India in England/Ireland/Scotland

no way England can get 400 in these conditions. a lead of 500 is really unnecessary

I mean england might want a lead off 400, to be on the side. That would be more then enough

300 is enough on this pitch. It's swinging all over the place.

IF (that's a big If thus the capitals) England bowl aswell as they did in the first innings than a target of maybe even 250 is enough. I want 300-350. Play tonight is looking unlikely though.

I doubt England would declare if they didn't get a lead of at least 360.

As an Indian fan, you'd be pretty pleased if India will need 300 to win.

That's assuming England even get that far.

If we get a lead of 300, we might try and smash another 50/100 assuming we do that well

If indias batting, however clicks, then clearly game on

Sidebottom is always lethal when there is swing so a lead of over 300 and I don't think India will win.

A lot of ifs being brandished around at the moment. I feel that if we get a century maker in our innings then we will have enough runs. I'd never back against India chasing anything though; They are just that kind of team. However, A repeat performance of our first innings would bowl any team out for less than 250.

This is what I don't understand - Jaffer does pretty well in difficult conditions yet is criticised, Karthik fails to brave the storm (which Jaffer managed to do) and yet there's scant reference to it. This blatant favouritism shows exactly the problem with fans judging selection. Obviously nobody is completely neutral (although I am perfect in judgement ;), but seriously, see: Cook)but fans often get caught up by the flavour of the month. Incidentally I am not just talking about Indian fans - England too...
Although I agree with your general analysis of an Indian cricket fan, I disagree on this note. If you track Jaffer you will notice that he may have survived difficult conditions a few times but he has also failed remarkably many times. In fact, prior to this innings, he had been dismissed in single figures 11 times in not too many games. I agree with others here that that is cutting it a bit thin as a Test opener, because it puts lots of pressure on our middle order.

c) To improve his fairly >> UGLY << Test Bowling Average of 38 aswell. :p

Since when did Ganguly become one of the top 3 players in World Cricket?

Hahahaha.
Since you started realigning his words. He said "3 of the best" not "the 3 best". :rolleyes:

Sidebottom is always lethal when there is swing so a lead of over 300 and I don't think India will win.
Sidebottom's track record in the second innings is also so considerably worse than his first innings record, going by the 5 games he's played. :D

Well can't say I didn't expect something like this to happen:

Sohum Misra said:
In my opinion, India, even at this precarious stage, should take a lead of at least 50 runs. However, I have a sneaky little feeling that we will be bowled out within 250.

Looks like I had made my prediction on the optimistic side. Ah well, looks like with plenty of rain around, we could hope to get away with a draw. That's if our bowlers don't do something phenomenal tomorrow. I'm glad HP7 was released today because it meant I didn't have to watch too much of the cricket.

Last edited:
Interesting day's play. Obviously England are in the stronger position, but given the way we collapsed in the first innings any result is still possible. Hope we get some decent weather tomorrow (small chance I'm guessing but I live in hope) & get something approaching a full day's play in.

Nice to see Jimmy Anderson back to bowling something like his best too. Obviously the conditions look tailor-made for his type of bowling, but he's exploited them fully & was shrewd enough to be able to bowl to a plan; clearly England had come into the game with the thought that Dhoni was susceptible to the short ball so he dropped his length back & Bob's your auntie's live-in lover. Hopefully AD will prove to be a more sympathetic coach to Jimmy than Cooley was. Good as he was for our other seamers when he tried to tinker with Anderson's head position it set him back years as a bowler.

Users who are viewing this thread