South Africa in England

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Is Simon Jones fit again/In reckoning by any chance?

I think England MUST include an allrounder or some type of batsman in that middle to lower order. With the tail starting at 6 (Ambrose isn't that good of a bat and Flintoff's skills with the willow are not the same) it's near impossible to recover from early setbacks.

Brady

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I would have liked to have seen Jones in the squad rather than harmison!

Jones brings alot more to the table as a bowler than harmy does!

Almost feels like an act of desperation bringing harmison back!

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Yes, utter desparation to pick your leading wicket taker from Division One domestic cricket.

Brady

School Cricketer
Yes, utter desparation to pick your leading wicket taker from Division One domestic cricket.

Harmison simply wont be able to cut it at international level anymore!

I couldn't careless if he tok 100 wickets at an average of 5!

Bowling at Smith, Kallis, Amla, Prince, Boucher and AB is a different league!

He took an ass kicking on saturday as well if i remember 40+ runs of his 4 overs!

Jones brings way more variety to the attack!

Harmison and Hoggard shouldn't get back in the squad, if they do, where going backwards!

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
You do realise T20 and 5 DAY Test Matches are two completely different games?

Collingwood50

Club Cricketer
I'm not to sure I'd replace Broad. But I think he will be dropped. Then again, if he is dropped our batting looks even shorter unless it is for Collingwood. The groundsman at Edgbaston thinks it will favour kiss the deck bowlers. Sidebum and Jimmy should be effective. If South Africa play Ntini, Nel and Morkel. I think we could benefit. Kallis could be the more effective.

I'm not convinced by Harmison tbh. I'd rather just make the one change of Sidebottom in for Pattinson.

Rested, not dropped - well thats what they tell us anyhow

The sad thing is that Broad has got the best batting average for this series, so ive been told

For the next test though, i predict 11 players who were born in Outer Mongolia but qualify for England because there mothers 2nd cousin visited England in 1824. Horrah

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Lol, good one.

It's annoying to see all these posters immediately writing Harmison off. They say 'but he'll never be able to cope with Test cricket'. Yeah, because you're all experts at pyschoanalysis aren't you?

Give him a chance; at the end of the day, he can't do much worse than Pattinson. One thing Harmison guarantees is wickets. So what if he's expensive, i'll put my house on the fact that he'll take a hatful at Edgbaston and that's exactly what we need because we've been lacking in wickets so far this series.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Pattinson didn't do bad at all. He was just never going to survive after the media uproar that followed his selection.

He bowled good lines on an unresponsive pitch.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Give him a chance; at the end of the day, he can't do much worse than Pattinson. One thing Harmison guarantees is wickets. So what if he's expensive, i'll put my house on the fact that he'll take a hatful at Edgbaston and that's exactly what we need because we've been lacking in wickets so far this series.

Harmison does not have a great record at Edgbaston, going from memory and the curator has said that this will not be a pitch that will help the freudian nightmare from Durham.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Harmison does not have a great record at Edgbaston, going from memory and the curator has said that this will not be a pitch that will help the freudian nightmare from Durham.

Cricket matches aren't played on records and statistics. Bad records are there to be ended.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Cricket matches aren't played on records and statistics. Bad records are there to be ended.

I would agree with that if it were an arbitrary record but this is a bowler and a pitch that doesn't help him. Harmison may prove me wrong (if he plays) and get good returns, but he is going to have to bowl bloody well to do it at Edgbaston.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
What Harmison does offer is experience at the highest level. I have always said that all he needed to do was to find consistency because there was absolutely no doubt about his ability.

I honestly think the South Africans are slightly bothered by Harmison's recall which is why their coach is talking so much. He should really be more concerned with his own team.

Valaskjalf

Club Captain
TBH if Edgebaston doesnt suit harmison it doesnt suit any of our bowlers either and you have Panesar....so in the end you might have the edge on the bowling and us on the batting = fair contest (perhaps)

Users who are viewing this thread