Zimbabwe tour of New Zealand Jan-Feb 2011/12

lancashire666

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Martin batting at 8 would be awesome. Watching him bat is one of the funniest things I've ever seen, my 7 year old nethew is so much better than him:lol

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
8 for 3!!!

Everything pretty much comes down to B. Taylor.

----------

and Taibu, so this is the big partnership.

Brook

Club Captain
Zimbabwe really going hard at this lowest score. This second innings might even be worse than the first.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
New Zealand Cricket - BLACKCAPS announce ODI and T20 squad to face Zimbabwe

(New caps bolded)

ODI squad:

Brendon McCullum (c) ? Otago Volts
Michael Bates ? Auckland Aces
Doug Bracewell ? Central Stags
Dean Brownlie ? Canterbury Wizards
Andrew Ellis ? Canterbury Wizards
Martin Guptill ? Auckland Aces
Tom Latham ? Cantebury Wizards
Nathan McCullum ? Otago Volts
Kyle Mills ? Auckland Aces
Tarun Nethula ? Central Stags
Rob Nicol ? Canterbury Wizards
Jacob Oram ? Central Stags
Tim Southee ? Northern Knights
Kane Williamson ? Northern Knights

Twenty20 squad:

Brendon McCullum (c) ? Otago Volts
Michael Bates ? Auckland Aces
Doug Bracewell ? Central Stags
Dean Brownlie ? Canterbury Wizards
Colin de Grandhomme ? Auckland Aces
James Franklin ? Wellington Firebirds
Martin Guptill ? Auckland Aces
Ronnie Hira ? Auckland Aces
Nathan McCullum ? Otago Volts
Kyle Mills ? Auckland Aces
Rob Nicol ? Canterbury Wizards
Jacob Oram ? Central Stags
Tim Southee ? Northern Knights
Kane Williamson ? Northern Knights

International Coach
Zimbabwe bowled out twice in a day. They should play India to get a few wins and get their confidence up.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Yeah, damn Zimbabwe.. I know there were a lot of injuries, but still, such a bleak performance. At least NZ backed up their victory over us with a comprehensive mauling though.

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Is this a joke? lol

I haven't heard of a team being bowled out twice in a day before

ferg512

International Coach
I still have my doubts really, I suppose we'll see. Chances are whoever does come in will score a hundred on a flat road in Napier against Zimbabwe and people will say what a great selection it is. Maybe van Wyk is in the squad so he can give us a few pointers before the SA series lol

Ha. Really good win but Zimbabwe were absolutely horrible so lets put it in perspective. Hopefully they can put up more of a fight in the ODIs.

Regarding the ODI and T20 squads, really happy about the selections of Latham, Bates and Hira, not happy with de Grandhomme, Nethula and Ellis. All three of them did nothing in the HRV cup and you may as well have picked Hira in the ODIs instead of Nethula he is a better bowler I reckon as well as batting and fielding.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Regarding the ODI and T20 squads, really happy about the selections of Latham, Bates and Hira, not happy with de Grandhomme, Nethula and Ellis. All three of them did nothing in the HRV cup and you may as well have picked Hira in the ODIs instead of Nethula he is a better bowler I reckon as well as batting and fielding.

Nethula and Ellis are in the ODI squad, so their form in the HRV Cup doesn't really matter that much.

In the 50 over competition this season Nethula has taken 5 wickets @ 18 with an E/R of 4.8, while Hira has taken 4 wickets @ 44 with an E/R of 4.4. Last season in the 50 over competition Nethula took 12 wickets @ 23 with an E/R 4.6, while Hira took 8 wickets @ 55 with an E/R of 5, so Nethula's definitely been the better OD bowler. Ftr Nethula actually had a very good HRV Cup, taking 10 wickets @ 21 with an E/R of 7.1. They were probably going for the same position (the one Woodcock had had), so in the end I'm guessing they decided just to give them both a dig in each format of the game.

In the 50 over competition this season Ellis has scored 106 runs @ 27 with a S/R of 116, and has taken 5 wickets @ 33 with an E/R of 4.6. Last season in the 50 over competition he was outstanding, with 262 runs @ 52 with a S/R of 149 and 13 wickets @ 29 with an E/R 5, so based on that I don't see anything wrong with his selection. Again he actually had a decent HRV Cup, he wasn't outstanding but he definitely didn't do nothing like you said.

In terms of de Grandhomme I don't have a problem with him being there. Imo he's the best finisher of an innings in the country, with his ability to hit the ball from ball one. He's not normally going to give you MOTM performances, but he does offer a lot all-round. This season in the HRV Cup he averaged 22 with a S/R of 161, which are great stats from someone who's always coming in with five or so overs to utilise.

(Sorry for the essay) :p

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Has Oram been picked as a bowler?

Because he sure as hell has done nothing with the bat.

ferg512

International Coach
Nethula and Ellis are in the ODI squad, so their form in the HRV Cup doesn't really matter that much.

In the 50 over competition this season Nethula has taken 5 wickets @ 18 with an E/R of 4.8, while Hira has taken 4 wickets @ 44 with an E/R of 4.4. Last season in the 50 over competition Nethula took 12 wickets @ 23 with an E/R 4.6, while Hira took 8 wickets @ 55 with an E/R of 5, so Nethula's definitely been the better OD bowler. Ftr Nethula actually had a very good HRV Cup, taking 10 wickets @ 21 with an E/R of 7.1. They were probably going for the same position (the one Woodcock had had), so in the end I'm guessing they decided just to give them both a dig in each format of the game.

In the 50 over competition this season Ellis has scored 106 runs @ 27 with a S/R of 116, and has taken 5 wickets @ 33 with an E/R of 4.6. Last season in the 50 over competition he was outstanding, with 262 runs @ 52 with a S/R of 149 and 13 wickets @ 29 with an E/R 5, so based on that I don't see anything wrong with his selection. Again he actually had a decent HRV Cup, he wasn't outstanding but he definitely didn't do nothing like you said.

In terms of de Grandhomme I don't have a problem with him being there. Imo he's the best finisher of an innings in the country, with his ability to hit the ball from ball one. He's not normally going to give you MOTM performances, but he does offer a lot all-round. This season in the HRV Cup he averaged 22 with a S/R of 161, which are great stats from someone who's always coming in with five or so overs to utilise.

(Sorry for the essay) :p

Despite Nethula bowling better in the one dayers, the whole package that Hira offers makes it disappointing he didn't get picked. He can bat at 8 and would be one of the best outfielders in the country.

Those stats surprise me a little bit as most of the time I have seen Ellis he has been pretty awful (although mostly t20) and de Grandhomme is just an idiot, he almost lost Auckland a few games this season with his mindless slogging. I'm probably a bit biased though as I absolutely despise bits and pieces cricketers which is exactly what both of them are. But then again they are the types of players that excel in one day cricket.

----------

Also kind of disappoints me that they picked Bates now, he bowled ok in the HRV took some wickets but did go at 9 an over, when last season he was in the form of his life and they never picked him :facepalm

Also seems a bit strange that Oram is in the t20 side but not the ODIs, T20 is really meaningless and should just be used to get new guys a go, so I really don't understand his selection at all, he really should just retire but he won't.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread