India in England/Ireland/Scotland

The Lords groundsmen are amazing. How the hell have they got the pitch looking like that after the minor flood earlier? Seriously, you wouldn't even notice that it had rained.
Evidently they've spent 2.5 million dollars (or maybe even pounds) on improving the drainage system.

Well, at least justice was done. If Pietersen had have walked off and that would have been that, it would have been a huge talking point.

It shows how good Simon Taufel is really. Other umpires would have moaned about the batsman not respecting their decision and that they can't go back on what they've done. Taufel went to the third straight away.

Batsmen's should never walk. It's a batsman's job to protect his wicket, umpire's job to give him out etc, etc...

KP is out. I saw that coming a mile off. England in the mire.

That is disgraceful on Dhoni's part, claiming that.
I agree that he shouldn't have appealed confidently, but should have looked for confirmation from the square leg umpire. However, this is slightly different because under the gloves it is quite a bit harder to tell if the ball has gone into the "wings" of the keeping gloves or not.

There is definitely something in it for the bowlers.

I'm surprised KP got out like that. After missing that delivery numerous times and edging it once, you would have thought he wouldn't fall for it again.

This is interesting. The ABdV incident brought up an argument over whether batsmen should walk but this is one of the reasons they shouldn't.
The ABdV incident was different, though, because it absolutely obvious to probably 14 of the 16 people on the field at the time, and also because he went as far as to motion to the umpire that it had hit his pads, in effect lying.

Yeah, My only problem was that it didnt hit the gloves on his fingers, where you'd expect a catch that low to carry to, it bounced then hit him right by where the hand joins the wrist. So it should have been obvious to him. I'd have had no problem had he just said, look I'm not sure if I've taken it, refer it. But he went up like it was blatant.

Lee, don't be naive. I'm not a wicket keeper by any means, but you know full well when the ball has bounced. I would have thought Dhoni was a better sportsman than to blatantly try to cheat like that.

@ Animator! - Yes, someone agrees with me!
If you're not a wicket-keeper by any means, I will happily reject the rest of your sentence. ;)

Yeah, My only problem was that it didnt hit the gloves on his fingers, where you'd expect a catch that low to carry to, it bounced then hit him right by where the hand joins the wrist. So it should have been obvious to him. I'd have had no problem had he just said, look I'm not sure if I've taken it, refer it. But he went up like it was blatant.

The bowler and the slips were going nuts too. And the Indian fans might have said "Dhoni did not appeal! He could have got the wicket for India! He is not a true Indian".

The ABdV incident was different, though, because it absolutely obvious to probably 14 of the 16 people on the field at the time, and also because he went as far as to motion to the umpire that it had hit his pads, in effect lying.

Yes, but if Dhoni knew he hadn't taken the catch (I'm not saying he did know), then what he did was even worse as it would have been hard for the umpire to see and he had to rely on the fielder's word.

Agree with this. I still don't think we can conclude that he knew that it had bounced, but I definitely don't think he should have gone up as he did.

Yes, but if Dhoni knew he hadn't taken the catch (I'm not saying he did know), then what he did was even worse as it would have been hard for the umpire to see and he had to rely on the fielder's word.
It is hardly worse than what ABdV did. The umpires are allowed to go to the third umpire to determine if a catch has carried, if both umpires agree that they cannot discern whether the catch was taken cleanly or not. It was Taufel's good nature that he trusted Dhoni, but you would see most umpires in that situation talking to each other before making a decision.

ANOTHER ONE OUT!!!!

Last edited:
I hate Bucknor :p

I hate the way he takes forever to give his decision.

Users who are viewing this thread