Patch General discussion

Bugs can always be introduced whenever there is change, I hope they will be minimal of course.

Bugs can always be introduced whenever there is change, I hope they will be minimal of course.

Yes there will probably be bugs...you try and fix one thing, you break another - happens when you have insufficient time to QA and test everything, but thats when you go back and fix it. Rinse and repeat - eventually you iron out all the big ones and leave the little ones so you can concentrate on the next big thing.

Either way, THANK YOU for producing DB14...FINALLY someone has given cricket the credit it deserves (gaming-wise). Hopefully your success will make the big companies realise there IS a future in cricket games (Mike Fegan, eat your heart out!).

Here's a hint: don't finish a bottle of red to yourself and try and play DB14, esp in career mode....doesn't bode well. (bottle is a nice Shiraz, Wolf Blass I think mmm not bad for $8).

The easiest way to break something is to try and fix it.

I touched on this with a few posts in the career mode thread - so here's a drawn out request for a future patch. Basically, I wish we had a bit more information about the game situation while simulating in career mode.

So I spent an unnecessary amount of time visualising what I'd like to see -

z085Tox.png

From the top down - a current conditions display - with a button to let you view detailed information and a forecast. This would light up and pause the simulation briefly when there is a rain delay - so you don't simulate past one and have no idea it has occurred.

The main scorecard is the same, just compressed vertically a bit to give me more space. I've moved the Extras to being the '11th' bowler to free up a bit more space. Likewise changing the fall of wickets to a single line format.

Then on the left side - ball by ball updates - these would probably be too fast to see in normal simulation, but that's the same with most of the info shown. Being able to pause the simulation and scroll up and down through the overs, or have a slower simulation option would improve that for those who'd want it.

Perhaps a small manhattan graph in limited overs matches to make it easier to quickly visualise.

On the right side - the career player's current info - you could watch the bars slowly reduce so you have an idea how far it might be until you're put back on to bowl, or for batsmen, know how aggressive you might be able to be based on your confidence.

Below that - the absolute key information I'd want -
FC/Test matches - the lead for the current team, overs remaining in the day and the current score
OD/T20 matches (when chasing) - the required run rate, amount of runs required per ball remaining and the current score

Combined with this, I would suggest that the scorecard should be paused on if you have been simulating for more than an over before you're put out to bat or start a new bowling spell. That way, you have a moment to consider the match position before playing and press a button when you're ready - which would be good for if you stop paying attention while the game is simulating.

When are we expecting patch 2 to be out ? any estimations given ??

MattW how about more details about the batsman/bowler.

Batsman 50 runs of 67 balls then 4s and 6s shown and a graph with 1s/2s 3s 4s 6s on the same graph as Big lines i think that's right.

Also maidens and what the extras are, sure most are no balls and wides as bye/leg byes are very rare like all the other cricket games.

PS Still top job MattW.:thumbs

My modding area would be anything from graphic designing to have a crack at unknown files. As long as it doesn't involve to code a program (well atleast for a year till I learn the language), I would be quite happy play around different files and have a go at it. Therefore I would like to have much control around game files as long as it doesn't break anything.

Last edited:
Game needs major surgery.

So I thought I'd give DBC another chance today having not played it since the first couple of days I got it. I was pleased to see that a patch had been put in place. Cool I thought, Ill continue with career mode.

I'm in the T20 stage of my English summer. Playing as Hampshire. It is worth pointing out that I am a bowler because that's what I do, I bowl. I like to bat but bowling is my preference. I noticed when I started (I don't open the bowling in T20 Michael Carberry does) there where 6 slips, a short leg, mid off and a short fine leg. Haha I thought. What a stupid field setting for T20. It's ok though at least the stupid AI might get some runs before I bowl.

So I come on to bowl the 5th over. Middlesex are 50 odd for none. The field is still the same so I go to change it and low and behold I can't preset the fields. I can scroll through pace, spin, aggressive, yada, yada but no fielding positions are available. I have to manually move everyone into position. For every new batsman. I took me more time to do this than to complete the game.

Middlesex 90 all out btw.

As per my 'this game is rubbish' post, the bowling in career mode is poor. Although I think the controls are great, the AI seriously lets it down. Having a look around on this forum today there seems to me plenty else wrong with the game too. I mean what did the patch fix? First viewings it looks like it's made it worse.

I guess I'm going to have to start career mode again as a batter and to see if the save game pre patch is the cause of the errors.

Still disappointed with this game however.

You obviously haven't read around enough to know you need to re-start career to avoid the 'Michael Carberry bowling' issue.

And the insinuation that the patch made things worse, is childish at best.

If anything, it has just made the desire for other areas to be addressed in patch 2 even stronger, because they already have a lot of the game 'right'

Last edited:
You obviously haven't read around enough to know you need to re-start career to avoid the 'Michael Carberry bowling' issue.

And the insinuation that the patch made things worse, is childish at best.

If anything, it has just made the desire for other areas to be addressed in patch 2 even stronger, because they already have a lot of the game 'right'

My word, do you do anything but attack other posters on here?

If people have genuine concerns they have ever right to voice them snowny. Considering this kind patch would for many development studios be made to be backward compatible (I am in no way saying that Big Ant have done a poor job here, simply pointing out how most would do it) with previous saves, it's not unreasonable, let alone childish, that most people would need to be informed that it wasn't.

Big Ant have done brilliantly so far, but please don't simply attack others for what are fairly normal assumptions in the modern market. Believe it or not there are things that could have been done better, but ultimately that is what patches are for.

Users who are viewing this thread