India in England/Ireland/Scotland

Jimmy Anderson seems to have come back with a bang.
Definitely the best I've seen him bowl.

India are still in this with Collingwood in next who seems to struggle against skiddy leg spinners such as Kumble.

If the Indians put some pressure on the England batsmen and take wickets we could have a game on.

This series will make us realize that we don`t have anybody in the side who can lift the runrate

You have Tendulkar, Dhoni and Ganguly has been knowned to do it as well.

Last edited:
I think Collingwood will learn to play with his bat. He did i against Warne in Australia.

3 things will determine the outcome of this match

1 - Whether or not England get at least 200 in their 2nd innings
2 - The weather
3 - Whether or not there is still swing and if the pitch flattens.

Karthik could get India off to a flying start. He looks much more capable then Jaffer.

Jimmy Anderson seems to have come back with a bang.
Definitely the best I've seen him bowl.

India are still in this with Collingwood in next who seems to struggle against skiddy leg spinners such as Kumble.

If the Indians put some pressure on the England batsmen and take wickets we could have a game on.

You have Tendulkar, Dhoni and Ganguly has been knowned to do it as well.

Thats all well in theory mate.
I/we have seen a lot of Indian cricket and we have always been great on paper.
Only Tendulkar seems to be playing some attacking cricket.
Dhoni is over-rated in my opinion as he hasn`t done anything outside the subcontinent (West Indies in 06 and SA in 07)
Dravid seems to let things drift and he should have tried Kumble in the 35-min session yesterday.

Thats all well in theory mate.
I/we have seen a lot of Indian cricket and we have always been great on paper.
Only Tendulkar seems to be playing some attacking cricket.
Dhoni is over-rated in my opinion as he hasn`t done anything outside the subcontinent (West Indies in 06 and SA in 07)
Dravid seems to let things drift and he should have tried Kumble in the 35-min session yesterday.

Dhoni will struggle against Tremlett who bowls back of a length and Dhoni won't be able to get onto the front foot as he likes to do but may prosper against Sidebottom and Anderson who look to get the ball to swing.
If they still get it to swing however its a different story.

I think Collingwood will learn to play with his bat. He did i against Warne in Australia.

3 things will determine the outcome of this match

1 - Whether or not England get at least 200 in their 2nd innings
2 - The weather
3 - Whether or not there is still swing and if the pitch flattens.

Karthik could get India off to a flying start. He looks much more capable then Jaffer.

Warne and Kumble are different leg spin bowlers.
Collingwood seems to struggle with the ball drifting into him, straighting and getting him lbw and he has got out to Afridi as well doing the same thing.

I know but he was wary of Warne's flipper and Slider which he bowls as well as anyone else in the world

I think its safe to call Dhoni as a flat pitch bully and who can only perform when the conditions are not in favour of the bowlers. He got out playing a nothing shot in the first innings and I agree with most here when they say he has done nothing overseas.

Problem is as soon as India return to the subcontinent, Dhoni I am sure will score a big knock and will be retained for the Australia tour. Its time the selectors realise and differentiate between actual good players and players who just swing the bat.

I think its safe to call Dhoni as a flat pitch bully and who can only perform when the conditions are not in favour of the bowlers. He got out playing a nothing shot in the first innings and I agree with most here when they say he has done nothing overseas.
Problem is as soon as India return to the subcontinent, Dhoni I am sure will score a big knock and will be retained for the Australia tour. Its time the selectors realise and differentiate between actual good players and players who just swing the bat.

Exactly, it is time we make out the difference between flat-track bullies and the really good players.
The problem in this tour is that we have Karthik as an opener and hence cannot keep wickets.
I`d ideally have a second opener (I`d be tempted to bring Sehwag into the picture here ! :D) along with Jaffer and play Karthik at No.7.
Karthik at No.78 would be far more useful than Dhoni under testing conditions.
Karthik can accelerate when required and has a better technique than Dhoni if he is to face the 2nd new ball or give a top-order batsman at the other end some support.

I have no problem with us playing Dhoni in ODI lineup overseas but he is definitely not test material.

I wouldn`t mind Dhoni scoring a blistering 150 in the second innings and proving me wrong though !

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering Test pitches these days rarely favour the bowlers, Dhoni should be up for a long career.

Considering Test pitches these days rarely favour the bowlers, Dhoni should be up for a long career.
The fact remains that the ball naturally does a little more in non-subcontinental conditions and Dhoni will always struggle in these conditions. The overcast conditions in England mean that the ball will nip about a bit, and the extra bounce in South Africa and Australia will also cause him trouble, regardless of how flat the pitch is.

A lot of the indian fans are writing off india already. I know it would be difficult for a draw let alone a win. But india are not completly out of it, if the batting clicks who knows

Anderson bowled well, so did Sidebottom. Now Anderson has to back it up to stay in the team. He needs to develop consistency. Whatever Donald is doing behind the scenes is sure as hell working. Anderson made a nice haul though the 4 first wickets he got were stars. England are looking like they are well equipped in both the batting and bowling department. They have just convinced me that they are a better team then India are. India have good stocks in both departments, but England seem to be able to field 11 in form and well performing players. India have a few weak points. I'm looking for a closely fought match.

I wouldn't write India off. They have batsman who are capable of more then the English ones are. Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly and some of the younger ones arn't bad either. England are probably going to have to look to bat the day today. Get a nice score to put India out of it.

Last edited:

Yet Jaffer scored 53 more runs and averages more in Test Match cricket and considerably more in First Class cricket...

I think people here, Indians in the main, are getting really caught up in the idea of run-rate. The first thing you have got to do is get the runs, which didn't happen first innings, and once you are getting the runs you can consider the pace of it.

If india can also keep englands run rate low, then england wont declare till late

even at 2.5 rpo England would be 340-350 ahead by tea

India have to bowl England out to save this game.

But would england be happy for 340-350. I think they would want 400. To be completly in the safe side. I might be wrong

Vaughan gone, come on india. You cant lose the first test. I know you cant lose any, but as an away team you would never want to lose the 1st one, plus only 3 match series

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread