South Africa in England

Hang about, how can any of you seriously consider dropping Panesar? His bowling is world class and he's far and a way the best spin bowler in England. And the comment about his fielding is fruitless, he hasn't put a foot wrong in the field since he shelled a catch against Sri Lanka at Edgbaston and that was in 2006.

But He's Monty! You cant drop the most loved person in test cricket!

Come on to be fair Monty is probably one of the most hard working cricketers in the England set up and even kind of maybe looks like a bit of a batsmen and his fielding has improved!

Oh i know there would be outrage - riots, the whole country would colapse. Anyway, England would never do anything that is anti PR - look at the fintoff selection

Flintoff's the best pace bowler in the country. That's why he was picked.
Panesar's the best spinner in the country. That's why he's still in the team.

Tbh your right, seeing him in the last test moving the ball away from the left hander was breathtaking

As for monty - i suppose your right again

Im hardly one to complain about batting, im a brilliant leg spin bowler, but i really am worse than Chris Martin at batting :(

Let's be honest. The reason because we are the best team because we are the only team to have an experienced pedalo driver!

Let's be honest. The reason because we are the best team because we are the only team to have an experienced pedalo driver!

mate, i am actually in histerics after that comment - brilliant:cheers

Thats made my day

But seriously, in any modern test setup, is is essential to have at least one expierienced pedalo driver

With Freddie, he brings an auro of "I'm here, you're either out or you're in for a struggle."

Monty has something more subtle along the lines of, "I'll let you see how my bowling goes, but one of these balls will suprise you and get you out," which he works perfectly. To just match him up,

Panesar - Harris

The South African spinner (spinner is a bit far, more of an Ashley Giles with control) has done nothing on spinless pitches, whereas Monty has got a few and really ties up an end! It makes the batsmen think about yet another thing,

"Ok who's got the strike to Monty, which of us will be better suited to block out an over," thats what Monty lives on, trying to crack through the blocks, look at what he did in Pakistan! (Was it?)

To show how bad Harris is, anyone remember that beautiful back foot cover caress by Anderson, yes ANDERSON! in his herioc 30+ score.

The South African spinner (spinner is a bit far, more of an Ashley Giles with control)

I have honestly never seen him move the ball more than an inch, Why dont SA use Graeme Smith as there spinner and get gibbs in?

Smith turns the ball more than Harris and is probably more of an acomplished bowler..

Stats Time!

Ive seen Smith bowl once or twice, he isnt to bad, better than pietersen, nearly as good as clarke.

Has any onc else noticed, it's allways the "hard men" who bowl gentle off spin?

Smith
Pietersen
Symonds
Gayle

To name a few

Swann 'll do the job to. With all due respect, Panesar's batting and fielding are not up to terst level, as where Swann's are

Give him a go
A spin bowler can not be dropped in test match cricket just because his batting isn't up to the standard of a worse spin bowler. Monty is fine.

Ah, I didn't see this current page, thought the previous one was the last page:p.

Last edited:
Harris isn't as bad as people are making out. He isn't a strike bowler and his role in the side is to tie down one end and to give the quickies an occasional rest. So far he's done a decent job for his team on two unresponsive pitches to spin bowling. His batting looked solid at Headingley as well. It's very rare that you find left arm spinners who are match winners.

A spin bowler can not be dropped in test match cricket just because his batting isn't up to the standard of a worse spin bowler. Monty is fine.

Im not saying he should be dropped:p

meerly sugesting that Swann should be given a go

And I was also meerly pointing out that Panears batting isn'tt verry good, not saying that he should be dropped.

I love monty - and whilst i protest heavily against anyone brining out htere autibiography before there first birthday, his is ecxelent.

Strauss (C)
Cook
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Geriant Jones
Flintoff <<< (that way less pressure in his batting and more wickets :D)
Dalrymple (Good bastsman, would shrink the tail - always rated his bowling)
Broad / Sidebottom (whose fit?)
S. Jones
J. Anderson

Some contreversial choices - ill let you do the rest :cheers

Dalrymple and Geraint Jones?

I could sort of see the Jones selection, his keeping is very good, his batting is hit and miss (not his style, but how often he gets runs, he never scores that big, not this season anyway)

Dalrymple selection really puzzles me though, he went to Glamorgan and hasn't exactly stood out.

Championship averages:

362 runs @ 27.84, 3 50s, highest of 82.
5 wickets @ 61.8, best of 2-23

Not only is he in no form of any kind, but his record over his career is distinctly average. He's ok, better in OD cricket, but he'll never play Test cricket and I'll doubt he'll ever play for England again.

Users who are viewing this thread