New Zealand in England May - June 2013

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Terrible shot from Rutherford. Good from Finn to find an area just outside his driving arc. Woeful footwork though really.

----------

Strangely I think England are actually in this. Snaffle out another few after lunch and this could still be a good day for England.

----------

Over before lunch, batsman just trying to bat it out:

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Short boundaries really don't help. Apparently the pitch has been rotated 90 degrees and now it's incredibly short straight boundaries.

It's one of those grounds where you see it on TV and you think, 'That looks small' but you think really, it's probably actually quite big and the cameras just make it look small. But then, they put up how big the boundaries actually are and you realise that yes, that bit of grass barely cut in the middle of a cold, wet summers afternoon known as English League cricket, is in fact, a lot bigger in terms of size than what the best players in the country are trying to play on. :D

The funny thing is that the Seddon Park (in Hamilton) straight boundaries who we took this Test off are only 2 or 3 metres longer, but no one complains about them because they have a "nice" grass bank surrounding most of it instead of stands. It's exactly the same for both teams, so I really don't see what the problem is. Maybe the odd 4 will now be a 6, but what % of wickets in Tests are actually affected by the boundary size, I'd say maybe 1%.

----------

And what was Rutherford thinking... well obviously he wasn't. He played so well for 26 overs, and then just threw all of that away.

----------

What's happened to New Zealand? We England fans used to have such a soft spot for them, because their pitches were like our early April and May monsters, doing all sorts. It used to be fun to watch Sidebottom look unplayable for two weeks and to see the batsmen have to work hard for their runs. Yet now, we get this? These pitches have just been terrible for exciting cricket. We need the old days back.

They're producing pitches for five day matches, and had there been no rain in both of the previous two Tests, there probably would've been results late on day five. Also you've got to remember that in Dunedin England were rolled for not much, and in Wellington we were rolled for not much.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
What % of wickets in Tests are caught in those extra 10 - 20 or so metres? 1%? One six this match was hit over a fielder at long on but that was easily a six, and there was that one directly behind the keeper which no one would've caught anyway.

Last edited:

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Well, Fulton's reviving form could be very nice for NZers perspective. They can finally have stable openers. :)

Hope NZ score 450 odd runs in first innings, that way we could see NZ not losing the match tbh

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
A great first day for us

----------

I thought about heading over after uni today but I'd only be there for a session and none of my friends like cricket so it would've been lonely :/

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Good day for NZ. Worst ever decision by England to make the NZers bat first. Fulton has really impressed after his selection and I really like him as an opening batsman. Very high potential, very less used.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
A great first day for us

----------

I thought about heading over after uni today but I'd only be there for a session and none of my friends like cricket so it would've been lonely :/

Pre-purchase tickets, otherwise they rip you off hard at the gate (apparently it's like $45 or $20 for just the last session). If you buy in advance it's only $22 for us students plus a transaction fee. I don't have uni on Friday so I could've headed down today myself (since everyone else does or has work etc), but I'll be going tomorrow and Sunday so I didn't bother.

I'm definitely looking forward to tomorrow, and there should be a pretty good crowd there.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
A great first day for us

----------

Find new friends imo. Maybe at the cricket :spy

bigred

Club Captain
We're not as good as we thought we were. also, i have absolutely no sympathy for cooks decision to bowl first. everyone knows drop in wickets are roads. everyone knows your best chance of winning, is getting out there and scoring big first up. worse than nasser's decision in Brisbane in my opinion. at least there he knew we were on a hiding to nothing and by batting we could have lost it in the first couple of sessions.

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
Pre-purchase tickets, otherwise they rip you off hard at the gate (apparently it's like $45 or $20 for just the last session). If you buy in advance it's only $22 for us students plus a transaction fee. I don't have uni on Friday so I could've headed down today myself (since everyone else does or has work etc), but I'll be going tomorrow and Sunday so I didn't bother.

i expected it to be cheaper at the gate but it costs 35 for students. :facepalm

ended up being worth it though, we just ended up losing one wicket :thumbs

Owzat

International Coach
Good day for NZ. Worst ever decision by England to make the NZers bat first. Fulton has really impressed after his selection and I really like him as an opening batsman. Very high potential, very less used.

Shocking decision by Cook, I suspect the absence of Pietersen and the disaster in the 1st Test weighed heavy on his mind.

England captains do have a tendancy weakness to see a little something that the pitch might do and decide to bowl, perhaps in part not wanting anything the pitch might do to leave England 100/5 say. General rule of thumb is win toss, bat first. You only bowl first if the pitch is set for the side batting first to be knocked over by close of play/first session of day two.

Of course having enforced the follow-on Cook should have factored that in, although England didn't actually bowl much on the last day and a (big) bit

So the kwikfit batsmen have a chance to put England to the sword, make most of it and you could cause an upset and win the series. The only way I can see England winning from here is to make inroads tomorrow, maybe knock the kiwis over for 350-400 (optimistic) and press on to make a big total and hope to pressure the kiwis and that the weather holds.

I think England's hopes of winning the series went with the decision to bowl, although I suspect pressure of runs on the board may be the best way any side has of winning on this pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread