South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

A hamstring complaint has forced the fast bowler Dale Steyn out of South Africa's opening tour match against Western Australia in Perth on Thursday. Steyn's injury is not serious, but the tourists do not want to risk further damage in the one-day fixture because he will be a crucial weapon during the three-Test series, which begins at the WACA on December 17.

Steyn rests injured hamstring

Big blow to SA,as Steyn is not playing the 1st test at Perth,he is their main strike bowler,any fast bowler would never like to miss a test at Perth,SA would definately miss him,Steyn is the leading bowler of 2008 with 60 wickets at 19.41,that gives more advantange to Aus,lets hope he plays the boxing day test match.

SA will definately miss him,no doubt,he is quick,he can bowl quick bouncers,he is an attacking bowler,that definately gives an Advt to Aus...

SA will definately miss him,no doubt,he is quick,he can bowl quick bouncers,he is an attacking bowler,that definately gives an Advt to Aus...

That is just the tour match. He isn't confirmed to miss the first Test.

Former South African off-spinner Pat Symcox has criticized the current team's moves to excessively talk about their talent and skills ahead of their cricket series against Australia as pathetic."To believe that South Africa are now well prepared to take on the Aussies after a convincing win at home against Bangladesh is naive in the extreme," the Courier Mail quoted Symcox, as saying.

Symcox questions Proteas Test hopes against Australia - Yahoo! India News

I just feel both teams should concentrate on Cricket rather commenting on other team or strength of their own team

The opening tour match will be another good chance for Pomersbach to score runs against International opposition. I hope WA are playing Heal as well but I suspect not.

I want to see this Lonwabo Tsotsobe guy bowling. He has a good domestic record and could be a good player for the future.

Herschelle Gibbs' month-long alcohol rehabilitation programme could see him miss South Africa's limited-overs leg of their Australia tour, with Mike Procter, the new convenor of selectors, saying it would be "very difficult" to pick the top-order batsman.Gibbs checked into a rehab centre in Cape Town earlier this week, and is expected to complete the programme by January 8, three days before South Africa's first Twenty20 international against Australia in Melbourne.

Source

He is an imp player for SA,he can change the match at any moment,we all remember his inngs when SA were chasing a big total of 424 (i guess,sorry if its wrong,but it was around that score)and Gibbs played a fantastic knock,we cant forget that,lets hope we see him as early as possible...

Gibbs' inconsistency over the last couple of years has been a real worry for South Africa, and frankly I wouldn't blame them if they wanted to shut the door on him now. He's certainly talented enough, but they'd be better off investing in the future, particularly with someone like JP Duminy who is obviously a great prospect.

Duminy's just waiting patiently on the sidelines. It's sad to see a player of his calibre still being a backup. It won't be too long before he replaces one of McKenzie or Prince though. An ordinary series against Aus for either of them could give Duminy his opportunity.

Herschelle Gibbs' month-long alcohol rehabilitation programme could see him miss South Africa's limited-overs leg of their Australia tour, with Mike Procter, the new convenor of selectors, saying it would be "very difficult" to pick the top-order batsman.Gibbs checked into a rehab centre in Cape Town earlier this week, and is expected to complete the programme by January 8, three days before South Africa's first Twenty20 international against Australia in Melbourne.

Source

He is an imp player for SA,he can change the match at any moment,we all remember his inngs when SA were chasing a big total of 424 (i guess,sorry if its wrong,but it was around that score)and Gibbs played a fantastic knock,we cant forget that,lets hope we see him as early as possible...

I would rather open with amla and smith in the odi's. Gibbs for all his talent doesn't deliver the amount of runs needed to win wc's.

I am really looking forward to this series. South Africa has their best chances for a long time to knock off Australia on their own turf. I hope my main man for Jacques Kallis fires up despite being out of form.

Adding to injury concerns over Harris, Smith, Steyn and Morkel, Boucher has also hurt his ankle.

Users who are viewing this thread