South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

Damn Lee :( if he could have bowl today, we could have easily clean up the tails. Really, this is all about luck factor and atm we dont even have a bit :mad: I hope after this short break, we will see our old Lee :)

If I read it correctly, if South Africa will win the series with 3-0 they will be the number one in Test matches. But a lot of cricket has to played yet, before that to happen.

This is an interesting fact:

'The heroics from Duminy and Steyn ensured that Australia conceded the first-innings lead in Melbourne for the first time in 12 years. The last team which managed this was West Indies, in 1996, when they bowled Australia out for 219 and then scored 255 in a match they eventually won by six wickets.'

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ausvrsa2008_09/content/current/story/384492.html

Last edited:
Our selectors have lost us this match once again, why select an out of form Hayden and Lee, and an out of form and injured Symonds? We need to stop being so hesitant to make changes, there are plenty of in form bowlers and batsmen in the Sheffield Shield right now, but none of them are even being considered except Hilfenhaus.

Lee's impact off the field was about as high as his impact would have been on it (although their run rate might have been higher if he was bowling). It's time to make some serious changes for the last test because our team, with the exception of a few guys, has been nothing short of pathetic lately. Australia has got the talent to be number 1, without a doubt, but when we keep playing the same 30+ year olds when they're seriously out of form, and ignore the guys who have been toiling away in the domestic scene for ages successfully, without reward, it's no surprise we're losing.

Last edited:
If I read it correctly, if South Africa will win the series with 3-0 they will be the number one in Test matches. But a lot of cricket has to played yet, before that to happen.

This is an interesting fact:

'The heroics from Duminy and Steyn ensured that Australia conceded the first-innings lead in Melbourne for the first time in 12 years. The last team which managed this was West Indies, in 1996, when they bowled Australia out for 219 and then scored 255 in a match they eventually won by six wickets.'

Cricinfo - Australia get a taste of their own medicine
hah, have a look at the team. I think that was actually a breakthrough series.

Taylor
Hayden
Langer
M Waugh
S Waugh
Blewett
Healy
Reiffel
Warne
Gillespie
McGrath

It's funny, because people at the time would have been talking about the West Indies' downward spiral, while these guys were on the up.

angryangy added 11 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

Bollinger isn't really the strike bowler. Hilfy is a must.
Why is Hilfenhaus more a strike bowler than Bollinger?

LOL. When I went to sleep, Duminy was in the 50's and Steyn was on 20. I was thinking at worst Aus would have a lead of 50 odd runs. This, however, is hilarious. Australia are becoming like England. Two matches in a row they have now choked ;)

Bollinger is in better form than Hilfy so could go either way plus it's his home test. But Hilfy was in the squad so guess he'll get the gig. A bolter could be Nannes he killing it in all games.

Steyn > Hayden :D

Duminy is class. Just wish I'd been at home to enjoy South Africa's win in the last test. South Africa are a class side, I'd probably say they're the best in the world atm, followed by Australia then India. Duminy's innings has been magnificent (I'm upto Tea on the highlights on Sky). Steyn's had a heck of alot of luck to make it to 70* as well, but still one heck of an innings from a tail-ender. He did used to open the batting at School, so a decent test innings has been coming.

Damn Lee :( if he could have bowl today, we could have easily clean up the tails. Really, this is all about luck factor and atm we dont even have a bit :mad: I hope after this short break, we will see our old Lee :)

Damn Lee.. Damn Krejsa .. is what you blame the every player who is having their bad day. Just because one bad day or one bad match or one bad series if a player has.. thats it, "Damn that player" is what comes out of the mind immediately!

And Luck factor? Great! If Australia do it, then it's a great effort else 'L-U-C-K' eh? Very nice. This is not Battrick WC, to sell a player immediately if he is not performing and buying a new player. This is a real cricket management. I really can't understand why some people don't have that appreciating tendency if opponent plays well. Its a sport and we have to be sportive.. Haddin giving a shake to Duminy on his departure is a right sportive sign. :)

So then Dan, what makes the Aussies better than us at the moment?

Was reading the headline that Krejza wants to be back for the Sydney test then it suddenly hit me, the selectors might pick 2 spinners rather than go a third paceman. I will seriously die if they do that, I so badly want to see a swing bowler in Australian colours.

Possibly one of the worst days of Cricket i've been to, but here's a few points.

- Duminy will be a star, he has a great temperament (spelling) and is all class. You feel as if you will get him early but once he settles he is very hard to get out.

- Dropped chances obviously hurt, Ponting would take that catch in his sleep and everyone in the crowd was hugely dissapointed when Hussey got no where near it.

- Field placings left a little to be desired, basically inviting Steyn to hit down the ground which he did very well and is why he made 70 odd.

- Obviously with Lee it hurt, even though he hasn't been bowling well this series he may well have taken the last 2 or 3 wickets and the game may have been a different story......

But that's Test Cricket for you :(.

Users who are viewing this thread