South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

Boxing Day will be awesome this year, looking forward to it. Lots of expats over here so should be a great and passionate contest and crowd.

Boxing Day will be awesome this year, looking forward to it. Lots of expats over here so should be a great and passionate contest and crowd.

Boxing Day has traditionally been awesome,its fantastic to watch the Test there everytime.

Boxing Day has traditionally been awesome,its fantastic to watch the Test there everytime.

Yeah I remember staying up on Christmas day to watch last years Boxing Day Test Match...T'was great.

I reckon this series will be far more closer than the previous series in SA, although the conditions are fairly similair (hard bouncy wickets), Aus have lost vital players (McGrath, Warne, Gilly) whereas SA have probably gained a talent or two in Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel...

If you think watching Boxing Day is great, it's nothing compared to being there! I really enjoyed India v Australia last year, day 2 was one of my favourite days of cricket attended and I'm looking forward to this one, will be the second test I've seen against South Africa.

Boxing Day happens to be a very special day for me,as it happens to be my birthday.
Anyways,just for curiousity- Why do they call it 'Boxing Day' ?

I think its because you're meant to open your presents on Boxing Day, Altough most people just open 'em on Christmas Day...Man, Laziness is reaching a new height here on PC, You could've just Googled it...:p

Nah boxing day was all about giving gifts to the less fortunate people. In Australia its 26th of december. I could've sworn the UK celebrate it on another day (like the first saturday or sunday after christmas). Meh i could be wrong.

It's an excuse to have big shopping sprees. Good Friday is the only holiday that actually retains its dignity these days, I'm not Christian but even I feel bad for those who have to see holidays of real significance to them as cashed up marketing exercises.

But on the bright side, Boxing Day provides us with the best cricket day in the world!

Well the one to watch out for is Morne Morkel. Tall, fast, generates a lot of bounce, young (23)... he's the South African version of Ishant Sharma. It would be interesting to see how he performs on bouncy, pacy wickets. I look forward to this series.

I think Morkel and Steyn will be really dangerous. Steyn gets the movement that Clark can get so I can see him dominating on our pitches. Like you said Morkel will be dangerous too. Our batters will need to be upto the challenge because I can see them putting up a fight.

I might trek down to Melbourne (lol not too far down living in sydney). I've heard Boxing day tests are the best to come to. GO AUSTRALIA

Steyn and Morkel will run riot. The India-Australia series proved that you need more than a good batting line-up to win a Test series, you need to be able to take 20 wickets as well. I don't honestly believe that Australia's bowling attack is good enough anymore, not to take on a class side like South Africa anyway. South Africa have a batting line-up almost as good as Australia's, with class players like Smith, De Villiers, Amla and Kallis. The bowling attack is the key though, Steyn, Morkel, Ntini, Kallis, and a few more are far more effective than the likes of Watson, Krejza or Johnson.

I doubt that Krejza will even be in the Australian attack outside the Sub-Continent. He may have had 1 good Test, but he's no Shane Warne. He will not be effective on a flat wicket. He's played a fair amount of FC matches, but still has an average above 50. He's just a normal finger spinner, he's nothing majorly special. He's certainly not going to be the next Shane Warne, Daniel Vettori, Anil Kumble, Muttiah Muralitharan or even Ajantha Mendis. I'm sure he'll be good in the Subcontinent, and get wickets, but he's not going to be a mainstay in the side. I doubt he'll be around come England 2009, he might be in the squad, but he won't be in the XI. He certainly won't play many games in Australia or South Africa.

Steyn and Morkel will run riot. The India-Australia series proved that you need more than a good batting line-up to win a Test series, you need to be able to take 20 wickets as well. I don't honestly believe that Australia's bowling attack is good enough anymore, not to take on a class side like South Africa anyway. South Africa have a batting line-up almost as good as Australia's, with class players like Smith, De Villiers, Amla and Kallis. The bowling attack is the key though, Steyn, Morkel, Ntini, Kallis, and a few more are far more effective than the likes of Watson, Krejza or Johnson.

I doubt that Krejza will even be in the Australian attack outside the Sub-Continent. He may have had 1 good Test, but he's no Shane Warne. He will not be effective on a flat wicket. He's played a fair amount of FC matches, but still has an average above 50. He's just a normal finger spinner, he's nothing majorly special. He's certainly not going to be the next Shane Warne, Daniel Vettori, Anil Kumble, Muttiah Muralitharan or even Ajantha Mendis. I'm sure he'll be good in the Subcontinent, and get wickets, but he's not going to be a mainstay in the side. I doubt he'll be around come England 2009, he might be in the squad, but he won't be in the XI. He certainly won't play many games in Australia or South Africa.

If not Krejza, what are we going to do play 4 quicks plus Watson?? Imagine the over rate then... Ponting would get a life suspension.:D

Users who are viewing this thread