South Africa in India

Predict the result of this ODI series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
saisrini80 said:
We have the bowlers to stem those big hitters. RP Singh should play in most of the matches. He is a wicket taking yet economical bowler. I am concerned about Agarkar. I am sure the Africans can play him better than the Sri Lankans. I doubt if he would have the same success like against the Lankans. Ideally, Agarkar should play a game and if he does well, can be persisted with! We cant take any chances. We have to win the series handsomely 4-1 at least!
Dont you think sai 4-1 is a big ask considering the form of South Africans.

If you dont mind, I have noted one thing from your posts that sometime you are in total favor of Agarkar and at other times you doubt his success. Well I cant blame you considering the inconsistency Agarkar has shown in the past.

ashu2411 said:
Dont you think sai 4-1 is a big ask considering the form of South Africans.

If you dont mind, I have noted one thing from your posts that sometime you are in total favor of Agarkar and at other times you doubt his success. Well I cant blame you considering the inconsistency Agarkar has shown in the past.

i really like agarkar but as you said, his inconsistency is the irritating factor.... or else, he is such a brilliant bowler when its his day! but now with the team doing so well, i want it to maintain its current run. and the south africans are even better players of swing and seam bowling. so i dont know much faith in agarkar to deliver against the african nation. agarkar would do very well against sub continent teams and against other teams in highly favorable conditions! he really has not proved that he can perform any day on any pitch.

saisrini80 said:
i really like agarkar but as you said, his inconsistency is the irritating factor.... or else, he is such a brilliant bowler when its his day! but now with the team doing so well, i want it to maintain its current run. and the south africans are even better players of swing and seam bowling. so i dont know much faith in agarkar to deliver against the african nation. agarkar would do very well against sub continent teams and against other teams in highly favorable conditions! he really has not proved that he can perform any day on any pitch.
I agree buddy. But dont you think if we keep Yuvi in team expecting that he will play a match winning inning in every 5- 6 games, then why not go with Agarkar also expecting his match winning bowling once in 5-6 matches.

ashu2411 said:
I agree buddy. But dont you think if we keep Yuvi in team expecting that he will play a match winning inning in every 5- 6 games, then why not go with Agarkar also expecting his match winning bowling once in 5-6 matches.

Yuvi is different from Agarkar.... He definitely saves some runs on the field and keeps the pressure on the batsmen by his fielding. Agarkar is not an exceptional fielder!

saisrini80 said:
Yuvi is different from Agarkar.... He definitely saves some runs on the field and keeps the pressure on the batsmen by his fielding. Agarkar is not an exceptional fielder!
yup a good point there sai.

When Agarkar is inconsistent is this due to lack of swing or just him not putting the ball in the right place?

I would be tempted to try Piyush Chawla in this series because it would be better to blood him in against the SA side who are relatively weak against spin and especially legspin ! My XI would be

Sachin Tendulkar
Virender Sehwag
M.Kaif
R.Dravid
Y.Singh
M.S.Dhoni
I.Pathan
H.Singh
RP.Singh
A.Agarkar
M.Karthik

Supersub : Raina or karthik depending upon the pitch conition and what the team opts for before the toss

Sai, coming back on the super sub thing, i would bring in Katick after one of the bowlers finish their spell....Mainly RP Singh, OR Agarkar. kartik can bat (considering he first came into the game as a middle order bat), and is an exeptional fielder in the very few matches that i've seen him play him....

Also, do u think Sehwag will have a run for his money now? Gambhir has been very aggressive, equal to sehwag, and quite consistant, more consitant than Sehwag! Interesting.

aditya123 said:
I would be tempted to try Piyush Chawla in this series because it would be better to blood him in against the SA side who are relatively weak against spin and especially legspin ! My XI would be

Sachin Tendulkar
Virender Sehwag
M.Kaif
R.Dravid
Y.Singh
M.S.Dhoni
I.Pathan
H.Singh
RP.Singh
A.Agarkar
M.Karthik

Supersub : Raina or karthik depending upon the pitch conition and what the team opts for before the toss

Hmm...how can someone be the Super sub, and be in the playing XI :D

saisrini80 said:

I agree buddy

Cricketman93 said:
Sai, coming back on the super sub thing, i would bring in Katick after one of the bowlers finish their spell....Mainly RP Singh, OR Agarkar. kartik can bat (considering he first came into the game as a middle order bat), and is an exeptional fielder in the very few matches that i've seen him play him....

Also, do u think Sehwag will have a run for his money now? Gambhir has been very aggressive, equal to sehwag, and quite consistant, more consitant than Sehwag! Interesting.

Hmm...how can someone be the Super sub, and be in the playing XI :D

I think he wants Raina in place of Kartik in the XI if the team plans to bat first and Kartik for Raina if the team plans to bowl first!

For god's sake, its not 'Karthik' but 'Kartik' ! Karthik goes with Dinesh Karthik and Kartik goes with Murali Kartik!

For god's sake, its not 'Karthik' but 'Kartik' ! Karthik goes with Dinesh Karthik and Kartik goes with Murali Kartik!

Thats what I keep saying!!! :mad

Agarkar doesn't pitch the ball consistantly aussie.
And he is a pretty good fielder. Good Arm, safe hands, suited for places like short fine leg, point, etc.

Now, firstly I wan to see Zaheer back. Next, less of Kartik(see, it also has less letters, so its easier to type) as Bhajji is good enough. JP Yadav will be ideal as a super sub. Seing as we have good fifth bowling options(Viru, Yuvi, Sachin and Raina), if we sub out a bowler for his batting in a crisis, we won't lose out too much. Similarly, while bowling first, we can sub out a batter incase needed.
The problem is, our bench strength is too strong. 4 good seamers-RP, Irfan, Agarkar, and Sreesanth-and Zaheer returning(hopefully :upray). Then two good spinners, Bhajji and Kartik, and Priyush Chawala who has to be blooded soon. And then Gambhir looking good as an opener, then Kaif, Yuvi, Dravid,Rao and Raina for the middle order. Then we have to try out Karthik(the keeper) soon in ODIs(and Dhoni in tests) and not to forget JP yadav our allrounder. Also Sachin is back...and the likes of Ganguly, Badani, Patel, Sriram, Moniga, Utthappa, Balaji, Nehra all missing-Ayayayi!!! I'm lost :confused:!!! In order to try all these out we need a new XI each match!!!

Back to my point, this is why our team is performing better, as they can be dropped in a heartbeat and be replaced.

That is some depth India have there. They are looking a lot stronger than usual.
They will be a big threat come the World cup. But are they a threat in test matches as I haven't seen India play one for awhile. With all this depth in ODI, surely some of the guys will carry over to the test arena.

First tour match for SA

SA have won comfortable after bowling Hyderabad XI for 127. Botha taking 3 and Nel 3/14 off 8 overs.
Smith 44 and de Villiers 55 get SA over the total with 8 wickets to spare.

I'm surprised Kartik is still in the team and Zaheer Khan not. He is bowling very good lately. He also gave Ganguly a nice addition to his duckcollection in one match, when he bowled him out and LBW him.

De Villiers was looking good in that match. He hit two sixes. And Nel is bowling very steady now.

If that tour game is anything to go by then we are in for one cracker of a series.
Botha seems to replace Boje perfectly as he can bat fairly well it seems. And if off spinners seem to be working in India currently.

Users who are viewing this thread