South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

i wonder who sth africa will pick to play instead of P.Harris, he's nor world beater but a decent enough spinner
plus i would like to see either D.Hussey or North come in to replace symonds

South Africa could come undone without a spinner though Steyn and Morkel are doing great. If one of the games was at Brisbane, I wouldn't of been suprised to see them win the series. Though Melbourne has been a flat track lately from memory and Sydney always takes turn. Should be a good series.

i wonder who sth africa will pick to play instead of P.Harris, he's nor world beater but a decent enough spinner

Harris is included in the Test squad but Im not sure if he is going to play.
They did call up Robin Peterson to cover for Harris.

Ricky Ponting will have his right wrist reassessed in Melbourne this week after it caused him some discomfort during the Test series against New Zealand. Ponting is not expected to be in doubt for the upcoming matches against South Africa, although a leading sports doctor said the injury could eventually shorten Ponting's career.Dr Peter Larkins said in an ideal world Ponting would have taken eight to ten weeks off to recover fully but it was likely he would be able to play on with cortisone injections.

Ponting's wrist poses career threat

Aus needs him,lets hope he recovers soon

Last edited by a moderator:
They won't drop Roy. Playing Watson (#6) and Krejza would be the best option IMO but it wont happen so not much point talking about it. I have a strong feeling that the selectors would play both Symonds and Watson. Its just a battle between Watson/Krejza/Siddle for the 4th bowling spot.

As I said before no way Watson should be considered the 4th best bowler in the country. Tons of quicks that are better than him. But I agree the selectors would more than likely be leaning that way but no way I agree with it.

So you are not supportive of Watson playing as the only all-rounder?

I agree with the idea that Australia pick the best 6 batters, 4 best bowlers and the best keeper. I never liked the idea of a bits and pieces player in test match cricket nor a guy who bowls but can bat a bit (or vice versa). A genuine all-rounder like Kallis and Flintoff are one in a million. Lets not forget that these two lead the way in batting and bowling in their team respectively. Certainly Watson and Symonds are not that type of player.

Watson and Symonds are both neither in our top 6 bats or top 4 bowlers, and that's the point. If one was a great batsman or bowler and a decent bowler, it would be fine, but right now both are just decent at both but not good enough to warrant a spot.

Well if we want to know if Watson can bat at this level then using him in the SA test series would be the way to find out. His FC average of 50 certainly suggest he can bat.

Thats an excellent average but where does he bat in the team. At 1-5 i'd consider him as a batsman. If not then get someone who does average that in the domestic league at 1-5.

He should be at 4 but that is taken by Hussey and 5 is Clarke so the only spot is 6. Symonds got quite a few test to finally cement his spot so if they give the same to Watson he too could cement his spot.

Harris will be fit. He will play in melbourne and sydney for sure. In perth SA might go all out pace and pick Zondeki like we did for the last test vs bangladesh.

The stats since 2000 doesn't say much in this case because the SA side was much weaker and aus side was a stronger team than is the case this time round.

Personally I can't wait its going to be an interesting series. I hope both sides stay injury free for this series and the return one in SA.

Ricky Ponting thinks Australia deserve to hold on to the No. 1 ranking even if they are defeated by South Africa in the three-Test series over the next month. Australia have held the top spot under Mark Taylor, Steve Waugh and Ponting and the current captain said the outfit's dominance over a long period meant it should not be deposed.

Ponting says Australia will still be No. 1 next year

Yes agreed, they are No1,and for over the years they have been doing very well,(they had only problems against India)they lost match at home in Aus after 5 years (India beat Aus in 2002-2003,then in 2007),so they are really good side,even after McGrath and Warne's retirement,they are still doing well,though the bowling is not that strong as it was earlier ,when Warne and McGrath were playing,but SA is not bad side at all,they are also a very good side,and they will hopefully give tough competetion.

Ricky Ponting thinks Australia deserve to hold on to the No. 1 ranking even if they are defeated by South Africa in the three-Test series over the next month. Australia have held the top spot under Mark Taylor, Steve Waugh and Ponting and the current captain said the outfit's dominance over a long period meant it should not be deposed.

Ponting says Australia will still be No. 1 next year

Yes agreed, they are No1,and for over the years they have been doing very well,(they had only problems against India)they lost match at home in Aus after 5 years (India beat Aus in 2002-2003,then in 2007),so they are really good side,even after McGrath and Warne's retirement,they are still doing well,though the bowling is not that strong as it was earlier ,when Warne and McGrath were playing,but SA is not bad side at all,they are also a very good side,and they will hopefully give tough competetion.

Does that mean Aus is taking SA a bit lightly,if they really are taking lightly then its not a good sign,because SA is a good team.

I don't know, saying even if they lose seems to think Ponting sees it as a distinct possibility. That suggests to me that he isn't taking them lightly at all.

Users who are viewing this thread