India in England/Ireland/Scotland

Well to me that reaction looked more like a "I was so close to a Test hundred! I'm a fool!". I'm very unsure on the Karthik dismissal, technology showed nothing, but fielders and umpire seemed convinced. I do remember Snicko at times not showing edges when the ball did hit the edge.

50-50 imo, we'll never know :X-files:

Karthik says he got a nick and he has no doubt about that. So I would give that to the umpire. The batsman has a better feel of the ball, and if he says there was a nick, I think it was.

Prior is always going to be made to look poorer than his abilities with legside balls flying off even wider due to swing etc. But yeah, he can improve on his catching but diving and reaching the unreachable balls is good.

Its scary to think that we have another 15 wickets to take if we are to win, and in the middle of that we have to rack up some decent, quick, runs.

I've mentioned it already, but South Africa were 2-1 up in 2003 and we needed to win at The Oval. They batted first, Kallis and Gibbs saw them to 450+ and I think it may have even been 480. Trescothick then got 200 at the top of the innings, Thorpe joined him with a comeback tonne, and then super Fred absolutely leathered the Saffies for 95 with a fine tail ushering innings. Martin Bicknell of all people then helped skittle Safrica out second time round with a little help from a young(er) Harmison and we were left chasing a target of less than 200, which Tres had no trouble negotiating and the series was squared. (remind me to watch that Test match later on my "English Cricket's Greatest Victories' DVD)

Now there is a reason for my history lesson, and that is that we aren't out of the game if India do reach 450. However, we don't have Tres, we don't have Fred, we don't have Thorpe or Harmison and more importantly, we don't have Martin Bicknell!

Come on England!!

No you're right Matt, we have Cook, struggling to find the allrounder to replace Fred ( I suppose Collingwood) Ian Bell and Chris Tremlett ;) And the most important, we have Monty!

4/316 on the first day, not bad India. What is England doing?! Bad luck for Kartik:(

And bad luck for Gangers, BIG inside edge onto the pads. The umpiring has been nothing short of howling at times!

In fairness, we haven't bowled badly aside from Anderson's first spell. It's just been good batting on a flatbed.

I think England are very much still in this game. I believe India is now going to commit the folly of playing overly-defensive cricket in the morning session, so that they play out time as much as they score runs. However, this plan has backfired horribly in the past, so let's hope they play semi-defensive cricket--not overly-defensive cricket! :p

Tendulkar just 2 short of another 50 and he would like to get this one out of the way and forget about it and concentrate on the next one. India have still not had a centurion in this test series but can't complain much seeing that we are 1-0 up and 316-4!

I think England are very much still in this game. I believe India is now going to commit the folly of playing overly-defensive cricket in the morning session, so that they play out time as much as they score runs. However, this plan has backfired horribly in the past, so let's hope they play semi-defensive cricket--not overly-defensive cricket! :p

Tendulkar just 2 short of another 50 and he would like to get this one out of the way and forget about it and concentrate on the next one. India have still not had a centurion in this test series but can't complain much seeing that we are 1-0 up and 316-4!

It's happened in the past... I hope Laxman gets on with it a bit more than he did in the Trent Bridge Test match. This pitch should suit his style of batting as Ravi Shastri observed during commentary.

I think India will depend on Zaheer Khan getting reverse swing after the ball is 30+ overs old. And of course, Kumble should start being more effective against the top order, otherwise India could be in big trouble.

The best thing in favour of India is that England will have to bat last. Let's hope that India score enough in the 1st innings to ensure that England have to chase over 250 in the second innings. I don't see India batting only once in this match...

You're right there, hari.

India will need to bat well today, at least manage till tea. A lead of 500~ should be good enough.

Bowling will rely on zaheer and SS with the new ball, RPS may not be the same bowler if the pitch remains the same. There may not be great deal of swing. Kumble should expect a burden of bowling tomorrow, his last in England.

I agree with that. Playing too defensive tends to backfire, and you usually end up scoring fewer runs than you would if you went for the odd boundary and the very rare risk.

It'll be interesting to see how the young Indian bowlers tackle these conditions.

I think Zaheer will be hard-working and accurate as usual. RP might struggle a bit without swing, but after the ball gets older he might enjoy the reverse swing.

I think Sreesanth might be the surprise package. He's had a bad series so far, and after all the incidents of the previous match, I think he realizes how much it means to play for India after being dropped from the ODI side. He has a point to prove here and we might just see a new Sreesanth here...

I think Zaheer will be hard-working and accurate as usual. RP might struggle a bit without swing, but after the ball gets older he might enjoy the reverse swing.

I think Sreesanth might be the surprise package. He's had a bad series so far, and after all the incidents of the previous match, I think he realizes how much it means to play for India after being dropped from the ODI side. He has a point to prove here and we might just see a new Sreesanth here...

i never saw any of englands bowlerg getting reverse swing, anyway kumble should come into the attack fairly quickly this time round...

I think England can feel slightly unlucky on this tour. To have 3 front line bowlers missing would be a blow to any team. Our current crop of reserve bowlers have been unlucky, but i dont think its an attack to be scared of. I think a draw would be a fair result for england, they havent had much luck. Although saying that india havent had much luck with the umpires either. Ill be suprised if england do manage the draw now though, i cant see us getting 20 wickets with our attack.

Users who are viewing this thread