India in England/Ireland/Scotland

I think Panesar should be dropped. I don't know how many times i've said it, but he's just not suited to one-day cricket. He's a superstar in Tests and will be for many years, but he's a no-go for ODIs.

I'm surprised Ravi didn't bowl yesterday. He's basically a quicker Mascherano.

I'd line up like this on Saturday (which I will miss because i'm at Wem-ber-ley \O/)

1.Cook (i'm not in favour of him being an ODI player, but you can't drop a centurion)
2.Prior (i'm convinced he can do it; One innings away)
3.Pietersen (this bowling line-up is just asking to be thwacked)
4.Bell (again, i'd rather play Shah but you can't drop someone who's just scored a hundred)
5.Bopara (really underrated batsman, would put him ahead of Colly depending on game situation)
6.Flintoff (again, order of batting depends on what those above him have achieved)
7.Collingwood (read above)
8.Javier Mascherano (good player, he could also move up the order depending)
9.Broad (should be given an extended run in the one-day side; hasn't put a foot wrong yet)
10.Tremlett (he has bounce that makes some of the Indians look silly at times)
11.Anderson (our best/second best ODI bowler and the second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ)

Yes, I know there is no spinner, but Collingwood, Mascherano and Bopara can take the pace off the ball, and Bell and Pietersen can do a job if needs be. In an ideal world i'd play Blackwell, but we don't live in an ideal world.

I almost entirely agree with you - I have long said Panesar hasn't played or performed well enough in domestic one-dayers to play for England, let alone know how to play well. Also I agree about Cook.

Don't like Prior, would rather an opening batsman to open and even a batsman with a good one day record. Tremlett I have been turned about, but Plunkett is far better, maybe too much of a muchness with Plunkett Anderson and Broad though.

I don't rate Mascharenas one bit. Panesar is a spin bowler and should be in the team.

I'm a spinner so shouldn't I be in the team? Reall you're just caught up in the Monty madness and are unable of unbiased analysis of him.

i want and expect powar to play instead of chawla, chawla showed he cant really bat that well and the english batsmen picked him quite easily.
I don't think Powar would have been any more effective on that pitch than Chawla. It is hard to spin on something that doesn't accept spin and it would be harder still for Powar since he is a finger-spinner (right?) and his fingers would have been severely affected by the chill. And if we are going to be judging the skills of players by one match, surely Cook and Bell are the best batsmen in the world and Zaheer is almost better than Ganguly, Tendulkar, Yuvraj and Gambhir combined with the bat?

No, I'm not caught up in the Monty madness, he's the best spinner in the country though and every side needs a spinner in it, otherwise they will have no variety.

you should open with karthik and Gambir then have Tendulkar and ganguly..

you shouldn't give england the best chance to get out your top players with the new ball..
The only problem I have here is that it wasn't really the new ball that dismissed Tendulkar or Ganguly. It was a pathetic display of running behind the wickets and a good field set by England which meant Tendulkar's scintillating shots went straight to fielders. I really don't see a place for Sachin/Sourav in the middle order because once the restrictions are lifted, these two won't be able to press for runs as quickly as Karthik/Yuvraj/Dhoni who are far superior between the wickets.

Not if that spinner is going to get battered, which is harmful to the team and harmful to his own development.

What I will say about the rest of the series, is that I cant see where India are going to get the wickets from. Unless Patel and Powar come in and do well, thats where they could struggle.
On the contrary, we have no idea if our bowlers would have been more effective under lights or whether yours would have without them predominantly providing the light. Not to discredit the English bowlers, but the Indians did everything wrong yesterday from the toss to their bowling to their fielding to their batting. Anyone can tell you India are not consistent, so I expect at least one department to pull up their socks! :p

I just feel like going up to the player and saying "You did'nt f*kin win and youve been collecting positives from games for years now without actually consistently winning.
LMAO. That is very nicely phrased. :)

No, I'm not caught up in the Monty madness, he's the best spinner in the country though and every side needs a spinner in it, otherwise they will have no variety.
South Africa seem to be doing fine without a front-line spinner in their top XI.

Last edited:
Panesar is crucial to England in the long term definately.

Indeed he is. But not to our long term ODI development. The selectors need to show a bit of balls to drop him. He's just not a one-day player.

Sohum makes an excellent point about South Africa. They are the second best team in the world and they've done it without a proper spinner.

The only advantage of a spinner in ODI"s is the ability to take the pace off the ball, which we now do not require now that we have 3 medium pacers who are all very capable at mixing up their pace. You will not find an ODI pitch in the world that would genuinely offer Panesar a chance to get ontop of a batsman and take wickets. Mascherenhas/Bopara/Collingwood can all take the pace off.

And Bell. I remember him being legendary in the Sri Lanka maulings last year.

And he has 200 Test wickets on ICC2006 and we all know that's what the selectors base their selections on.

Oh and bring back Shewag for kartik

I'm sorry but do you know how stupid that sounds?

Karthik was probably the only one that got his eye in and played good shots yesterday, perhaps the only positive from the match for us.

Plus, he's in the form of his life and Sehwag, I believe is way past it.

I'd have to go for Monty to be a permanent in English side, Tests and ODIs both. You do need a bit of variety and still the series is far from over, 4 more games to follow. So, plenty of opportunities for Panesar to shut his critics up.

England aren't Australia so why do people expect them to play like Australia?

Yesterday was as good as you can get in an ODI match.

Bat well, get hundreds, runs on the board

Bowl well, take wickets

Field well. Jonty Panesar led by the front as he always does with a superb athletic run-out (:p)

We beat India by 104 runs. Can't we be optimistic for at least until the next match?

As long as we keep bowling like this, I don't see India thrashing us.

Bell score 126 off around 110 and he still gets criticised? :rolleyes:

Cook is a proper opener. He got a hundred yet people still aren't happy.

England fans complain that England performances don't change and we always end up losing yet their pessimistic attitudes don't seem to change even when we're winning.

I think Monty showed that ye can vary his pace so he is learning. I'd stick with him. I would like Prior to be batting at around 7 as he doesn't look an opener. Hopefully, he'll prove me wrong.

I'm sorry but do you know how stupid that sounds?

Karthik was probably the only one that got his eye in and played good shots yesterday, perhaps the only positive from the match for us.

Plus, he's in the form of his life and Sehwag, I believe is way past it.
Sehwag isn't way past it in my opinion, although suggesting that he should replace Karthik is pretty ridiculous. There are plenty of other players whose position Sehwag can take over, for example Ganguly and Gambhir.

I'd have to go for Monty to be a permanent in English side, Tests and ODIs both. You do need a bit of variety and still the series is far from over, 4 more games to follow. So, plenty of opportunities for Panesar to shut his critics up.
You mean 6, right?

Last edited:
It's the first time England have hosted a 7 ODI series. Good, and I hope it's the last.

3 tests, 3 ODIs, the perfect tour.

Users who are viewing this thread