South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

Bollinger deserves the wicket more than Siddle. Siddle didn't look threatening to me. He was just bowling straight and fast. Hence the wickets. Knocked the bottom order over, an out of form McKenzie and a rushed Boucher. Mmm. Bollinger really deserved 1 at least.

And I would love to bowl into those cracks just outside the right hander. Would eliminate the need of even swinging.

It's not even that he's South African, although he does love them, he just hates Australia. If you ever watch Channel Nine commentary you'll be amazed at how hard he barracks against Australia. Bill Lawry offsets him, except Bill Lawry can commentate.

Great email to The Age this week on the back page for their random comment of the day "How about a decent Channel Nine poll this week: Do you know anyone who actually likes Tony Greig?"

I had the pleasure of watching channel nine (Sky Sports just blur the logo out of the corner :D and cutaway to the studio at intervals) and I enjoy the commentary alot with Tubbs Slats,Warnie, Mark Nicholas, the great "Sir" Richie Benaud and I love Lawro's enthusiasm for the game I have the Botham/Border ashes clashes DVD and when Malcolm ripped through Australia and when Tufnell caught the ball I thought he was going to have a coronory:D and he gives the oppoisition a fair crack of the whip unlike Greigy

Last edited:
Some reason when we promote a swing bowler they stop swinging it. The commentators said it was something to do with the moisture being around for domestic matches but not for international as they are trying to get the match to the 5th day for gate reciepts. McDonald didn't get swing and hes a known swinger and Steyn didn't get any last in the day. 2nd inns he may come to life as thats where he did his damage against SA.

Bollinger deserves the wicket more than Siddle. Siddle didn't look threatening to me. He was just bowling straight and fast. Hence the wickets. Knocked the bottom order over, an out of form McKenzie and a rushed Boucher. Mmm. Bollinger really deserved 1 at least.

And I would love to bowl into those cracks just outside the right hander. Would eliminate the need of even swinging.

can see your point but I think Peter Siddle is a canny looking player.

The only thing wrong with Siddle is the way he appeals for decisions he looks like he's raving.
Seems to be a pretty good bowler but Bollinger derserved the wickets more than he did.

It's not even that he's South African, although he does love them, he just hates Australia. If you ever watch Channel Nine commentary you'll be amazed at how hard he barracks against Australia. Bill Lawry offsets him, except Bill Lawry can commentate.

Great email to The Age this week on the back page for their random comment of the day "How about a decent Channel Nine poll this week: Do you know anyone who actually likes Tony Greig?"

Well that depends on how you classify south african,Tony was born and went to school in SA.

For most South Africans we find Ian Chappe and Bill Lawry to be extremely biased towards Australia. That's why for the first time we have our own commentary team in Aus because of the amount of complaints super sport received about channel 9's biased commentary on previous tours.

Vettori dropped him on 0 and Marshall dropped him on about 80; I point this out because it's probably safe to say that the hundred ensured his spot. There were also a couple of top edges that somehow avoided the fielders. Good times.

Yep, the Vettori one was a sitter too. Vettori's usually pretty safe under catches. We paid for it big time.

I hope Hayden gets a hundred here again. I like the guy and seeing him play. Even if he retires after this test he deserves top go out on a high.

Well that depends on how you classify south african,Tony was born and went to school in SA.

For most South Africans we find Ian Chappe and Bill Lawry to be extremely biased towards Australia. That's why for the first time we have our own commentary team in Aus because of the amount of complaints super sport received about channel 9's biased commentary on previous tours.

Tony Greig is so not a South African supporter...its actually quite disgusting how he favours Australia over us - when he was asked on air the other day whether he supports the Wallabies in rugby he said "yeah only if they're winning". Whether its sarcastic or not its quite obvious that he is completely against South Africa, his country of birth after all. Richie Benaud is a numb-nuts though....he always pulls out these ridiculously arbitrary stories of some crap noone remembers anymore, because he's the only living person who is still alive from 1900!! And didnt he retire?? Why is he back? Everytime I hear the "it reminds me of what happened during the 3rd test in 1950...yada yada" I want to kill myself....Noone cares Richie!!

About the SA v Aus commentary: The catch 22 is that its seriously annoying listening to the Aussies but even more so listening to the South Africans just because they suck so bad. So in the end I endure the biased Aussies just for the sake of actually hearing some intelligent cricket commentary.

Regarding the game as it stands: Our efforts in the field totally ballsed it up tbh. Wtf was Kallis thinking?? And Amla's drop cost us roughly 70 runs....Australia should have had +-360 which would have made for a good game but we did it to ourselves so can't say too much more about that. Hayden was super lucky though....I guess the umpire knew it might be his last innings and gave him a life. That was freekin plumb!!

Not sure if we can pull a draw out of the hat really..especially with Smith gone and the pitch turning into the Grand Canyon before long.

Last edited:
Hayden looking good against Steyn here, looking as good as he has all series. Morkel will be the key for the Saffas, hes already got Haydos jumping around. As much as I've been winding Ben up about Haydens form I would like to see him make a score. I wanna see it live if he makes a score, so Haydens keeping me up atm!

Edit: Woah, great over for Hayden. 3 wonderful shots, the cover drive and clip off the pads were glorious. Hayden playing well is a sight to behold, hope he keeps going.

King Pietersen added 21 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

Thats a real shame, I was really enjoying seeing him bat. Hopefully it's not his last innings. Time for Punter to get a king pair now ;)

Last edited:
Unless Hayden scores a double-ton in the Sydney Test then I'll be jumping on the 'Hayden needs to be dropped' bandwagon. From Tests atleast anyway, I want to see him finish his career after the ODI series.

Welcome to the club :p
Sad day but just too many failures by Hayden to be carried any further especially given his age and the fact we are carrying Hussey atm.

Yes, his personal scores have been failures but in this test in both innings he's had 50+ opening partnerships which isn't bad.

lol what a way to get off a King Pair. I see Ponting's got some tips from Clarke about how to guide the ball into the gaps off the edge :p

I don't understand why Hayden didn't raise the bat? If he does go to SA it will be extremely selfish of him because Jaques is going to be fit for that tour.

Users who are viewing this thread