Release Date situation insight from reviewer perspective

At least the IVG preview going up tomorrow means (visible) things are staring to happen.

i think everyone understands it's a condensed marketing campaign, i think people are wondering how condensed, maybe concerned that we're running out of time even for a condensed campaign...

until Ross' comment yesterday perhaps we thought more territories = bigger budget = longer campaign, not more territories + same budget = shorter campaign

there's also the vagueness/ambiguity in the announcement, being "towards the end of March 2014 to coincide with the tournament between the major cricket nations that is occurring at that time"... which is obviously a reference to the WT20... which starts on 16 March - 10 days away.

Now the bit between 16-21 march doesn't really include the "major" nations, but the WT20 proper starts 22 March - 16 days away. that's already pretty condensed mate...

that's why people are wondering why they're not hearing anything.

----------

i once had a supervisor try to correct a letter i wrote to a client saying i should write 'yourself' instead of 'you' as it was "more formal"... she did not appreciate my lecture on the correct use of reflexive personal pronouns, but nevertheless the letter remained unedited.

Yeah it's a common mistake, used all the time for example on the radio.

"Come join, Bob, Geoff and myself..."

Interestingly French people learning English don't make me/myself and who/whom errors since the French equivalents are vital and actually used correctly.

Interestingly French people learning English don't make me/myself and who/whom errors since the French equivalents are vital and actually used correctly.

I actually have long thought one of the reasons English (British) people don't tend to speak foreign languages so well is that we're not taught our own language properly.

I vividly remember our Year 8 French teacher going on to past tenses and talking about participles, auxillaries etc. and it was the first time any of us had ever heard of it. Even now my wife (Russian, a linguistics graduate) will ask me a question about English grammar and I might be able to explain the concept and she will go, "oh, you mean..." and use a load of technical words I barely understand and I'll have to go "if you say so". Quite embarrassing, actually.

I actually have long thought one of the reasons English (British) people don't tend to speak foreign languages so well is that we're not taught our own language properly.

I vividly remember our Year 8 French teacher going on to past tenses and talking about participles, auxillaries etc. and it was the first time any of us had ever heard of it. Even now my wife (Russian, a linguistics graduate) will ask me a question about English grammar and I might be able to explain the concept and she will go, "oh, you mean..." and use a load of technical words I barely understand and I'll have to go "if you say so". Quite embarrassing, actually.

Feeling dissapointed that you didnt end with a full conjunctive adverb, I left.

My mum is a book editor so we were never allowed to get away with the slightest grammatical inconsistency in our house. Oh the arguments over less and fewer and whether it's now okay to split infinitives.

My mum is a book editor so we were never allowed to get away with the slightest grammatical inconsistency in our house. Oh the arguments over less and fewer and whether it's now okay to split infinitives.

Oh the memories of the classic 'to boldy go/to go boldly' confusion.

There is literally no rule in English grammar preventing a split infinitive... it comes from a Latin rule some nonce* in the 18th century decided should apply to English too. It's utter rubbish... for example, nobody quibbles that a usage like "the good man" is a split nominative. Yeah - I went there.

*the same sort of people who made us put a b in debt to make it seem as if it came from the latin root debitum, rather than the Anglo-Saxon det.

Users who are viewing this thread