South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

Catches getting dropped, missing run outs. What more left to see :rolleyes:

South Africa well on top, with an excellent partnership and far too many wickets in hand. Bracken looks to have been rushed back in after injury, while Johnson doesn't look terribly useful.

A few observations...

David Hussey is a useless bowler, they are wasting their time using his offspin, he will always struggle to take wickets, and he gives up 5 an over way too easily, teams are content just to pick him off for 5 or 6 an over without any fear of losing a wicket. Don't be fooled by the fact he takes wickets in 20/20 cricket, spinners take wickets by default in that form of the game just by bowling the ball, spinners need zero ability to take wickets in 20/20.

I was wrong about Hilfenhaus, he actually has a good bowling action, bowls with good pace and bounce, and has a nice outswinger, I think he will do well in England if he gets the chance because the ball swings more there and for more overs.

I think Australia should use Bracken for more overs with the new ball, a spell of 5 or 6 overs at the start for 10 to 15 runs is more valuable to a team than a few overs in the middle of an innings for 4 an over. Someone else can bowl those overs in the middle for 5 an over instead, and Bracken can be used at the beginning to go for 3 an over instead of the other seamers going for 5 or 6. If my masterplan and mathematics are correct it means the team comes out about 15 runs better off doing that, and will probably pick up more wickets. They can still use Bracken for when the opposition take the powerplay or at the death. I just think it is a waste to use him when teams are content to pick off his cutters for 4 or 5 an over. Look at his stats for the series, he has gone for 4 an over and hardly taken any wickets, the way they are using him now is not working.

Hussey isn't there to take wickets, like Symonds and Clarke he is there to keep the runs down and see out the 5th bowlers 10 overs. Hence we usually go with an all rounder to bowl the 5th bowlers overs with help from part timers should they need it. Then there usually is 4 bowlers but due to injuries we've been forced to put Hopes into the 4th bowling spot so now we have 20 overs where we aren't expecting wickets. Although Hopes does have 2 wickets.

Despite him taking 2 wickets, none of the other bowlers besides Bracken has ever really looked threatening.

TBH Bracken isn't the most threatening either, hes just really good at keeping it tight. Certainly not what I call a strike bowler but certainly one you would trust to win you a match at the death.

If we cant win this match then i have really nothing to say :o

Yeah I do agree. Like I said earlier, he's someone you can rely on defensively.

Big strike for AUS right at the pinnacle of the innings. Hopefully Australia can get away with 250 or so.

Hopes growing for Australia. South Africa are back to zero at a time when they don't want to rebuild.

Nice bowling by Hopes, he still would be good as the 5th bowling option and us getting a spinner that can take wickets.
Hilfy will be bowling at the death it seems, I will say he has potential to bowl there but really good faith by Punter to keep trying him there after what happened in the other 2 ODIs where he was doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread