New Zealand in Bangladesh, October 2010/11

cricketmad09

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I see where you're coming from, and that's fine.
Yes Bangladesh have obviously improved, but I still think there's some stuff seriously wrong with NZ cricket, and the systems they have inplace really need to be looked at after this series.

Players like McCullum one day just look to have so much talent, but then he goes and fails five times in a row before repeating that talent, some goes with Ryder, and Taylor is the same to a lesser extent.

Maybe just say to them, everytime you play a stupid shot when it wasn't needed you'll get 50% off your match fee.

Don't blame McCullum, Ryder and Taylor. They're your 3 best batsman.

The problem lies deep in the roots of NZ cricket. They really lack any quality batsmen at international level after those 3 and the best domestic players have all failed at international level. NZ cricket needs to go back to the drawing board and start developing some true class batsmen instead of blokes like Watling, Redmond, Stuart.

NZ are also playing a bowler extra. You don't need the 3 quicks and the 2 spinners which leaves Vettori batting at no. 6. They should also be playing Franklin who's turned himself into a genuine all rounder.

They should have the 3 quicks and Vettori which leaves Elliot and Ryder as 5/6th bowlers. That would give you a tail of Franklin, Vettori, Mills, Tuffey.

Guptill should be in the team. Even though he's had a poor run of form NZ don't have the luxury of talent waiting in the sidelines.

My NZ team would be

McCullum
Ryder
Taylor
How
Guptill
Elliot
Williamson
Franklin
Vettori
Mills
Tuffey

Won't be good enough to beat the top teams but certainly good enough to avoid a clean sweep from Bangladesh.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors

Of course I'm going to blame them, they all got out to ████ shots on numerous occasions, that they should never of played in the first place.

Bar one innings from each of them, they played ████, so I have every right to blame them.

If they want to be treated like professional sportspeople, they need to show some maturity when batting, McCullum has over 250 international matches behind him, yet he's still failed to live up to all his talent.

Another fact for you, in McCullum's last ten ODI matches against Bangladesh, he's only passed 21 once! :facepalm

NZ are also playing a bowler extra. You don't need the 3 quicks and the 2 spinners which leaves Vettori batting at no. 6. They should also be playing Franklin who's turned himself into a genuine all rounder.

Franklin's been given so many chances, he's batted all over the order, bowled in every posion/role possible, he's just one of those players who's an interntional fail, like Sinclair.

(If he's selected in the future, hopefully he can prove me wrong)[/QUOTE]

Guptill should be in the team. Even though he's had a poor run of form NZ don't have the luxury of talent waiting in the sidelines.

100% with you there.

He should be though, his test form has been excellent although he should be batting at 6 and vettori at 7. Dont think he'll do any good coming in at 3 and facing a new ball.

I'm pretty sure they're going to play Vettori at six, Hopkins seven, then four bowlers.

Originally when Vettori was at eight, you'd have five batsmen, an AR, McCullum at seven, and Vettori at eight, even then our batting was useless, now we're going have Vettori at six, Hopkins at seven, and four bowlers...

The only place I can see McCullum playing is at three, as they'll more than likely persist with McIntosh and Watling, and Taylor and Ryder are look ins at four and five.

I'd like to see Williamson at six, Vettori at seven, and Hopkins at eight, then three pace bowlers.
Therefore you'll have three pace, Vettori, plus overs from Williamson and Ryder, plus depth to our batting with Tuffey down at nine.

ferg512

International Coach

The problem lies deep in the roots of NZ cricket. They really lack any quality batsmen at international level after those 3 and the best domestic players have all failed at international level. NZ cricket needs to go back to the drawing board and start developing some true class batsmen instead of blokes like Watling, Redmond, Stuart.

They should have the 3 quicks and Vettori which leaves Elliot and Ryder as 5/6th bowlers. That would give you a tail of Franklin, Vettori, Mills, Tuffey.

My NZ team would be

McCullum
Ryder
Taylor
How
Guptill
Elliot
Williamson
Franklin
Vettori
Mills
Tuffey

Won't be good enough to beat the top teams but certainly good enough to avoid a clean sweep from Bangladesh.

If McCullum, Taylor and Ryder are the three best batsman shouldn't they be blamed even more for not stepping up when the rest of the batting is useless. I don't really know whether that team is a whole lot better than the one they put out tbh. Everyone's going on about How and yeah he probably should be there but he's played international cricket in the past and we have seen him crumble before so I wouldn't really expect him to come in and do a great deal.

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Yea, the selectors will never drop McCullum. He's one of the best batsmen NZ have and will probably keep his spot despite his irritating inconsistency,

Franklin has reinvented himself as an all-rounder but he has yet to pull it off in international cricket. I would like to see How back in the setup, though in your lineup I'd have him at No. 3. I'd also drop Elliott and bring back Styris.

ferg512

International Coach
The only reason McCullum isn't getting dropped is because his egos so big he will say stuff you to NZ and just play IPL. He is completely self obsessed I mean what about giving up the test wicketkeeping eh, yeah thats really going to help. We are already struggling and thanks to his help Hopkins etc. will be selected and completely waste a spot. If NZC had any balls at all they would get rid of him.

cricketmad09

International Coach
I guess you have a point saying they should step up, but in the bigger picture the major problem is having no real quality apart from those guys.

I know the likes of How/Franklin have failed in the past, but who else do they have? It's not like theres really anybody else who deserves a spot ahead of them.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
In tests you could have McCullum opening with McIntosh. Guptill could play 3, Taylor 4, Ryder 5, Williamson 6, Vettori 7, Hopkins 8, then the bowlers.

Why doesn't Mills play Tests any more btw?

How and Franklin shouldn't be in the first XI but they would make good reserves I feel (at least better than Redmond, Watling, Stewart, etc.)

Sophie Hart

School Cricketer
Bangladesh will take time to beat the giants like Aussies and Kiwis. But more or less they played well

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Bangladesh will take time to beat the giants like Aussies and Kiwis. But more or less they played well

You do realize they just beat NZ 4-0. :p

How and Franklin shouldn't be in the first XI but they would make good reserves I feel (at least better than Redmond, Watling, Stewart, etc.)

I'd give How another go. The last time he played was in a Test against India, IIRC. He failed in that match but he's shown pretty good form recently in the CLT20 and in the NZA side against Zimbabwe. Franklin has been given plenty of chances, and hasn't really taken hold of any of them.

If NZC had any balls at all they would get rid of him.

NZ can't afford to lose McCullum. NZ's player pool is so small, so limited, that losing McCullum would be big loss. Who would you replace McCullum with? I pretty sure whoever it is, they just wouldn't be as good as he is.

Last edited:

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I would love to see them displacing West Indies in the international rankings and improvise to 8th rank. They deserve it.

Gurjot95

National Board President
I would love to see them displacing West Indies in the international rankings and improvise to 8th rank
They are already at 8th position. It was showed in the table displayed after the match. Don't understand why cricinfo has kept them to 9th despite having same ratings and better points than WI.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Rating is just points per match. If you have more points and the same rating, then you obviously have more matches too.

Technically, Bangladesh are 0.38 below the West Indies. It's just rounded up.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
It also depends upon the number of matches played to earn those points. West Indies have played only 18 games whereas Bangladesh have played 28 games.

khalek

Panel of Selectors
You didn't tell him that he's a massive fluke and he should hang his head in shame for celebrating such a fluke? :p

He looks kinda skinny on tv but he is a really muscular guy face to face. If I told him that, you know what could have happened to me :D

Gurjot95

National Board President
Rating is just points per match. If you have more points and the same rating, then you obviously have more matches too.

Technically, Bangladesh are 0.38 below the West Indies. It's just rounded up.

It also depends upon the number of matches played to earn those points. West Indies have played only 18 games whereas Bangladesh have played 28 games.
Thanks, got it now :)

Users who are viewing this thread