South Africa in England

I feel Harmy can do well overseas its just that he has to be physically and mentally ready for touring. When he did have it right in the West Indies 2004 he showed what he can do. If he can maintain himself until this years tour I don't see why he can't shine.

Harmison at The Oval I didn't consider to be a big risk and I don't think that was the overwhelming sentiment.
Sorry, I don't understand you.

However, I think the other general concern remains valid. Can you take this man on tour in 4 months? Can England finally make a conqueror out of Harmison?

I really don't think anyone could decipher this aspect of the Freudian nightmare.

manee added 1 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

Well, to be fair that was first ball and Cook was probably expecting him to leave it. Also, there was many stoppages in the first session. Smith got his love spuds smacked, then ambrose wore one on the teeth, then people kept standing around behind the bowlers arm.

The seven over waste I was referring to was Stuart Broad's spell. I don't think you can free Cook of guilt for his drop because it was a regulation catch and you need to be alert from the start. He should have taken the high chance at second slip too.

118/5, poor shot from Prince to throw his wicket away.

I can't understand how Broad got 7 wickets in his last match for Notts and yet looks so very docile when in a test match. I feel he isn't Test quality yet but he'll make it, I assure you :upray

And another one goes!

Come on England!! :)

This is the one time all series we have looked like taking 20 wickets.

I can't understand how Broad got 7 wickets in his last match for Notts and yet looks so very docile when in a test match. I feel he isn't Test quality yet but he'll make it, I assure you :upray

I'm not going to call it a fluke, but Broad's seven wickets don't do enough to discredit his average FC record to say that he does consistently well at FC cricket.

I agree his record in FC isn't good enough I feel that he was picked too early for the Test side. ODI's is a different matter. They've picked him for his potential but he isn't fufilling it currently. Give him a few years playing consistantly for Notts and he'll do well

Jimmy is looking dangerous.

What a peach of a ball. 86 mph full, seaming away, Boucher = No chance!

That Harmison yorker/full ball to Amla, was brilliant. We've done excellently today. Both Harmison and Anderson.

Awesome Stuff from Harmy.
Real English Pace Bowling.Last wicket to go and it will expose the tail.
Go guys,just retrieve our honer. ;)

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't understand you.
There were different arguments about Harmison being selected and I think only a few could have thought that he'd be England's least effective bowler for this one game.

People mainly didn't want Harmison selected because they don't believe he is a useful selection on a larger scale, not so much in home Tests but on tours. The point is that it is too early to say "well you wrote him off and now look how wrong you are" because not everyone, in fact very few were looking at the short term. I pointed out earlier that Harmison was a positive selection for The Oval, because he thrives on it while bowlers usually struggle. However, that doesn't mean he should be in the squad for the next Test series. If he is not worth picking for a tour, then you can understand why people would have preferred to see a bowler who is a contender.

Harmison is well known to have a better record at home than on tour. Whether he succeeds here or not is of little consequence, as it is a dead rubber and the last Test of the summer. If he remains with the Test side, he will go back to county cricket, play out the season and then take a couple of months off. This has typically meant the end of Harmison's form in past seasons. England and Harmison need to overcome this 'homesickness' if he is to be a series winning bowler away from home.

There were different arguments about Harmison being selected and I think only a few could have thought that he'd be England's least effective bowler for this one game.

Not me; that spot is reserved for Stuart Broad - seriously, why is he still in the team? So that he can eventually pick up 3 or 4 wickets in an innings so they can finally justify selecting him?

People mainly didn't want Harmison selected because they don't believe he is a useful selection on a larger scale, not so much in home Tests but on tours. The point is that it is too early to say "well you wrote him off and now look how wrong you are" because not everyone, in fact very few were looking at the short term. I pointed out earlier that Harmison was a positive selection for The Oval, because he thrives on it while bowlers usually struggle. However, that doesn't mean he should be in the squad for the next Test series. If he is not worth picking for a tour, then you can understand why people would have preferred to see a bowler who is a contender.

True.

Harmison is well known to have a better record at home than on tour. Whether he succeeds here or not is of little consequence, as it is a dead rubber and the last Test of the summer. If he remains with the Test side, he will go back to county cricket, play out the season and then take a couple of months off. This has typically meant the end of Harmison's form in past seasons. England and Harmison need to overcome this 'homesickness' if he is to be a series winning bowler away from home.

Yes. On commentary, it was mentioned that Harmison should perhaps be sent to the MRF Pace Foundation in Chennai to train under Dennis Lillee and get accustomed to the climate. However, this will lengthen Harmison's stay in India, something which may adversely affect him mentally - whereas two Tests and one tour game should hopefully be short enough for Harmison.

Oh Monty, Monty. Monty, Monty, Monty, Monty Panesar!!!!!
Great ball, don't care if Hawk Eye says it was going over that looked out

And this is called ''Everything is going to your way''.
Perfect,now Panesar has joined the Party.I expect South Africa to get bowled out under 180-200.

Users who are viewing this thread