India in England/Ireland/Scotland

Run a ball hundred for the mighty midget gem. I love Ian Bell, glad he's got a hundred. A well played one too.

They also made a left-arm spinner from Zimbabwe look absolutely lethal, didn't they? I forget his name. ;)
Ray Price?

Then who can forget Douglas Marillier's little heroics against India (I forget the match and the venue)?
I was fortunate enough to be in school during that match. :D

Yeah, maybe I should not have been too critical of Piyush. He did bowl when the batsmen were relatively settled.

Maybe his best way to break into the Indian side would be in Test cricket. ODI cricket can be unforgiving to leg spinners if they're not really top class.
ODI cricket is cruel to even the most top-class players. I too think he should be brought into the side through test cricket but the selectors seem to have become paranoid after the time they decided to usher him in against England and Flintoff and Pietersen had a ball against him.

Last edited:
The only problem is it came against India. Don't forget that India has made the likes of Adam Sanford and Ronnie Irani look like world-class players.

Good excuse ;)

Cook and Bell played/playing really well. I was really surprised, Cook must've heard my post 3 pages back! :D Delighted for them both, 300 would be good, under lights bowling could be different. Come on boys!

Run a ball hundred for the mighty midget gem. I love Ian Bell, glad he's got a hundred. A well played one too.

You can say that again (obviously don't or I'll delete it!), a really good innings by Bell.

Last edited:
Good excuse ;)

Cook and Bell played/playing really well. I was really surprised, Cook must've heard my post 3 pages back! :D Delighted for them both, 300 would be good, under lights bowling could be different. Come on boys!
Hey... I need something to convince me he's not world-class for ODI's seeing that this series is going to be seven ODI's long.

How does the Rose Bowl play under lights?

I cannot be up late night to watch the match finish. I guess I'll have to turn to the newspapers tomorrow...

I cannot be up late night to watch the match finish. I guess I'll have to turn to the newspapers tomorrow...

According to one of the umpires who did a day/night game a few weeks ago, the difference was "Noticeable", they were saying on Sky. To be honest though, it always does a little more under lights in England.

288/2. Hmmm, I can't help but feel that's not enough against India. Ah well, runs on the board and all that.

If we can keep it simple, bowl wicket to wicket and line and length, the pressure is on India to chase this score down. They won't get any help from us through wides and no-balls so they will have to do it all themselves. I'm very happy with the score and I think it has put us in a winning position.

I think the lights have only be recently put in so the data gathered is probably not too accurate. Ian Chappell also commented that the lights were much lower than those he had seen at other grounds. Although I bet Chappell considers himself an expert in architecture and stadium construction.

288/2. Hmmm, I can't help but feel that's not enough against India. Ah well, runs on the board and all that.
This score makes me happy. Not because of the match situation but because of the frustration I have encountered in trying to do away with such scores in the Cricket Career engine. :D 288/2 sounds a little fake, no?

If we can keep it simple, bowl wicket to wicket and line and length, the pressure is on India to chase this score down. They won't get any help from us through wides and no-balls so they will have to do it all themselves. I'm very happy with the score and I think it has put us in a winning position.
You're saying England will not bowl a single wide or no ball? Both teams were bowling wides aplenty in the test series so that would seem to be an overconfident expectation.

Last edited:
100 for Cook!!! Fantastic knock! I suggest whoever that person is who goes on about Cook being crap at OD cricket has a nice juicy slice of humble pie :p Could be the start of great things for the 22 year old!

Not really, I said he shouldn't be in the team because he hasn't proved himself domestically. Which he still hasn't. I admit it was a good innings but he's still too slow because he won't get a century very often and so when he doesn't he'll have wasted so many balls. Also: Joyce was in a similar position - struggles initially then gets a century and the rest is history.

Also: get rid of Prior, open with a friggin' opening batsman rather than a damned rubbish one-day wicket keeper-batsman, even if they aren't as aggressive as I'd like. Eg, Key or Solanki.

In a way this innings is a very bad thing - it will convince people that our way of playing works when in reality it only does once in about 30 games. We are playing with one hand tied behind out back by not exploiting powerplays.

You don't understand, I said India won't get any help from us through wides and no-balls if we bowled line and length, wicket to wicket. I certainly don't expect our bowlers to bowl absolutely no wides or no-balls!

Users who are viewing this thread