Zimbabwe tour of New Zealand Jan-Feb 2011/12

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Those stats surprise me a little bit as most of the time I have seen Ellis he has been pretty awful (although mostly t20) and de Grandhomme is just an idiot, he almost lost Auckland a few games this season with his mindless slogging. I'm probably a bit biased though as I absolutely despise bits and pieces cricketers which is exactly what both of them are. But then again they are the types of players that excel in one day cricket.

That's pretty harsh on de Grandhomme. :p I actually think he's improved as a cricketer over the last few years, and that's shown this season with his FC average being 98 (with a S/R of 82), and his OD average being 59 (with a S/R of 122).

Also kind of disappoints me that they picked Bates now, he bowled ok in the HRV took some wickets but did go at 9 an over, when last season he was in the form of his life and they never picked him :facepalm

Yeah, I definitely agree with you there. In saying that though he normally bowls overs 2, 4, 17, and 19, so I'd say that a RR of 9 an over isn't that terrible like it normally would be considered to be. The commentators kept on going on about how good spinners were based on the stats, but remember they almost always bowled in overs 7 to like 15.

CremerCurrans

ICC Chairman
SA.....
ZIM...
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
I finally got the courage to look at the scorecard today, I really didn't want to look at it. I'm really disappointed in the side, it wouldn't of bothered me as much as if it had happened in an ODI or T20 match, but Test cricket had been the form of the game that they'd been most consistent in, since joining again. Looking forward to the ODI's now. We need to get as much as we can out of the tour, even if we arn't able to win any matches. Go Zimbabwe! I'll support you even if you do get flogged. :D

CremerCurrans

ICC Chairman
SA.....
ZIM...
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
Ray Price trained today so he should be fit for tomorrow's match. A possible line-up would be:

Hamilton Masakadza
Chamu Chibhabha
Brendan Taylor (c)
Tatenda Taibu (wk)
Malcolm Waller
Regis Chakabva
Elton Chigumbura
Prosper Utseya
Ray Price
Kyle Jarvis
Brian Vitori

I don't really want Chibhabha in the side, but he's the only opener other than Taylor. He's keeping Mutizwa out of the side, which is unfortunate.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
That was a pretty clinical performance even though we were far below our best. Guptill was the only batsmen who actually got going, against a better team 20s and 30s aren't going to get us anywhere. The bowling looked to be an impressive display though, which was pretty much expected considering it was our full strength attack in favourable conditions, against a pretty brittle Zimbabwean batting line-up. Overall I think 90 runs is a pretty fair reflection of the where the teams are at.

CremerCurrans

ICC Chairman
SA.....
ZIM...
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
It's probably better that I don't comment on the match, it would be a disappointing ramble. I was impressed with Shingi, apparently he has a good slower ball. What ever it was he was great at the death. Chigumbura chipped in as well which is positive. :)

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Does anyone have any idea why Gary Ballance is missing from the Zimbabwe side? Averages of 54 in first class and 56 in one dayers, plus a penchant for hitting sixes all indicate that he could be the perfect number three across all three formats for Zimbabwe.

The alternative could be different - I believe he's also eligible for England because he's played here for so long? Looks like a better prospect than Eoin Morgan.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think he wants to play for England so is not making himself available for Zimbabwe or something

CremerCurrans

ICC Chairman
SA.....
ZIM...
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
Does anyone have any idea why Gary Ballance is missing from the Zimbabwe side? Averages of 54 in first class and 56 in one dayers, plus a penchant for hitting sixes all indicate that he could be the perfect number three across all three formats for Zimbabwe.

The alternative could be different - I believe he's also eligible for England because he's played here for so long? Looks like a better prospect than Eoin Morgan.

I think he wants to play for England so is not making himself available for Zimbabwe or something

Yeah he wants to play for England, instead of Zimbabwe, which is what's happening to the Zimbabwe team at the moment. Players don't get paid much to play for Zimbabwe, they just get their domestic pay even if they play international cricket. That's why if players get a better opportunity they often leave, for example Sean Williams, Sean Ervine, that's why Sibanda wasn't on this tour he went to play club cricket in Sydney hoping to get a BBL contract , when he wasn't successful he came back and the board wouldn't let him train with the side and he wasn't included in the final squad. Things are still a mess in Zimbabwe cricket, that's why I'm not surprised the team is struggling so much. :(

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
That's quite sad really.

Brendan Taylor and Gary Ballance in the same team would just be unstoppable.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Oram playing an absolute blinder at 3. Wonder if it is fulltime or just this match? Looks a good move, only concern I would have is if he will be at the WC or not as ideally you would want to give whoever the number 3 is as much time as possible to get use to the position.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Oram playing an absolute blinder at 3. Wonder if it is fulltime or just this match? Looks a good move, only concern I would have is if he will be at the WC or not as ideally you would want to give whoever the number 3 is as much time as possible to get use to the position.

Situation. New Zealand could've easily just have sent Mills or Southee up the order too, both of them have probably scored more runs than Oram over the past three years.

Really not liking that McCullum might continue to bat at three though, he shouldn't even be opening with the abject numbers he's put up over the past few years. Williamson's wasted down at 5/6, I'd switch them around as quickly as possible.

1. Rob Nicol
2. Martin Guptill
3. Kane Williamson
4. Ross Taylor
5. Jesse Ryder
6. Brendon McCullum

Still not sold on Nicol at all but he deserves a decent chance with the start he's had.

Last edited:

ferg512

International Coach
Situation. New Zealand could've easily just have sent Mills or Southee up the order too, both of them have probably scored more runs than Oram over the past three years.

Really not liking that McCullum might continue to bat at three though, he shouldn't even be opening with the abject numbers he's put up over the past few years. Williamson's wasted down at 5/6, I'd switch them around as quickly as possible.

1. Rob Nicol
2. Martin Guptill
3. Kane Williamson
4. Ross Taylor
5. Jesse Ryder
6. Brendon McCullum

Still not sold on Nicol at all but he deserves a decent chance with the start he's had.

McCullum batting at 3 is exactly why I didn't want him as captain, as now he thinks he can do whatever he wants. Putting Oram up the order was beneficial to no one. Williamson should've been there, this series is just like an open wicket practice which is why I'm disappointed that guys like Latham and Williamson aren't higher up the order. I like the top 6 you listed but unfortunately it won't happen as McCullum would never relegate himself to 6 even if it would help the team out, and the things I've heard about Ryder lately I'd be pretty surprised if the guy plays for New Zealand again.

ferg512

International Coach
This is a disgrace, Zimbabwe aren't much better than a club side why didn't we use this opportunity to bat Latham and Williamson up the order? All McCullum is proving here is that he has and will continue to be a minnow basher nothing more. Hows this stat, he hasn't got a fifty vs any of the top 8 sides since against Australia - two years ago. The sooner Taylor comes back the better.

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
I'm finding this amusing :p

Vitori, 9 overs for 105 runs and takes a wicket with his last ball :p

But Zimbabwe completely dominated by McCullum and Guptill. 373/8 from their 50 overs. McCullum out on the last ball of the innings for 119.

Users who are viewing this thread