India in England/Ireland/Scotland

in what conditons?

slow..low..non-seaming..non-swinging conditions..:rolleyes:

lots of sub-continental player average 50 , cos pitches there are a batman's paradise..

So if the pitches are that good, how come Dinesh Karthik only averages 32 in FC?

Yet Jaffer scored 53 more runs and averages more in Test Match cricket and considerably more in First Class cricket...

I think people here, Indians in the main, are getting really caught up in the idea of run-rate. The first thing you have got to do is get the runs, which didn't happen first innings, and once you are getting the runs you can consider the pace of it.
I think you are getting too caught up in statistics, which obviously do not tell the whole story. Karthik has been promoted up to the opening slot only in the last two series and although we do not have enough basis to judge him on, he seems like he can hang around longer than Jaffer. Pointing out that he didn't do it in the last match is useless because I can point out to you that he did it in both innings of the first test match against Bangladesh. Jaffer has always been inconsistent, though hopefully he is finally working on it.

India have like 20 players whose bat average over 50 in First-Class cricket but instead select players with averages of 30s & 40s?
First class averages mean very little in Indian cricket because of the high difference in the aptitudes of the various involved teams. Besides, many people with remarkable first class records have found it difficult to make the conversion into test cricket, one obvious example being Wasim Jaffer.

We need a 100/150 more runs because we are England. England can lose from any position no matter how comfortable it looks.

The same applies to India as well.
We can lose from almost any position as well, at least that is what the fans think.
Tendulkar being introduced here, I don`t think we have that many runs to gamble with here.

So if the pitches are that good, how come Dinesh Karthik only averages 32 in FC?

Karthik is primarily a wicketkeeper batsman in FC cricket and hence the low average.

Last edited:
Decent lead, try to bat to tea now, I think. KP coming up trumps again. poor shot by Bell, he really doesn't like 2nd innings, does he? Colly a bit surprised by the bouncer from RP, who has bowled well.

well if england bat till tea, which i hope not and they score a 100, i dont think they will declare. they would want another 150 runs

Michael Vaughan and Paul Collingwood didn't do too much wrong really, they were just out to nearly unplayable deliveries. Vaughan looked to have played a solid forward defensive, then I saw his stumps cartwheeling back! Collingwood didn't have time to make a move, it was a nasty ball and it got on to him a bit quick.

I retain my prediction that England will win this test or it will be a draw, I can't see India chasing down more than 250.

Speaking of Karthik's ridiculous record, who is hot stuff in India at the moment? I've had a slight glimpse at Robin Uthappa who seems to have a bright future. What is the deal with Yashpal Singh? How near are Akash Chopra or Gautam Gambhir from reselection?

it will be a challenge for india to chase this score and it may be difficult, but england will be cautios when declaring, they will not want to declare too early and that might make them declare too late

i also think england set them too much of a high total, india might think we cant get this so no point trying to, just play sensible

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread