South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

In Twenty20 you do need to be able to hit big. Especially when you're batting in the powerplays overs.

He opened the batting against the Kiwis and hit a fairly quick 30 with pure cricket shots.

Stupid shot by Duminy, but great innings. He raced to 78!

Dumniy goes...8 down now,now its difficult for SA to come back in to game,Req RR around 14..But Duminy really played a good knock

2 wickets in same over...SA have collapsed now,they require another 57 runs with 3 wickets and 24 balls remaining...3 wickets for D hussey..

He opened the batting against the Kiwis and hit a fairly quick 30 with pure cricket shots.
Yeah but in context that was a poor innings compared to other Twenty20 openers. If you rely on pure cricketing strokes and come up against a good fielding unit then you are screwed and wasting the powerplay overs. Better off selecting someone that can club the ball a fair way. Clarke can be 12th man just as a pure fieldsmen though.

Haha i agree with both of u guys arguing over Clarke yep he is a little slow an 20/20 is more for the big hitters BUT if the big hitters fail guys like Clarke are needed in the middle order coz they can get a run a ball an rescue the innings.

Hussey i think scores quicker than clarke an can hit further but in 20/20 there isnt room for both Clarke an MHussey i only want 1 in the team each match.

Bring in the big hitters i dont care if we lose 20/20 is just fun we want to see lots of big hitting if they fail ohwell

Aussie bowling was top notch. Lots of yorkers perfectly bowled, good bouncers, slower balls. Was a great display. SA had no chance, bowling was good good. Duminy played really well but not well enough to top Warner.

Well done Australia and Warner.

Also, Botha seemed like a real miserable fearsome tweak on the field, but seemed a little bit more cheerful in the post-match interview. Then again, what was there to be cheerful about while fielding?

Gibbs? About as much chance of Kevin Pietersen leaving England and playing Test Cricket for Australia. He's only just got out of rehab, and would probably be near the bottom of the list when it comes to possible captains. I agree with you though, can't see why Botha got it, I'd have gone Kallis or Boucher personally.

Boucher should have got it. He always seems to be thinking like a captain and all the fielders will always know where he is to look out for his signals too.

Great win.

Hope warner backs it up with another stunning performance, and eventually makes the OD side

Clarke is no way to slow for Twenty20. He constantly has a strike rate around 100 in One Dayers.

Why should Marsh Open with Warner? The only good thing he has done in the past year is IPL. Jaques should open for us in Tests and One Dayers. Clarke and Warner in Twenty20's.

lol i can tell your biased to NSW like Im biased to WA. You say why should marsh open the only good thing he's done is IPL, well although i agree Warner should play, the only good thing he's done is 3 good innings, so really if Warner plays Marsh has to. But we had this arguement about Haddin V Ronchi too. lol. I'll just agree to disagree. mate.

Here are Clarke's T20 stats, sure he has a decent strike rate but the thing i dont like about Clarke is his 4's and 6's collumn, only 6 of each, he is incredibly boring to watch.
.......Mat Inns NO Runs HS ....Ave ..BF .....SR 100 50 4s 6s Ct St
T20Is 14 10 ....3 147 ...37* 21.00 116 126.72 .0 ...0 .6 .6 ..6 ..0

Compare that to Matthew Hayden's 37 fours and 13 sixes at SR of 143.92

Clarkes Domestic T20 stats are similar SR with 22 fours and 8 sixes, but in the same number of matches Marsh has SR of 133 but with 104 Fours and 42 sixes.

But he is a good test player and innings rebuilder, we would have been smashed in the Tests and last years CB series if Clarke wasnt there, but i just dont really like his style.

Clarke has a strike rate of 137 though. So he is not too slow at all. He rotates the strike, and it annoys me to see how arrogant people can be and not notice the important of someone who can rotate the strike with singles and hit 4's through timing and good cricket shots.

Oh btw, when it's a discussion with Clarke, it's not New South Wales biased, it's Clarke biased ;)

Now Ronchi vs Haddin is a gimme. I'm not biased to Haddin, because he's the obviously choice averaging about 40 domestically, but your biased to Ronchi as with an average of around 26 it would be a joke if he got a spot over Haddin. I don't see why it matters if he can hit big if he can't stay in long enough to show it. Especially now with our top orde rin all sorts, we need an extra batter not a slogger to get us from 5/180 to 6/200 in 3 overs, I would rather someone who could get us to 6/280+ (Just a random example.)

Warner should be playing until he starts failing, which will come. He's shown he can hammer would class attacks so there's no reason to drop him now. I see no reason for Marsh to play after the mediocre season he is having. Jaques should walk straight back into the test team and I see no reason why he shouldn't play One Dayers. It's like Langer really, Langer was good enough for one dayers.

Until Warner fails at international level for a period of time which, like I said, will happen he can go and gain more experience at NSW and if Marsh is in form then I will be more then happy for him to open with Jaques.

Users who are viewing this thread