India in England/Ireland/Scotland

I'm a tad worried about England's bowlers. Anderson could be a one man band in this regard - Tremlett could see Tendulkar walking to the crease and lose his head, wides, no balls, the lot. Panesar will really have to dig in against such skilled players of spin.

Well, obviously I mean about keeping their recent record at Lord's intact. There is no doubting that Sidebottom and Jimmy are going to rip India to pieces.

Was that a sarcastic comment? :p

Still, there is something in it for the bowlers and the Indians have bowled well this afternoon utilising the conditions well so there's no reason England can't do the same.

I'm a tad worried about England's bowlers. Anderson could be a one man band in this regard - Tremlett could see Tendulkar walking to the crease and lose his head, wides, no balls, the lot. Panesar will really have to dig in against such skilled players of spin.
The lesson to learn is to keep your head up. Tremlett, Anderson and Sidey could be handful if they have one intense spell. All it takes is a small phase of play where the momentum of the innings changes. If our bowling line-up can have you at 295/8, I'm sure your line-up could more than duplicate that effort.

Was that a sarcastic comment? :p

Still, there is something in it for the bowlers and the Indians have bowled well this afternoon utilising the conditions well so there's no reason England can't do the same.
I'm just employing evertonfan's strategy of pessimism as it seems to be working wonders. :)

Last edited:
Today it's a world of difference compared to yesterday. England is wasting their good start. They struggled since yesterday when they've had to come out to play again after bad light stopped play.

Tremlett is a poor bowler though. He's never made any kind of impression at internaional level. I can see us getting taken for 500, Tremlett conceading a 100 in no time, with Anderson and Panesar sharing the majority of the wickets with Sidey chipping in one or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today it's a world of difference compared to yesterday. England is wasting their good start. They struggled since yesterday when they've had to come out to play again after bad light stopped play.
Unfair not to credit the Indian bowlers, I feel. I don't think England "wasted their start" as much as the Indians clawed back. This should be an interesting phase for England as they have been relatively untested all summer.

Monty out. I hope for the physcological effect of another 3 runs.

Might as well take 11 batsmen if you want to ward off the odd batting collapse.

Oh, I am not necessarily supporting the selection of those sorts of bit-part players, merely pointing out that for all the criticism Fletcher received/s for selecting them, they have their uses. This situation shows exactly why he didn't want an 8-10 that can't bat.

Tremlett is an odd chap: physically he has it all - good pace, bounce, height, strength but whenever I see him play he seems... reticent, as if he doesn't have the mental strength to compete. Against Australia in the ODI's in the winter this was aptly displayed. Also his fitness record is shocking and we certainly do not want anymore cripples in the squad.

Spot on V. I agree with you wholeheartedly on the Tremlett matter. Very good county player, All the attributes, he just crumbles when he needs to make an impression.

Oh, I am not necessarily supporting the selection of those sorts of bit-part players, merely pointing out that for all the criticism Fletcher received/s for selecting them, they have their uses. This situation shows exactly why he didn't want an 8-10 that can't bat.

Still, it's no good having an 8-10 that can bat but not bowl too well. In every test of the summer so far the top order have done their jobs. This time they haven't and it's more down to the odd rash shot and some good Indian bowling than anything.

He's also a shockingly clumsy fielder if I remember correctly. Can't get down very quickly. Anyway, back to my optimism - Bell and Anderson to have a big partnership.

Still, it's no good having an 8-10 that can bat but not bowl too well. In every test of the summer so far the top order have done their jobs. This time they haven't and it's more down to the odd rash shot and some good Indian bowling than anything.

Is it a coincidence we collapsed the first time we came up against a decent spell of bowling?

Oh my god! What is this that I am seeing? I just got up (after a long time, getting up at 9:30am on a holiday) and I see India turned the screws on.

Now this makes me more scared of what England bowlers can achieve. Our batsmen are not bad at overseas conditions.

Anyways give our bowlers some good conditions and see what they can do. I feel its not too much of bowling conditions. Just a bit due to the rain.

He's also a shockingly clumsy fielder if I remember correctly. Can't get down very quickly. Anyway, back to my optimism - Bell and Anderson to have a big partnership.

Is it a coincidence we collapsed the first time we came up against a decent spell of bowling?

For now, yes. If it happens in the second innings, no, it will prove your point.

You mean 8? And Simon Taufel was temporarily a fool, by your definition. :D

well, i said "seeing the replays, only a fool....would call it out". I guess Taufel realized it when he saw the replays.

Lets see how India will fare against the new ball.

Users who are viewing this thread