International Cricket 2010 Impressions Thread

Nothing personal here weals but this is a problem I have with some of these reviews. Similar to the early response to Ashes last year there was a lot of quite descriptive explanations of what was happening without really being objective. If I do buy it it'll be on Firday but hopefully it'll have become clear with time/more people playing it whether it is a worthy purchase.

No problem Chris,

Ill give you my no bullsh*t assessment.

Played from about 10 yesterday to 11 at night before fearing for my PS3's safety.

Firstly 20/20
Played 2 games:

Aus (AI) 193-7 after their 20
England 102 all out after 17.2

New Zealand (AI) 212 after their 20
England 143 all out after 18.2.

Firstly the atmosphere in my opinion is not too different from the last game. The faint sound of music in the background after a boundary etc nothing too different.

The pacing and AI is much improved. Obviously the added action cam adds alot to this, if you were playing in normal camera mode, you would think you were playing Ashes Cricket with better AI. Which is not too bad.

Tests.
Bowled Aus out for 214 South Africa for 195 and India are 187-2

Inititially feared was too easy. This was with minimal HUD. However India are proving me wrong.

You may say use HUD off when bowling and it wil be the way forward but to start with its a no-ball fest and you wanna through it out the window.

Fielding is still clunky, they dive in the infield but needlessly and theres no sign of a dive on the boundary.

AI still seem to get set and decide to play some odd shot and get out.

Indian innings has been far better paced at 3.8 an over and just good play. This is at the Oval on what is said to be a great batting pitch.

Action cam for batting is far better than for bowling. Dont get me wrong the bowling cam is good and adds a bit to the game, but its still your point and go bowling system.

Whereas batting requires more thought!

Spinners do not get smacked, AI will work them around and if you mix it up you can cause problems.

Wickets of all sorts can occur. Yes LBW and Bowles are very very possible if you bowl well enough. I have had seamers squueze it past bat and pad and inswinging deliveries trap batsmen on the crease.

All in all so far its been VERY enjoyable. Batting is great with the cam and bowling is still your usual bowling however with the knowledge if you bowl well wickets such as LBW etc are possible.

One thing on a personal opinion note i would say is:

When bowling getting the play and misses are superb. However you no the batsmen has not snicked it or got a feather on it as it does no revert to the catching reticule. When they do edge it it switches to the catching camera so quickly you dont really see he edge.

However play and misses do reduce a batsmens confidence obviously.

Its hard to put a downer on this game. Purely as nothing really is wrong with it.

No exploits when bowling and no real AI problems when batting. No middle order rubbish from the AI.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate a bit on bowling with the HUD completely off. Is it really that bad with the no balls? Cause I imagine bowling with no HUD should make for better AI scores.

Can you elaborate a bit on bowling with the HUD completely off. Is it really that bad with the no balls? Cause I imagine bowling with no HUD should make for better AI scores.

Yeah of course, its decent and definitely the way forward.

Personally everyone looking for a challenge will enjoy as you no longer can see the reticule and what colour it is. Therefore leaving it down to memory and slight of hand to get the ball in the correct area. Obviously as the marker starts in the same point remembering to nudge it up slightly into a good length shouldn be too hard.

However moving it up and bowling a yorker will be tough as it should be resulting in half volleys and full tosses!

Obviously to execute the ball correctly you get your normal meter, when this gets taken away you have to use the bowlers body to gage when to release it.

Im normally good with my timing and accuracy but let me say stopping the meter in the perfect zone is a seriously tough thing to do!!!

Just to add with the reticule visable you will be able to stick it on a good length over and over without to much bother.

Last edited:
After maybe 5 hours of tutorials and a wee go in a test, just to get a feel, this does look good. Playability is great, every run scored does feel earned, every wicket taken even more so. I'm sure we'll find faults as we put more time in but for now, as a first impression, I love this. Not sure if I'll persevere with HUD off for bowling as it is damned hard to get right, practice will change that though. HUD off for batting is immense fun, frustrating and difficult it's true but isn't that just like the real thing? Yep, fielding could be more impressive but it's not looking like a gamekiller by any stretch of the imagination. It really is a big step up from previous games in the series, way more than an AC09 1.5 that's for sure.

Is it me or is it really hard to hit fours at Lords? Even with "perfect" timing I can only hit them square of the wicket. Not had one drive reach the fence. It was the same for the AI - the outfield seems really slow...

It sounds good. I'm sorry about what I said yesterday, I was making a judgement on the game too early. Thanks to everyone who has posted about the game.

Just one question, how often are maiden overs bowled in a test match?

Just one question, how often are maiden overs bowled in a test match?

By AI or by the user!?

Because obviously if your good enough at batting your score...

and when India were 187-2 against me off 45 overs yesterday i had not managed one maiden!!

This is due to no balls aswell!

I'm more concerned about whoever made Michael Yardy a) England's best bowler and b) a right arm leg spinner.

ps I realise he is a custom character

Have just finished a Twenty20 game aginst the AI.

Twenty20 - Hard Mode
Bowling - Minimal HUD
Batting - Minimal HUD
England (ME) v Scotland (AI)

England 195/4 from 20 overs.

Scotland 67 all out from 9.1 overs.

51 overs: India 201/2: Gambir 84* Sachin 77*

India are putting me firmly in my place.

9 overs till tea and i cant buy a wicket!

Wicket India 205/3

Finally partnership of 156 is broke, Harris looks like the only person capable of causing trouble gets offered a simple return catch by Gambir for 85

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread