Proof as to why AFL beats every other sport in the world

But they still pull better crowds than any NRL game on average.

Look at NRL stadiums though, most of them would be like Essendon playing at Windy Hill, Richmond Punt Rd, Nth Melb Arden St, etc...

They are pretty much community grounds, but I've seen some terrible crowds at Sydney Football Stadium and Telstra Stadium the 'premier' venues of RL.

Your an idiot. KP watched the Grand Final which was an average game at best and said it was brilliant. Another post by you purely making up ****.

Soccer has only been successful lately due to the World Cup in 2006 and the fact they have made it a summer sport which is a good move. But it will never overtake AFL as it doesn't have a religeous following like the AFL does.

Even Australias games lately have been dead boring. I've looked forward to them, sat down and started to watch them, but then most games i've switched off, or channel flicked.

Made it up eh?
I watched the AFL Grand Final last year, and I have to say, I did really enjoy it, but watched some AFL this morning and it was pretty awful tbh. Might have just been a bad game, but the Ref was annoying as flip. Just constantly kept blowing his whistle for no apparent reason, everytime someone passed or kicked the ball he'd blow his annoying sounding whistle. The action may have been decent, and the atmosphere did sound good, but the damn referee just completely ruined the game for me. Not all AFL Refs are like that are they?
http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/1373812-post117.html

Also with the boring comment, if you were a manager or a coach would you rather play joga bonito and lose or play defensive and win? of course with a good enough team it's possible to do both but rare do you see it. Just look at Italy. They didn't win by playing like Brazil did they?

I'd agree with Matt, about 70 % would follow AFL.

Toby you're living in a fantasy if you think 85-90% of Australian's follow AFL, you are really kidding yourself.

stevo1 added 1 Minutes and 9 Seconds later...

Ah yes they have, did you see any games there last year??

How do you know Queenslanders love AFL? I have a mate who came to my school this year from Queensland and he said most of the people at his school hated it and Rugby was No.1. That's why I think West Sydney will be a failure, when the Swans aren't going well and successful I think they'll struggle to pull good crowds, especially when the Swans are playing at a big venue in Telstra Stadium

Thats weird, coz when i went to the gold coast, i would see people wearing support in the streets. I went their 2 months ago, and i saw a group of AFL fans parrading around a hotel...

Thats weird, coz when i went to the gold coast, i would see people wearing support in the streets. I went their 2 months ago, and i saw a group of AFL fans parrading around a hotel...

AFL fans...from interstate?

Also tell me in % how man QLD'ers would like AFL, I'm interested in your thoughts.

There is no real way to judge what the best sport in the world is, you morons. This thread claims to be "proof" as to why AFL is the best sport in the world, but all it has succeeded in doing is getting together a bunch of very obviously bias Australian's blowing smoke up AFL's behind.

As the non-Australian's have been saying the only possible way to judge what the best sport in the world is would be to base it on popularity (which soccer, obviously wins). However, even then, it wouldn't be accurate. For example, Thriller by Michael Jackson is the most sold Album of all time, but does that mean every human on Earth should think it is the best album ever made? No. Hell, even the Backstreet Boys sold 40 million.

People have a favourite sport because of their personal tastes and mainly their upbringing. That's it.

Stupid thread.

And by the way, a thing lots of you AFL fans aren't realising is that most of the world is aware of the game. Yes, they don't really know the rules and the ins and outs but they are aware.

I grew up in Africa and I can tell you most people were all quite aware of AFL and in Zimbabwe in school we would play AFL every now and then at lunch times, like you Aussie's might play NFL once every few months for a bit of fun.

You seem to be under the impression that AFL is some kind of hidden gem, I can assure you it's not.

And you would find a hell of a lot wearing Rugby League gear, Toby. And no, Rugby League doesn't get big crowds... why? I don't know. The TV ratings are always sensational. No one likes ANZ, thats why crowds there are always crappy but in grounds like WIN Jubille and Brookvale for example (Grounds with hills and have not huge stadiums) they always sell out. St Gerorge pack out WIN Jubille with 22,000 but at ANZ stadium (just about an hour away) we were getting crowds of about 11k last year. Half the reason of that was because fans couldn't out up with the ridiculous prices and the ground being so hard to get to for travel.

Some teams fail to get out and support there team unless they are winning eg Penrith and Cronulla which is disappointing, and the NRL really need to sit down and think about how they can get bigger and better crowds. The support is there, there are enough fans to regularly get the crowds that Suncorp get for big games (40-50k) at ANZ stadium.

There is no real way to judge what the best sport in the world is, you morons. This thread claims to be "proof" as to why AFL is the best sport in the world, but all it has succeeded in doing is getting together a bunch of very obviously bias Australian's blowing smoke up AFL's behind.

As the non-Australian's have been saying the only possible way to judge what the best sport in the world is would be to base it on popularity (which soccer, obviously wins). However, even then, it wouldn't be accurate. For example, Thriller by Michael Jackson is the most sold Album of all time, but does that mean every human on Earth should think it is the best album ever made? No. Hell, even the Backstreet Boys sold 40 million.

People have a favourite sport because of their personal tastes and mainly their upbringing. That's it.

Stupid thread.

And by the way, a thing lots of you AFL fans aren't realising is that most of the world is aware of the game. Yes, they don't really know the rules and the ins and outs but they are aware.

I grew up in Africa and I can tell you most people were all quite aware of AFL and in Zimbabwe in school we would play AFL every now and then at lunch times, like you Aussie's might play NFL once every few months for a bit of fun.

You seem to be under the impression that AFL is some kind of hidden gem, I can assure you it's not.

We use to play NFL at school all the time at lunch times when it wasn't AFL season. It was just based on fun, and being able to deck the crap outta someone :D

I still do play NFL at lunch due to no football. I really think we need to get thise eskimo's in this thread now.

Soccer's more popular but AFL is ALLOT more exciting to watch and play then what Soccer is. I could care less about how popular the sport is, it's how exciting the game is what matters the most. I can think of several sports off the top of my head that are better then Soccer in this aspect. AFL, Cricket, Basketball, Golf, Tennis, etc. Seriously, I'd rather watch a close game of golf then a close game of soccer.

The only good thing about Soccer is the goals and they only occur 2-3 times over a space of 90 minutes period. Watching a Soccer game is like watching an entire Marathon race and waiting for the exciting bit where someone jumps out of the crowd to tackle one of the leaders of the race when they're on the brink of victory.

Soccer's more popular but AFL is ALLOT more exciting to watch and play then what Soccer is.

Yes, for you. Not everyone has the same opinions on it.

This thread is completely hopeless. It's just back and forth.

"AFL is more exciting"
"No, soccer is."

This isn't proving anything. Just come to terms with the fact that AFL isn't the best sport in the world, nothing is. Everyone thinks differently. AFL is your favourite winter sport. Leave it at that.

Made it up eh?

http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/1373812-post117.html

Also with the boring comment, if you were a manager or a coach would you rather play joga bonito and lose or play defensive and win? of course with a good enough team it's possible to do both but rare do you see it. Just look at Italy. They didn't win by playing like Brazil did they?

Yeh he's talking about the umpires. Nothing about the actual game which he even complimented in that post, geez

Italy dived their way into the World Cup final. Soft as butter

Users who are viewing this thread