South Africa in England

No, I'm not disputing that fact, read my post - I never disputed the fact that he can bowl the odd ball at 90mph and consistently bowls at 90mph in limited overs cricket.

None of the S.A bolwers have bowled constistantly over 90mph but theyr're classed as quick. Only Morkel bolwed that quick if my memory serves me right.

And Test cricket. He doesn't bowl as many 90mph deliveries as Lee or Steyn but nether does Flintoff. Is he slow as well?

Sheesh, this obession with pace again.

Sheesh, the general one? Or sheesh, mine?

Simon Jones is roughly the same pace as Jimmy Anderson and that's quick enough for me. Evidently bowling 90mph isn't quick enough for Manee so Jones is actually a medium pacer. In fact, he's an off spinner.

When did I say that - read the post I was replying to which stated that Jones will have great pace to add variety to the 85mph attack - I am stating that his pace will not add variety to the attack. This isn't to say that he shouldn't be picked for England, because I think that he should, as part of a five man attack, instead of Stuart Broad.

manee added 1 Minutes and 0 Seconds later...

And Test cricket.

He does not often bowl 90mph in Test cricket. In the 2005 Ashes, Flintoff and Harmison hit 90mph far more often than Simon Jones did. But this is all irrelevant; who cares if he can add variety to the 85mph attack - he should be in, regardless.

Last edited:
I'd hope he can add variety, it's just not all that necessary to be bowling at a completely different pace.

I'd hope he can add variety, it's just not all that necessary to be bowling at a completely different pace.

I'm not doubting that, just doubting the specific claim that he adds variety because of his pace.

I love how everyone thinks that they are an expert on Steve Harmison's mental state these days.

It was bleedingly obvious in his interview with Nasser. No point in playing a player who can't play in half your matches.

Though I should say I will be backing Harmison and hope he grabs 10 in the match. But I think it's a waste, we all know what happened to him in Australia and in New Zealand/Sri Lanka last time around. I don't blame him for missing his family. But a Test match is no place for undying loyalty. His form for England hasn't even been that good since the 05 Ashes.

Averages over 45 in his last 12 test matches. Best of 4-48. Over a long period. I just don't think we can 'carry' a bowler. I remember the good times too. But sometimes you have to move on.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/14054.html?class=1;template=results;type=bowling

I wish him all the luck for this test. But I am sceptical.

Last edited:
I think England's attack will struggle to get wickets. Broad isn't penetrative, Harmison bowls too short and slow these days. But of course, we won't really know until they get out there how they'll go.

My money is on SA. At least England could have used Jones or some other bowlers.

Probably a draw. If South Africa win, it will actually be their first at The Oval, though Edgbaston also resulted in their first win there.

England to bowl first. ;)
KP tossing up the coin and I guess a big moment for English Cricket.This can go either way.
I Wish all success to KP.Not a bad conditions to bowl.

Dropped first ball!

Cook, Come on, you have to take those!

Good start from Harminson here...
Indeed, an absolute dolly. Good start for Harmison so far, getting the ball to duck into Smith at good pace.

Damn,If I was Hamison then I would have punched Cook for that.
What a way to start Harmy!!!
I think Cook was not expecting catch there.He would have expected Smith to leave the Ball. ;)

vaibhav mehta added 3 Minutes and 19 Seconds later...

Ouch,Ambrose is spiting out blood and What a start of test Match!

Damn,If I was Hamison then I would have punched Cook for that.
What a way to start Harmy!!!
I think Cook was not expecting catch there.He would have expected Smith to leave the Ball. ;)

vaibhav mehta added 3 Minutes and 19 Seconds later...

Ouch,Ambrose is spiting out blood and What a start of test Match!

South Africa might have won the series 2-0, but this is a interesting test match already! :)

I have a feeling Smith might have been thinking, god I wish I would have bowled now.

Users who are viewing this thread