South Africa in England

I don't understand why everyone is so worked up over Broad's batting. He's not an allrounder so he doesn't need to worry about his batting. He's doing well so just leave him be. He is a bowler, let him focus on his bowling. Another thing is a lot of people seem to say Broad's bowling isn't that great but he gets wickets and he's consistent. What is the problem?!

I wouldn't have dropped him in the first place. Sadly, I don't think we'll see him again this series.

Bell > Collingwood and with Freddie back the only person Collingwood can replace is the captain Vaughan himself and I dont see that happening in this series atleast.

England lost to a better team yes but England can beat this team. Like I said before 2-1 to England is still on.

I was thinking more along the lines of Collingwood in for Broad so we can go back to 6 batsmen with Fred and Ambrose at 7 and 8 respectively. Jones in for Pattinson as well.

Here is the lineup:
Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
Pietersen
Bell
Ambrose
Flintoff
Broad
Anderson
Monty
Pattinson

Out of that lineup, Collingwood isn't able to replace anyone. Vaughan is needed for his captaincy, Ambrose is the keeper, Cook and Strauss are the openers, you don't drop Bell or Pietersen and I think Flintoff is just better.

I was thinking more along the lines of Collingwood in for Broad so we can go back to 6 batsmen with Fred and Ambrose at 7 and 8 respectively. Jones in for Pattinson as well.

I don't believe that Jones has the stamina to bowl as part of a four man attack.

That is an option but I would stick with Broad at all costs.

m_vaughan added 1 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

I don't believe that Jones has the stamina to bowl as part of a four man attack.

If Jones is 70% near his best than he wont have to bowl too many overs to bowl out the opposition.

Jones in for anyone (except Broad....sorry:D)

I'm not arsed really, I just want a bowler to replace Pattinson. Be it Harmison, Hoggard, Jones, Tremlett or whoever else.

Simon Jones never use to bowl much anyway. He'd always be used in short sharp bursts which often had devastating effect. It was generally Hoggard, Flintoff and Giles who did the bulk of the bowling with Harmison and Jones interchanging at certain intervals.

I think the selectors have been completely unfair. There are plenty of bowlers ready and who deserve to play for England and have impressed for their counties yet some unknown player has been picked. Basically there are about 5 bowlers waiting in line for a chance and Pattinson cuts in, he shouldn't be playing to be honest.

At the standard England are playing, Broad could get away with opening the Batting.

But seriuosly, did we need to play Monty at Headingly? He did get three wickets, but the ball turned so little you could almost mistake Paul Harris for being a good bowler. Pattison was pretty useless, and i honestly think that Colly is a better bowler. Keep Broad, Keep Colly, Ambrose could bat at 11 for all i care.

And may i just say, The biggest respect fot James Anderson - 34 What an Innings, i'm sure you all agree.

He bowled 21 overs out of 73 as part of a 5-man attack vs Glamorgan in his last CC game. Worcs will always play with a 5-man attack though, Batty is captain iirc and bats at 7.

Anyway, that's why you have a spinner in a 4-man attack, so you can rotate your pace bowlers without tiring them out.

Oh please, his bowling isn't that bad. He's one of the most consistent wicket takers in ODI cricket in the world atm.

This thread is about test matches. This discussion is on test line up. So why did you just bring up Broad in ODI cricket.

Are you really that ignorant? You quoted me saying he's a good ODI player.

ODI cricket isn't test cricket. If it was, our NZ test side wouldn't be so poor. Some people are great ODI players but can't do test cricket as well. Broad is one of those at the moment. He needs more time to develop his game for the longer form. England have better "bowlers" they can select. At the moment, he's basically in the team for his batting, because his bowling average raises every game.

But seriuosly, did we need to play Monty at Headingly? He did get three wickets, but the ball turned so little you could almost mistake Paul Harris for being a good bowler.

I think you guys did need to play Monty and I believe he should always be selected. First innings he got 3-68 or something, they were all late tailend wickets, but in the fouth innings, had England scored enough runs, he would have been much more effective. There was some rough. Harris couldn't really hit it. I actually think spinners would have had some turn on that fifth day had the game got there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread