Spanish Football thread

Who will win the La Liga this season?

• Total voters
If Gerrard ends up at Real Madrid, their midfield next season is going to look very "heavy". At the moment, I think their midfield area is fine and with Mourinho around, he will surely be able to do something with the players in midfield. Their back four is the obvious problem.

Indeed. De Rossi is the perfect for the defensive midfield position and could allow Alonso to concentrate on his game. The same applies to Kolarov at left back, solid and dynamic at the same time. Although personally I would still prefer Filipe.

There's a really good quote from Franco Baresi regarding the signings of central midfield players for Real Madrid this season. I'll try and find it...

“One thing does not fit,” says Baresi. “Why have they [Real Madrid] hired Xabi Alonso? Xabi Alonso is a good player but he serves the same profile as Gago, Granero and Mahmadou Diarra. They had to sign Felipe Melo. He is technically and physically superior and is able to give a new dimension to the midfield. Lass, Xabi and Granero play on the same plane. It is a mistake to put them together. The only one who breaks the line is Guti.”

I think that Alonso is better technically than Melo but the point he's making is very good. Liverpool realised this season that Alonso was truely crucial because he was the link between Mascherano and Gerrard and offered a different dimension. If you have a flat line of players, there's a lot of predictability in your attack. De Rossi will offer something different from Alonso and Madrid should be a lot more fluid in transition.

1. Melo has been horrific for Juventus last season.
2. We were expecting Lass to "do his job" and support Alonso in midfield. He did exactly that in the second half of the previous season, but was a big disappointment in 2009-10. While I agree Gago and Alonso are similar, Lass is/was the holding man. Baresi has got that wrong and also Granero plays in much more advance position.
3. De Rossi will basically be a more "reliable" option than Lass.

1. I think it's the same point but only for Juventus here; Melo and Sissiko tended to basically ploay on the same, flat line offering the same role. It clearly didn't work and Juventus were predictable, and Melo was uncomfortable.
2. Fair enough about Granero, but I think the point here is that they were playing on too flat a line and that they become predictable and easy to mark. From what I saw of Real Madrid it looked like they were basically playing a square/box formation in the midfield.
3. Yeah I guess I agree with that.

I really hope Real sign a good left back like cole because marcelo is never found defending and drenthe is rubbish.

Saw that Kolarov bloke for Serbia for the first time the other day. Looks good. But surely big Ash Cole would be a better buy.

Kolarov then could be easily tempted to go to Chelsea, if Cole goes to Madrid. With his team Ivanovic already their.

Spain have returned to the top of the FIFA rankings as well, exactly a year after losing it to Brazil after the Confederations Cup.

Confirms the 'best team in the world' position completely and not just because of winning the World Cup.

And this is just the beginning.:happy

Whats the chances of A Cole going to Madrid, M Vaughan?

So we start of with Mallorca. Last season's surprise package. Clasicos in Nov and Apr, and in general Nov-Dec and Apr-May going to be crucial for us as we have Pathetico, Bilbao, Barca, Valencia and Sevilla pretty much back to back.

Barca have certainly had a more favourable draw.

Whatever draws come in Barcelona's way .......it does not not matter mate......
I am cent percent sure they will take sweet revenge on Mourinho following their elimination by Inter in last year's CL semis.......:)
Only one winner really in barcelona.....:yes

Users who are viewing this thread