South Africa in England

Those in favour of Harris must be blind, Smith would do the job to the same standard or higher. Get Harris dropped and get Nel/Gibbs in.

Now that Steyn's ruled out, Harris probably has to play anyway. Will the pitch spin does anyone reckon?

I guess there's Zondeki, but I still like a spinner in any side for the balance. Harris can bat a bit too. He's handy. I'd give him a few more chances.

If that logic can't save Broad from the axe, I don't see why Harris should be exempted.

Okay, is this Pattinson a huge guy in English domestic cricket or something, because when I asked who he was I got a 'Living under a Rock?' neg rep :p

That was probably zMario. He gives everyone nameless neg reps.

Anyway Pattinson isn't a big name in county cricket at all. Not even us England fans had heard much about him going into that Test and most of us hadn't even heard of him at all. Michael Vaughan being one of the many people who were baffled by the selection as well.

Well going back to SA and changes they can make, well a replacement for Dale is a must, it could be Nel or Zondeki, I believe the one that perform in this current match will get the nod, but also, Harris have not impressed, one can say the quicks did the work in the 2nd test so he got a let off, but there is Robin Peterson, bowls say style as Harris, and his test figures are almost identical, so he could be given a nod as well, and it appears that Harris himself might have an injury, not serious, but one none the less, there is the belief that a team that won a test match should not be changed, and I agree, but I also believe that a player with an injury, no matter how small, should not be carried into a test match.
I guess we just have to wait and see.

Hopefully England look at Simon Jones to come into the squad for the next test since he's said that he's fit and ready. I suppose if Sidebottom is fit it, he'll just replace Pattinson but I wouldn't mind Jones being there since his pace and ability to reverse swing the old ball is a tremendous asset, which England would want after there lack of penetration in the first two tests.

I think its a no-brainer to replace Steyn with Nel. As for Harris i agree that they should keep him. Never change a winning team unless through injury.

If Petersen out-performs Harris in the current game, then he could replace him. Petersen is a middle-order batsman for his franchise team and he's an excellent fielder. He can throw with both hands :eek:

Harmison back in the squad. I think he'll play - there is real point of picking someone like that just to be in the squad, he'll probably come in for Broad, which is unfortunate for him but his bowling hasn't been upto scratch. Sidebottom in for Pattinson of course.

Flintoff should bat 6 instead of Ambrose, someone's said it before he has been a test number 6 and he could be again if given the confidence. He should only bat 7 if there is someone like Prior, or like way back when Stewart was keeper.

Harmy will play, doubt they'd call him up just to sit it out, that'll do nothing for his fragile confidence.

I think he'll stutter, he doesnt seem to be able to do Test cricket anymore, much like the Ramprakash scenario but in a bowlers form.

I think Harmison's well up for this Test match. With Anderson and Sidebottom in the squad he won't have to worry about taking the new ball and he'll also be able to play alongside his best mate Flintoff again. Good selection but a week too late.

Ok, Ok, not Dalrymple but maybe Swann?

And i agree about Jones' hit and miss batting, but was anyone at the fourth test in the 2005 Ashes, his 85 was magnificent

Jones was too inconsistant his keeping was poor one moment then brilliant the next, I was at the 3rd Ashes Test 05 final day when he took a stunner after it had hit Strauss' knee then he'd miss simple stumping chances off Giles. His batting was much the same great century against West Indies, I think, but then couldn't buy a run. Overall I don't think he's good enough for Test matches others like Prior and Ambrose are better overall.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread