India in England/Ireland/Scotland

Spot on V. I agree with you wholeheartedly on the Tremlett matter. Very good county player, All the attributes, he just crumbles when he needs to make an impression.
Seems kind of like the English-bowling counterpart of Wasim Jaffer.

298 all out looks like a dream finish to the innings compared to the position we were in yesterday. I shudder to think about how Jaffer and Karthik will cope with the English bowling as I'm sure there'll be plenty of help out there for the bowlers.

Last edited:
Well, we always collapse one summer. Credit to the Indians the bowled well. The drainage was incredible! I thought Prior was a bit unlucky tbh along with Cooks dismissal I think that's 2 iffy decisions. Prior's was going over the stumps and Cooks was missing the stumps. I don't think any of the batsman played really bad shots tbh. Still it's nearly 300 runs, we won't have a big lead, and we will have to bowl well. But all our bowlers have to play for their places (bar Monty but he's Mr reliable). I'm quietly confident of a decent bowling effort.

Spot on V. I agree with you wholeheartedly on the Tremlett matter. Very good county player, All the attributes, he just crumbles when he needs to make an impression.

A bit hard to judge, he's never played in a Test or had a run in the ODis.

Last edited:
Well, we always collapse one summer. Credit to the Indians the bowled well. The drainage was incredible! I thought Prior was a bit unlucky tbh along with Cooks dismissal I think that's 2 iffy decisions. Prior's was going over the stumps and Cooks was missing the stumps. I don't think any of the batsman played really bad shots tbh. Still it's nearly 300 runs, we won't have a big lead, and we will have to bowl well. But all our bowlers have to play for their places (bar Monty but he's Mr reliable). I'm quietly confident of a decent bowling effort.
TBH, though, the decision weren't exactly deplorable. Hawkeye suggested that the ball was going to be missing the stumps by the thinnest of measurements, and I feel the likelihood of achieving enough contact from a moving object would have been pretty high in both cases.

England already out for 298 runs. The cloudy conditions may have helped the indian bowlers. If the indian batsmen struggle against the new ball as well, you could say the conditions have an effect.

TBH, though, the decision weren't exactly deplorable. Hawkeye suggested that the ball was going to be missing the stumps by the thinnest of measurements, and I feel the likelihood of achieving enough contact from a moving object would have been pretty high in both cases.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's the worst decision ever but I think the batsman should be miffed. Without Hawkeye they didn't look out to me.

Good first over from Sidebottom.

This innings will give us the opportunity to see who is going to be the new Yousuf/Hussey/Chanderpaul.

Jaffer doesn't seem too comfortable to me. Anderson bowling too far outside off stump.

The errors are quickly appearing with Prior's glovework...

Like I expected, it's the conditions that is helping the bowlers. Jaffer should be happy that he is still out there.

It was an easy chance this level. It's not like he didn't get all it. He got the entire ball in the webbing and it went straight out. He could be forgiven it had hit his fingers, because then it becomes a very difficult chance; But he got an entire hand on that and he most definatly should have held it.

Neither of the batsmen look that comfortable to me. Karthick is getting squared up by Sidebottom, not only by his inswinger, but by his away swinger. A flaw in his technique that we should build upon for this series. As the commentators on Sky have said, Jaffer favours the leg-side, if we probe a tight line just outside off-stump then we will get him time and time again, with his lack of foot movement.

Sidebottom and Andersen have both made very promising starts with the ball for us.

SS; Whilst Tremlett has never been given a consistant run in ODI's, I would expect a player who has the mental and physical game to play at the highest level would at least show a glimpse of what they can do in a single game. To me Tremlett has never even shown in a spell that he can perform at this level, in my opinion. Although I would dearly love him to make a complete fool of me and take 5-fer not many in no time at all.

Good bowling from india, they will need to bat well. England seem to be bowling well

Good bowling from india, they will need to bat well. England seem to be bowling well

If we keep bowling like this, Karthik or Jaffer will get frustrated and play a stupid shot. Until we get a wicket, I refuse to say we are bowling well.

Anderson and Sidebottom both seem to get generous swing out of the pitch. Both Karthik and Jaffer are not comfortable with in-swingers or cutters, so thats one thing the English will have to work on.

The 'bowlers running on the pitch' rule is the silliest one in cricket. It's not as if they do it on purpose and the umpires are always way too strict on it.

The 'bowlers running on the pitch' rule is the silliest one in cricket. It's not as if they do it on purpose and the umpires are always way too strict on it.

I would give that accolade to the Bad Light regulations, but you're right, it's just natural for the bowler to follow through how he is. It's not as if he's doing an Afridi! If he's got his mind on where he follows through when he runs in, he's going to get the bit that matters badly wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread