South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

It will be a good contest,both are good teams,but Aus is on top also they are playing at home,and its very difficlut to beat them at home.

South Africa have arrived in Perth high on confidence, with Graeme Smith saying this tour was the side's best shot at a series title in Australia since their readmission in 1991. South Africa are yet to win a Test series in Australia, but Smith, the first South African to lead his country on two tours of Australia, was hopeful of a turnaround.

Our best chance to win in Australia - Smith

Good to see that they (SA) have confidence in them,also Aus now is comparatively a weaker bowling attack now they dont have McGrath,Warne,but batting wise i feel their isnt much change,overall still its very difficult to beat Aus in Aus

Brett Lee, the Australian fast bowler, has dismissed talk of retirement by saying he has four to five years of cricket left in him. "I'm confident in my own mind," he told the Herald Sun. "If I keep doing the right things, if I look after my body, there's at least another four or five years left in me.

I am not quiting now- Lee

Australian pace spearhead Brett Lee has scotched all theories about his immediate retirement plans and said he still possess the firepower to prolong his career for at least four to five years.Lee, 32, bounced back in style from a mediocre India tour, ripping apart New Zealand batting line-up last week with best figures of 9/171 in his 74-match Test career.

Lee still can play for 2-3 years,he just failed in 1 series (failed very badly though against India),but he is a quality bowler,and also he is their main bowler,he tooks wickets against NZ,and he will definately come back hard...

Good luck to Brett Lee, but I remain convinced that he is on a slippery downhill slope.

I can't see Lee making it to 2013 as all pacemen lose their pace and for Lee the pace is his main weapon. Unless he can get the ball to swing more he won't last that long.

Agree with you Syl. I don't think he can keep up his fitness to the age of 37. Though McGrath did it but he had more attributes than out and out pace.

Selectors back with their Watson love affair. Still don't know how hes our 4th pace bowler.
Our 12 man squad for Perth

Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke, Stuart Clark, Brad Haddin, Matthew Hayden, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Simon Katich, Jason Krejza (subject to fitness), Brett Lee, Andrew Symonds, Shane Watson

Listening to Inside Cricket last night told me that the panelists (Kaspa, Blewett and Brendon Julian) thought it would be pointless in having an all-rounder as your twelfth man. IMO Watson is more of an all-rounder than Symonds, so I don't know what that tells you. If I could only play one it be Watson as his seamers would suit the WACA better than Symonds' medium pacers. I also think Krezja will play.

They have included Jason Krejza in 12 member squad,i dont think he will be picked in final 11 for 1st test,Perth is fastest pitch (though many people say the pitch is not as fast as it was earlier),Jason Krejza is a bowler who gives more air,Aus will possibly go for seamer,and not for spinner...

Hes all but certain to be picked according to news reports. The only thing that will stop him is his injury.

I reckon if Lee has any hope of playing till he's 37, he'll have to learn a few other things then out and out pace. Sure, he's gotten better as he's progressed, but is it enough to keep him in the team?

Lee is not going to last until he's 37, he's not a real superstar/legend like McGrath was, and his pace takes a greater toll on his body than most.

Selecting both Symonds and Watson is yet another ridiculous decision. If they want another pace bowler, why drop Siddle, and if they are desperate for an all-rounder then they have to choose one. If Krejza doesn't play, are we really going to go with two average ARs again?

aus5892 added 0 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

Lee is not going to last until he's 37, he's not a real superstar/legend like McGrath was, and his pace takes a greater toll on his body than most.

Selecting both Symonds and Watson is yet another ridiculous decision. If they want another pace bowler, why drop Siddle, and if they are desperate for an all-rounder then they have to choose one. If Krejza doesn't play, are we really going to go with two average ARs again?

There are reoprts that Dale Steyn will not play in the One Day match against Western Australia due to hamstring complaints.

Does anyone think he would not play in the first Test?

On Fox Sports news Graeme Smith was fairly confident he would play in the First test saying he will be rested from this one day match but will probably play the next match after it.

Users who are viewing this thread