Story Mental Blank - What was meant to go here?

Two Decent Sides + Flat Pitch = Drawn FC Game

12/2/08

For our FC match this week we were playing JTs Cowboys. I knew that if we could rack up a score then we can get a win. I didn't play our strongest side but Lampard was still in it, Shackell would be the main bowler in our attack. We won the toss and elected to bat first, which seemed like a good idea.

We didn't get of to the greatest start with our first wicket falling on 24. Basson went for a well made 66. Sayce and Lampard were the century-makers scoring 101 and 130* each. Fenoughty provided some good support with 62*. Mental Blank - 5/413dec.

Unfortunately our bowling wasn't as good as our batting and we let JTs Cowboys make a pretty decent score. Bone played a beautiful innings scoring 173 but the next highest scorer was Scholes with 55. Faulkner was brilliant with the ball taking 6/83 off 27 overs. JTs Cowboys - 9/380dec.

The plan was to try and set out for quick runs. We didn't really get it though Basson and Sayce played well ensuring a loss for the away side was going to be a very hard result to achieve. Mental Blank - 3/250dec. (284 runs required for victory)

We then had to back up that innings with a bid to get quick wickets, though JTs Cowboys were making it very hard to do so. Dixion and Faulkner both got one wicket each but no one else could get a break-though and with half an hour to go the umpires decided that no result could be achieved and called the players off. JTs Cowboys - 2/129

Match Result - Drawn

"To be honest, a draw was the fair result in the end. Both sides batsmen played well and I don't think anyone deserved to lose. I think we can take away a few points into the next match we play with them, don't pick a flat pitch *laughs*."

My post game speech to the press, which generated a bit of humour :D

I think you should've played a more aggressive game in your second innings, and you could've declared earlier to have more of a chance.

I think you should've played a more aggressive game in your second innings, and you could've declared earlier to have more of a chance.

I did put some of my players on agressive but it didn't pay off. Lampard was on very attacking and he is my best batsmen.

Crushing 10 Wicket Win Provides Mental Blank With First OD League Victory

15/2/08

Whyllaya norrie east CC vs Mental Blank

Today in the OD League we were playing a bot away from home and I knew that if we got on top of them early it was always going to be hard for them to get back into the game. They won the toss and elected to bat first on a green pitch.

There innings didn't get of the greatest of starts, Whyllaya crumbled to 6/55 with some quality bowling from Bradshaw, Pearse and Shackell. Bradshaw (3/29 off 7), Pearse (4/15 off 9.2) and Shackell (1/7 off 5) were all consistent and didn't give the batsmen anything. Whyllaya norrie east CC - 75 all out

Stoltz and Dodds knew that the quicker that we knocked off the runs the more our Net Run Rate would benefit from and they did that perfectly. Stotlz (33*) and Dodds (41*) scored 6 fours and 1 six between them as we cruised to the required 76 for victory.

"To say that we played well today is an understatement. All of the boys did the required job and we finished the game as quickly as possible. It is really nice to break our duck in the OD form of the game as we haven't won in our league this season but we did play our two toughest opponents. I am looking foward to next weeks match against The New Boonies, I won't be underestimating them because last season I went on TIE (Take It Easy) and it nearly cost us, we won by one run".

My long after game speech.

Last edited:
There was no resistance completely in that OD match :p It's indeed a dominating win! Nice nice. :)

A draw in the FC was probably the fair result but that OD win was excellent. Nothing like beating some rubbish bot ;)

Keep up the good work mate :)

Week In Review

Cup Match - Mental Blank vs Vick's XI

Vick's XI - 191
Brinkhuys - 56
Hadland - 4/20 (8.2)
Pearse - 4/27 (9.2)

Mental Blank - 1/192
Dodds - 86*
Fontaine - 70
Farr - 1/73 (10)

Match Result - Mental Blank wins by 10 wickets and goes through to the next round of the Cup.
MOTM - Dodds 86*

FC Match - The Bald Beavers vs Mental Blank

Mental Blank 1st Innings - 173
Dunn - 110*
Hone - 4/48 (19)
Beenham - 3/41 (18.3)

The Bald Beavers 1st Innings - 3/303dec.
Mawer - 158*
Howard - 104
Hadland - 2/73 (18)

Mental Blank 2nd Innings - 128
Dunn - 45
Mcauley - 6/31 (13)
Sinethemba - 2/35 (9)

Match Result - The Bald Beavers won by an innings and 2 runs

FC Standing = 5th out of 8th
OD Standing = 5th out of 8th

Easy Victory Provides Mental Blank With 2 Consecutive OD Wins

22/2/08
Mental Blank vs The New Boonies

I knew that today was going to be a wierd match-up. I have had only one close encounter with The New Boonies so I was a bit worried they might do it again. They won the toss and elected to field (:eek:) first on a flat pitch providing nothing for the bowlers.​

Richardson and Basson went about fighting. They knew they could score freely and did so. They put on a huge 130 runs for the first wicket stand when Basson was trapped LBW by Doyley for 63. Richardson and new batsmen, Lampard combined to continue scoring runs but Richardson was the last wicket to fall with the score on 2/269, he played beautifully for his 127. Lampard (83*) and debutant Carl Fleetwood (29*) then played aggresively to the end of the innnings. The innings ended on 2/320 - with an asking rate of over 6 an over.​

In reply, The New Boonies didn't really put up a fight. Wotton was the only man to do so fighting well for his 36, but no one stuck around with him. All of the bowlers bowled brilliantly Faulkner (3/9 off 5 overs) and Shackell (2/4 off 3.5 overs) were the stand outs, choking the required run rate and pushing it up past a gettable rate. The New Boonies were eventually bowled out for 73 in 20.5 overs.​

"To be honest I expected a closer game then that. 320 was going to be a gettable score but our bowled made them look feeble. I hope we can continue this in future games."

After game speech

Match result: Mental Blank won by 247 runs
OD Standings: Mental Blank is currently 3rd on the table

Last edited:
Yes, that was a terrific stuff from your bowlers. Also, I made an exit from cup today in an unfortunate way. :(

Cup Run Ends For Mental Blank

24/02/08
Mental Blank vs 8-Baller
Today was a big match. I knew we were up against it I told the boys to give all they have got in this game as were playing a Division 4 side. (GFI) We were playing at home so at least we were familiar with the conditions and as usual the pitch was flat. 8-Baller won the toss and strangely elected to field.

The opening stand between Fontaine and Dodds lasted 88 runs when Dodds went for 46. Lampard and Dunn where the best of the batsmen making 51 and 58* each. Other than that there wasn't much else to write home about. Hastings was the pick of the 8-Baller's bowlers taking 4/59 (10). Mental Blank ended their 50 overs with a score of 8/237.

In reply 8-Baller had no trouble in knocking off the 238 runs required. Shackell (1/61 off 10 overs) made the breakthrough close to the end but it was to little to late, Walton was the only man out for 109. Nickson (120*) and Person (7*) were the not out batsmen. 8-Baller completed the chase with 8 overs to go.

"Let's be honest. They were a Division 4 side and to win today would of been a great achievement, unfortuanetly it didn't work out that way. We were probably about 40-50 runs short in the end."
A dissapointed manager, but happy with players after the match.

Match Result: 8-Baller wins by 8 wickets and Mental Blank go out of the cup, 8-Baller go through to the next round.

Wow, nice long run in the cup Lefty!

Too bad you couldn't win, he had awesome ratings! Wickets looked hard to come by on that flat pitch.

Nice effort. :D

If I was in your position, seeing that opponent ratings, I would have definitely TIEd instead of GFI and preserved the PFL factor. ;) Anyways, you had a nice cup run this time. I think, this has been your best run too.(in terms of rounds) :)

Keep up the good works.. The efforts which you take in updating this story has been fantastic. As a battrick story, updating it differs completely from updating a normal game stories. And you have been doing it excellently with more and more patience. Awesome. :hpraise

If I was in your position, seeing that opponent ratings, I would have definitely TIEd instead of GFI and preserved the PFL factor. ;) Anyways, you had a nice cup run this time. I think, this has been your best run too.(in terms of rounds) :)

Keep up the good works.. The efforts which you take in updating this story has been fantastic. As a battrick story, updating it differs completely from updating a normal game stories. And you have been doing it excellently with more and more patience. Awesome. :hpraise

Thanks so much for your kind words Suren! :D

I figured with most of my best XI not being needed for other matches (I am just to good :D) then I could afford to GFI, unfortunately I couldn't get the required result. And, yes that is my longest run in the Cup.

It is a little dissapointing not seeing tons of replies but Battrick is a game where you can't do heaps graphically and I am rubbish with PhotoShop etc.

Thanks once again! :)

Users who are viewing this thread