Pakistan in India

Luck just deserted us, Dhoni's injury at the wrong time and Yuvi's shocking decision. But hats off to Pakistan, they outplayed us, and we can only think of what could have been.

Sree proved today why he should get into the team every time, even when the game was gone, his body language was superb. If only Robin clicked for us as well and if he batted lower (not saying he should have, because I said that he should have been higher for this before), we could have seen a great tense finish. The last wicket partnership was still good though, full marks to Pathan.

Pal - funny that, I thought Kumar was excellent, miles better than Khan anyway, at least he didn't leak runs.

Well, we won with 2 new guys and 2 second-XI type players

That doesn't say much with a first XI of Pakistan's quality, does it? :p All in jest.
Pal - funny that, I thought Kumar was excellent, miles better than Khan anyway, at least he didn't leak runs.

Well, Khan did have a pretty horrible start to the series, but I thought his performance in the 4th ODI was pretty key to us winning the series.

Well that first, second, third or what you might call it just beat you today :p
And it is no excuse that you played with some new faces, so did we ;)

I can't believe Safraz Ahmed is playing in your one day team - he has only scored 68 list A runs in his career :o

Everyone forgets that it's more important to have a great keeper in the side, one that will take catches.

I think the four early wickets and wickets falling at the wrong times were the two main reasons why Pakistan sealed a victory today. Anyway, well played. The series was largely a one-sided contest and it was the first Ind-Pak series that I didn't particularly enjoy, even though India was winning comfortably.

Yuvraj deserved the man of the series, no doubt. 3 wickets + electric fielding causing run outs + making four 50+ scores in 5 matches is impressive.

Also, Tendulkar was impressive, with a strike rate over a 100 for the series and over 42 fours, people wont be criticizing him for playing too slow anymore. Unlucky --perhaps bc of nerves--- to miss out on two hundreds (which he'll start to get criticism for now b/c people have nothing better to do), but i thought he batted brilliantly and was pretty consistent (usually made it to the thirties at least).

Out of Pakistan, I thought Mohd. Yousuf was simply amazing, along with Salman Butt. Younis Khan was also impressive, although he appeared to play too slow at times.

Captaincy was a huge difference between the two sides. Dhoni was spirited, aggressive, and intelligent while Malik was too conservative in his approach. Dhoni was also great in his glovework and batting, whereas Akmal wasn't confident in both aspects.

No bowler from either side had a phenomenal series. However, Tanvir and Akhtar impressed, although Akhtar as lost his pace as well as his fitness. Sreesanth showed in the last match why he should be chosen, as he picked up wickets and had less antics up his sleeve. Zaheer and RP Singh had a forgetful series, showing their class only in patches.

Sehwag failed to impress me again. He doesn't deserve to be on the side, and I have no idea why he was recalled in the first place. He's too inconsistent and should be replaced by Dravid, who showed in the domestic circuit that he can still make runs. It'd also be nice to see Piyush Chawla in the next ODI series. Praveen Kumar also deserves a second chance, as he got a fair bit of movement, looked dangerous, and had dodgy lbw decisions against him.

As far as Pakistan goes, they should think about replacing Akmal with Sarfaz Ahmed. It might be too early, but Akmal is one of the worst keepers and batsmen I've seen in a long time. Akthar also needs to shape up. He still bowls mid 130's to 140's and is dangerous but his fitness needs to improve. Also, before this series, I had heard a lot about Iftikhar Anjum, however he seemed like the worst bowler of the series. With Shoaib, Tanvir, and Gul, with Asif recovering slowly, and Sami being called back for the Tests after having a successful domestic season (who knows, maybe he'll work his way to ODIs too), I see it very hard for Ifthikar in the future to retain his position.

Hopefully the test series will be less one-sided.

Last edited:
Well played India, I agree I didn’t enjoy it much for many reasons and Pakistan loosing series comes last.

To be honest, you only outplayed us in one match (today) so the score may well have been 4-1 metaphorically. As it happens, we lost twice, end of story.

To be honest, you only outplayed us in one match (today) so the score may well have been 4-1 metaphorically. As it happens, we lost twice, end of story.

I think we outplayed you in the second ODI, our batting was better since we chased it down and therefore won.

You won, but that match wasn't really outplaying anyone, both the sides' bowling was crap it was just a matter of who got the most runs, incidentally, it was you.

India were outplayed in a high class contest today. A lot of young guns on show and India can take many positives.

• Sreesanth regained his rhythm with the ball for the Test series and worked up real pace.
  • Rohit Sharma reiterates that he is a good fielder and middle order batsman
  • Irfan Pathan reassured us of his batting ability. On a day where he was not good with the ball, he can still score 43 off 39.
  • Praveen Kumar showed that although the effect of his late swing may be compromised, he can still trouble international batsman despite his lack of pace.
  • Management will finally realise that Uthappa should NOT go three and Sehwag should open or go three
  • Hopefully, the selectors know that Gambhir is not good enough for ODI cricket. Average of 30.67 with SR = 75.14 is not good enough after 37 matches.

Many positives for India in the race to fine tune their squad before the 2011 World Cup. Pakistan should be encouraged too that they defeated a very strong team but must realise that they will be facing a Test team who have been resting from ODIs and/or fine tuning their skills in the Ranji Trophy.

You won, but that match wasn't really outplaying anyone, both the sides' bowling was crap it was just a matter of who got the most runs, incidentally, it was you.

Don't fool yourself, India put out a strong (albeit young and not first string) side and Pakistan were the better team.

Last edited:
Waaaah?

I was talking about the second match, which Pak_Cricketer was talking about. :(

But I agree with you, Uthappa should be our finisher with Pathan, imagine if he came in at the end, we would have had a great finish on our hands, similar to the England game.

I think Manoj tiwary needs to be given a go, as well as Badri, not Sehwag or Gambhir (unless it's T20).

Last edited:

Very true.

Some positives for us today in the form of Rohit Sharma and Sreesanth. We need Sreesanth to play almost everytime. Anyways, we should have done better.

Hopefully the tests have some spice in them.

Users who are viewing this thread