South Africa in England

England V South Africa - 2nd test of the Basil D'Oliveira Trophy - 2008
Headingley, Leeds

South Africa won by 10 wickets in 4 days play

England 1st innings - - All out 203 (52.3 overs)

Pietersen - 45
Bell - 31
Morkel 4-52 (15)
Steyn 4-76 (18.3)

Vaughan last 3 scores 16, 2 and 0
Boucher took 5 catches

South Africa 1st innings - - All out 522 (176.2 overs) Lead by 319

De Villers - 174
Prince - 149
Panesar 3-65 (29.2)
Anderson 3-136 (44)

De Villers 3rd highest score
Princes highest ever score, previous 139* in 2005 V Zimbabwe
Pattison Debuts with 2-95

England 2nd innings - - All out 327 (107 overs) Lead by 8
Broad - 67*
Cook - 60
Morkel 3-61 (22)
Steyn 3-97 (28)

Broad 50 off 41 balls (8 x 4s)
Pietersen 13 off 5 (3 4s)
Broad got his 3rd fifty in his 11 innings
Andersons 34 is his new high score beating 28

South Africa 2nd innings - - 0/9 (1.1 overs) Won the Match by 10 wickets
McKenzie 6*

TMP's player of the match - De Villers - 174

Close was

Prince - 149
Morkel - 7-113
Steyn - 7-173

Series Stats after 2 matches

Most runs ~ Prince 259 @ 129.5
Highest score ~ Bell 199 (336 balls)

Most wickets ~ Morkel 11 wickets for 234 runs at 21.27
BBI - Morkel 4-52 (15 overs)

Most catches (fielder) - De Villers 4
(keeper) - Boucher 10

Highest patnership - 286 by KP and Bell - 4th wicket

South Africa lead the series 1-0 with 2 matches to go

Next test at Edgbaston, Birmingham starting on 30 Wed

England will be looking to even up the series

Bell has a twin brother?

Can Strauss actually keep wicket? That looks a good line up to me if Strauss can actually keep wicket well.

Lol, ooops my mistake.

Right, i say we need some more strike bowlers, and our batting needs a buff too.

This would be my lineup for the next game.

Cook
Strauss
Vaughan
Pietersen
Bell
Prior/Jones
Flintoff
Anderson
Harmison
Jones
Panesar

I'm fed up with Ambrose, his batting just isn't up to it. Whilst Prior is a worse keeper, his batting is excellent, and judging by our past scores (excluding lords) we need more batting options.

This thread is about test matches. This discussion is on test line up. So why did you just bring up Broad in ODI cricket.

Are you really that ignorant? You quoted me saying he's a good ODI player.

ODI cricket isn't test cricket. If it was, our NZ test side wouldn't be so poor. Some people are great ODI players but can't do test cricket as well. Broad is one of those at the moment. He needs more time to develop his game for the longer form. England have better "bowlers" they can select. At the moment, he's basically in the team for his batting, because his bowling average raises every game.

I actually missed that last line, apologies. He's still not bad enough to call him part-time though.

Simon Jones coming back then? Will it be his first test since the Ashes?

Is there anything saying that? Hope there is, but i'm not entirely sure about how he's bowling. Anyone know if he's 90mph or therearound?

Flintoff should be moved to 6, if not Ambrose dropped for Prior, we can't have a punchy batsmen averaging 27 at six. As for Flintoff, he has to find what's better for him, smacking everything in sight (which is a feasible option for him, and it made him great) or being a batsmen (which again he's shown he can do, the tour of India in 2006).

With Sidebottom back I think there may be no need for dropping Broad as he is bolstering the batting, and England have two bowlers guaranteed wickets in Sidey and Flintoff.

I just sent an email to sky sports.com, hopefully they will read it out live on Sky Sports news shortly. :p

It got read out!

Matthew and Jemma from Norwich? :p

Brings back memories of David Gower reading one of mine out during the lunch break of the first test against India last year. It got them discussing it for about 20 minutes as well!

Lol yeah that was me. Telling it how it is. Strange though, i left my name as the_gas from planetcricket.org, but they read out our email address instead. :eek:

I love how at the end of the letter both the presenters said "Ryan Sidebottom!" at the end of it because you'd left him out lol. But I agreed with the letter bang on.

Is there anything saying that? Hope there is, but i'm not entirely sure about how he's bowling. Anyone know if he's 90mph or therearound?

Seen him climb up to 90mph in Pro 40 (or maybe it was FP Trophy, can't remember). I don't think his pace is too relevant though, just watching some Ashes footage from 2005 on Sky Sports Classics and he was 80-88mph in that series and still a handful. The key to see his effectiveness is the late swing, which has no doubt been in abundance since his comeback.

Lol yeah that was me. Telling it how it is. Strange though, i left my name as the_gas from planetcricket.org, but they read out our email address instead. :eek:

Please can you tell me about what you put down, I missed it unfortunately.

He read out your whole e-mail address? :help

Urgh, Everton can you remember exactly what i said? Its left me now that i have had the best part of a bottle of wine. I was cracking up when they read it out though.

They read out our email address, but they didn't include the @ntlworld.com to be fair, but still they said we have an email from matthew and gemma (to which simon thomas said, "i think this is probably from Matthew"). :D

Users who are viewing this thread