India in England/Ireland/Scotland

I am still not convinced about Bell in spite of his performance... Pietersen at #3 is a far more dangerous batsman to contend with.

Agarkar out and Munaf in.

Possibly Utthappa in instead of Gambhir but I think Gambhir deserves another chance.

My team for the Welsh border ODI:

1. Alastair Cook
2. Ian Bell
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Paul Collingwood (captain)
5. Andrew Flintoff
6. Ravi Bopara
7. Owais Shah
8. Matt Prior (wicketkeeper)
9. Stuart Broad
10. James Anderson
11. Monty Panesar

[
It's as if Dhoni either scores at a SR of 100 or an SR of 10. I haven't seen him find a balance. When he's batting conservatively to save a game whether i be in Test or ODIs, he just doesn't score.

he does seem to be working on it, he played a fantastically composed innings against Sri Lanka to win India a match, so he clearly is working on playing outside of his natural style.

With all due, we have praised England. It was a terrific performance, but it wasn't a superly amazing performance that the media is making it out to be. I for one am keeping my feet on the ground as we normally put our best performance in an ODI series in the opening fixture. I hope we've turned a corner.

Exactly, although it won't last if we continue to play old-school one day cricket. If you don't look at the negatives in a game you will never know how to improve.

My team for the Welsh border ODI:

1. Alastair Cook
2. Ian Bell
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Paul Collingwood (captain)
5. Andrew Flintoff
6. Ravi Bopara
7. Owais Shah
8. Matt Prior (wicketkeeper)
9. Stuart Broad
10. James Anderson
11. Monty Panesar

So... Masher out but Panesar still in? Insanity playing someone so bad at one day bowling. I think I'll leave off criticising Cook for now, but I expecta failure for him. Also why open with 1 relatively unproven one-day batsman and a non-opener? Why not just pick an effective one-day opener?

Also Owais Shah needs to be higher up the order, preferably in exchange with Flintoff. I'd prefer Bopara to bat higher, maybe even 4 with Collingwood at 6 but with so few players adept at improvisation he needs to be nearer the bottom.

I hope that was meant as a joke... :eek:

India beating England 6-1 eh?? Don't spook us... :upray

I think it will be 5-2 in favour of England, most likely.

(now I'm spooking your team) Cook is the greatest, Flintoff is the greatest, Pietersen is the greatest!!!!
Your thinking is always negative.And conclusions after the matches are hilarious.;)

I think for India the team for the next match should be:

1.Utthappa
2.Ganguly
3.Tendulkar
4.Dravid
5.Yuvraj
6.Kartik
7.Dhoni (should be allowed to open ahead of Ganguly if chasing a large total)

Then the 4 bowlers with munaj in for agarkar

Oh and bring back Shewag for kartik

Last edited:
I think Panesar should be dropped. I don't know how many times i've said it, but he's just not suited to one-day cricket. He's a superstar in Tests and will be for many years, but he's a no-go for ODIs.

I'm surprised Ravi didn't bowl yesterday. He's basically a quicker Mascherano.

I'd line up like this on Saturday (which I will miss because i'm at Wem-ber-ley \O/)

1.Cook (i'm not in favour of him being an ODI player, but you can't drop a centurion)
2.Prior (i'm convinced he can do it; One innings away)
3.Pietersen (this bowling line-up is just asking to be thwacked)
4.Bell (again, i'd rather play Shah but you can't drop someone who's just scored a hundred)
5.Bopara (really underrated batsman, would put him ahead of Colly depending on game situation)
6.Flintoff (again, order of batting depends on what those above him have achieved)
7.Collingwood (read above)
8.Javier Mascherano (good player, he could also move up the order depending)
9.Broad (should be given an extended run in the one-day side; hasn't put a foot wrong yet)
10.Tremlett (he has bounce that makes some of the Indians look silly at times)
11.Anderson (our best/second best ODI bowler and the second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ)

Yes, I know there is no spinner, but Collingwood, Mascherano and Bopara can take the pace off the ball, and Bell and Pietersen can do a job if needs be. In an ideal world i'd play Blackwell, but we don't live in an ideal world.

So... Masher out but Panesar still in? Insanity playing someone so bad at one day bowling. I think I'll leave off criticising Cook for now, but I expecta failure for him. Also why open with 1 relatively unproven one-day batsman and a non-opener? Why not just pick an effective one-day opener?

Also Owais Shah needs to be higher up the order, preferably in exchange with Flintoff. I'd prefer Bopara to bat higher, maybe even 4 with Collingwood at 6 but with so few players adept at improvisation he needs to be nearer the bottom.

I don't rate Mascharenas one bit. Panesar is a spin bowler and should be in the team.

I want Cook and Bell as openers and when a wicket falls you get the smash bang and wallop of KP.

I'd line up like this on Saturday (which I will miss because i'm at Wem-ber-ley \O/)

The match is on Friday. ;)

Last edited:
Your thinking is always negative.And conclusions after the matches are hilarious.;)
I understand where youre coming from but you have to agere that the likes of Australia and Sri Lanka would have posted near to 350 against Indias poor bowling and especially poor fielding display.

There are two things that annoy me about England no matter what the result.

It they win the media gets far too carried away (in any sport)

And if they lose in cricket (esp test matches) we get the same old boring line of "we played good cricket for some sessions". I just feel like going up to the player and saying "You did'nt f*kin win and youve been collecting positives from games for years now without actually consistently winning.

The match is on Friday. ;)

Oh yeah. Well i'm still going to Wem-ber-ley!

To keep the post form being deleted, I will stress again that Monty shouldn't be in the one day team becaus ehis fielding is still below par and his style of bowling doesn't suit.

I never said England didn't bat well, i am just not letting 1 win BLIND MYSELF to the OBVIOUS flaws in england's gameplan..

but is you think 1 boundary and 20 runs is a satifactory return for 5 overs of power play then who am i to argue :p

They more than made up for it, with some excellent play in the middle overs.

It's hilarious, they put on 178 off of about 185 balls, and yet people still moan? No wonder the England team is always 'failing' due to massive levels of expectation. Yesterday was perhaps the best ODI performance I've seen by an England side, yet people still berate the performance.

People say about us playing old school cricket in the opening overs, I think they are wrong. We played the situation imo, Zaheer was giving nothing away, although Agarkar wasn't excellent he wasn't that bad either, nor was RP Singh. I don't want our batsman trying to improvise and be like the Aussies (which is what you're all basing it on, again that's funny, they have 6 batsman in the top 10 ODI batsman rankings) and get out and collapse and give us no chance of victory. Know your limitations and stick to them.

That said, 78 runs isn't that much in the final 10 overs, or 108 in the last 15, for that matter.

On that ground you would be hard pushed to score 90 in the last 10, let's of course not forget that the left armers bowled well in those last 10 overs.

Last edited:

On the contrary your levels of expectations of the Indian team are ridiculously unrealistic.

At least I see positives in a realistic way. On the other hand you can only think wishfully from what I've seen of your posts.

Read my posts again -- I did say that India can do well in the day games. Day/nighters have always been dodgy historically with India... All my criticisms are valid and only your blind fanaticism for Indian cricket makes you feel that I am negative.

Last edited:
On the contrary your levels of expectations of the Indian team are ridiculously unrealistic.

At least I see positives in a realistic way. On the other hand you can only think wishfully from what I've seen of your posts.

Read my posts again -- I did say that India can do well in the day games. Day/nighters have always been dodgy historically with India... All my criticisms are valid and only your blind fanaticism for Indian cricket makes you feel that I am negative.
What about your own fanaticism about the England team? You see positives in a realistic way stop kidding me.I havent predicted the result of this ODI series in this thread.But you are giving it to England 5-2 i wonder who is thinking wishfully after just one match.:rolleyes: I saw some of your posts when Dravid didnt enforce the follow on and your change of mind within 24 hours that says a lot about your thinking.Atleast i back my team but you are also one of those indian fans who leave no chance to criticise their team.;)

Mate I have no idea what you're talking about. Try at least quoting some of my older posts before you respond.

And if you cannot differentiate sarcasm from serious posts, then I feel sorry for you... I'll not take this further with you... that post you quoted was partly in fun trying to spook England's players by hyping them up... ;)

As far as criticizing the Indian team goes, keep accusing me of that - I don't mind in the least, because it's true.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread