyways back to current match situation, even if England took 7-70 the'd be 120 behind..

Pretty much no coming back from this UNLESS we can get a lead and India have to bat in overcast conditions on the last day.

I think that the england batsmen gave their wickets away very easily
you cant always blame the toss,the pitch......

well we have been without luck this match..

we beat the bat enuff yesterday to have expected sufficient "nicks" to bowl a team out..

I karthik was slashing wildly at wide balls, played and missed at least 20-30 times, he was beat 5 time in one over off Tremlett..

then there was his swep shot to Monty's 1st ball..it was hitting middle stump 1/2 way up and give not out..he was on 43 at the time..

Users who are viewing this thread