Sri Lanka in India

Who will win the ODI's and TESTS matches?

• ODI Drawn, SL wins Test

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ODI Drawn, Test Drawn

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Cricketman93 said:
hm JP Yadav would be a good inclusion to the team as a Super Sub! He can be a savior batter if we are in trouble and is quite a handy bowler!

on the pitches of pakistan, Ganguly's seam bowling might just be enough! and his batting adds a lot....

What's the probable line-up to face Pakistan/what would you like to see?

prarara said:
What's the probable line-up to face Pakistan/what would you like to see?

Here's my probable line up against Pakistan (in the order of the XI)

Tests

Gautam Gambhir
Virender Sehwag
Rahul Dravid (c)
Sachin Tendulkar
VVS Laxman
Yuvraj Singh/Saurav Ganguly (if the pitch is a seamer's paradise, Saurav can be a useful fifth bowler!)
MS Dhoni
I Pathan
Ajit Agarkar
Anil Kumble
Zaheer Khan (or) L Balaji

ODI's

Sachin Tendulkar
Virender Sehwag
Saurav Ganguly
Rahul Dravid
Yuvraj Singh
Mohammed Kaif
MS Dhoni
I Pathan
Ajit Agarkar
Harbhajan Singh
Zaheer Khan
Super Sub : Murali Kartik/Saurav Ganguly (depending on conditions!)

India shouldnt be fooled with the claims of pace-helpful pitches in pakistan. It is a tour where we'll need to try few youngsters, like V. Rao and Raina.
I'm sure ganguly will be back, either for ODI or test or may be both.

If he performs well, he'll stay. If not i hope V. Rao/Raina and other youngsters get a chance.
Anil Kumble, H. Singh and may be karthik should be picked. Pathan has one place sealed for himself, Z.Khan should be back after some stupendous performances in domestic cricket and Agarkar can be handy as well. Nehra/Balaji are quite helpful in fast pitches.

Basically, its going to be a very similar team that toured pakistan. It'll be a very evenly-fought contest.

Yap Cricket Lover. We should have Raina and Roa. What a footwork they have. I hope both of them get picked. I don't know about Yadav weather he'll be picked or no. But Roa and Raini should definately be in. And I just hope Zaheer Khan comes back. I'll pray to God that she should be included. And also for the test. Wasim Jaffer will surely be pick. Do you know when the Squad will be announced of India touring to Pakistan.

saisrini80 said:
Here's my probable line up against Pakistan (in the order of the XI)

Tests

Gautam Gambhir
Virender Sehwag
Rahul Dravid (c)
Sachin Tendulkar
VVS Laxman
Yuvraj Singh/Saurav Ganguly (if the pitch is a seamer's paradise, Saurav can be a useful fifth bowler!)
MS Dhoni
I Pathan
Ajit Agarkar
Anil Kumble
Zaheer Khan (or) L Balaji

ODI's

Sachin Tendulkar
Virender Sehwag
Saurav Ganguly
Rahul Dravid
Yuvraj Singh
Mohammed Kaif
MS Dhoni
I Pathan
Ajit Agarkar
Harbhajan Singh
Zaheer Khan
Super Sub : Murali Kartik/Saurav Ganguly (depending on conditions!)
Why not Bhajji for test? And, for ODI we do need to try the youngsters. Sorry for most of you don't like this, but I really don't want Ganguly to be back in ODI. Rao or Raina would be great!

Pav Bhajji was too spicy for Lankans!!! And I hope he'll be extremely spicy for Pakistan!!! Lolz...

I didnt pick Harbhajan for the test XI because the pitches are said to be pace and bounce friendly, and we need 3 seamers. So its a case of picking between Harbhajan and Kumble. I would go for Anil Kumble over Harbhajan!

Ganguly can serve India better in the ODI's. He can be super subbed if India bowl second and can get a match and can get to bat also! Raina will be there in the 15. Rao has no place right now due to Ganguly. Yadav is not needed. Ganguly has taken much more wickets in the ODI's and is a better experienced bowler than Yadav in the ODI's.

Big_Boss said:
I would do it in this order -

Tests

Virender Sehwag
Saurav Ganguly
Sachin Tendulkar
Rahul Dravid (C)
VVS Laxman
Yuvraj Singh
MS Dhoni (W)
I Pathan
Anil Kumble
Harbhajan Singh
Zaheer Khan/Murali Kartik (Depending on the pitch)

ODI's

Virender Sehwag
Saurav Ganguly
Sachin Tendulkar
Rahul Dravid (C)
Yuvraj Singh
Mohammed Kaif
MS Dhoni (W)
I Pathan
Harbhajan Singh
Zaheer Khan
RP Singh/Ajit Agarkar

ODI's have the Super Sub rule...

BY the way,the ICC will review the Super Sub rule by the end of the year. Even though the India-Pakistan ODI series has been announced well before, I am sure Pakistan would be given the option to implement it at their choice and I am also sure they would implement it immediately for the series itself if the rule is changed to select the Super Sub after the toss!

By the way, why does India need 3 seamers in ODI's and only 2 in tests? I think it should be the other way where we can have 3 seamers in the tests and two seamers in the ODI's

I would do it in this order -

Tests

Virender Sehwag
Saurav Ganguly
Sachin Tendulkar
Rahul Dravid (C)
VVS Laxman
Yuvraj Singh
MS Dhoni (W)
I Pathan
Anil Kumble
Harbhajan Singh
Zaheer Khan/Murali Kartik (Depending on the pitch)

ODI's

Virender Sehwag
Sachin Tendulkar
Yuvraj Singh
Rahul Dravid (C)
Saurav Ganguly (Attack against spinners)
Mohammed Kaif
MS Dhoni (W)
I Pathan
Harbhajan Singh
Zaheer Khan
RP Singh/Ajit Agarkar

saisrini80 said:
Ganguly can serve India better in the ODI's. He can be super subbed if India bowl second and can get a match and can get to bat also! Raina will be there in the 15. Rao has no place right now due to Ganguly. Yadav is not needed. Ganguly has taken much more wickets in the ODI's and is a better experienced bowler than Yadav in the ODI's.
LOLZ...Sai you funny man! You want Ganguly to bowl in Pakistan? OMG!!! Don't you know Inzi's going to kill him and smash him all around the park. Ganguly's bowling sucks!!! lolz I know Dravid won't do this mistake. We play better without Dada as the result shows against Sri Lanka.

Dhoni said:
LOLZ...Sai you funny man! You want Ganguly to bowl in Pakistan? OMG!!! Don't you know Inzi's going to kill him and smash him all around the park. Ganguly's bowling sucks!!! lolz I know Dravid won't do this mistake. We play better without Dada as the result shows against Sri Lanka.

Are you a bowling coach? or an experienced international cricket? to judge players just by looking at them on television.

Ganguly has got a 5 wicket haul against pakistan for something! He can bowl, and can be useful on good seamer friendly tracks. Never underestimate other's talent! We haven't got a percent of his talent anyway.

I think they could have tried Ganguly in the second test at Delhi. It'll give him a measure on how to bowl to different batsmen.

It would be a tough call for India, incase we play on bouncy wickets. It'll be hard to drop kumble/bhajji nor have both in the team at the cost of another seamer. We cannot rely too much on our "part-timers". Dravid will have good time there, with the captaincy and it'll be a optimal situation to show his skills.
I also think Gambhir should open with Sehwag. We cannot afford to experiment more on openers now, gambhir is solid and technically sound...he'll need more time to play big innings. Middle order is as good as it gets.
It'll be an exciting series! Pakistan is a much improved side, with every player delivering at some point.

Going in with 2 seamers in ODI cricket is a gamble because if one of your opening bowlers gets the stick, you are screwed. Also, spinners have far less leniency in the shorter version of the game than test cricket. Additionally, spinners can't really spin a web in the shorter version of the game because they only have 10 overs. As a result, they are looking more to keep the runs down than get wickets. Also, the 10 over restriction in ODI cricket prevents opening bowlers from bowling more than 6-7 bowlers. For all these reasons, it is better to choose more pace bowlers in an ODI outfit than a test one. There are no field restrictions in test cricket, so you can get your spinners on after 10 overs, if need be. Also, almost all test wickets will crumble by the 4th or 5th day, and if you have 2 class spin bowlers, you are in the best position to take advantage of this.

I am wondering if Inzamam is trying to play a trick on the Indian team by pointing out grassy pitches. :p Our team selection should definitely not be affected by this 'clue' because we need to build a team that performs consistently all over the world. If anywhere, I would play Ganguly on non-bouncy pitches, because he is far from comfortable in pace-bowler pitches against a quality pace attack. However, his competitor for the spot--Yuvraj--has not shown any specific prowess in that same regard, either. I guess Ganguly could earn that spot through his bowling presence only.

sohummisra said:
Going in with 2 seamers in ODI cricket is a gamble because if one of your opening bowlers gets the stick, you are screwed. Also, spinners have far less leniency in the shorter version of the game than test cricket. Additionally, spinners can't really spin a web in the shorter version of the game because they only have 10 overs. As a result, they are looking more to keep the runs down than get wickets. Also, the 10 over restriction in ODI cricket prevents opening bowlers from bowling more than 6-7 bowlers. For all these reasons, it is better to choose more pace bowlers in an ODI outfit than a test one. There are no field restrictions in test cricket, so you can get your spinners on after 10 overs, if need be. Also, almost all test wickets will crumble by the 4th or 5th day, and if you have 2 class spin bowlers, you are in the best position to take advantage of this.

I am wondering if Inzamam is trying to play a trick on the Indian team by pointing out grassy pitches. :p Our team selection should definitely not be affected by this 'clue' because we need to build a team that performs consistently all over the world. If anywhere, I would play Ganguly on non-bouncy pitches, because he is far from comfortable in pace-bowler pitches against a quality pace attack. However, his competitor for the spot--Yuvraj--has not shown any specific prowess in that same regard, either. I guess Ganguly could earn that spot through his bowling presence only.

I agree on the Ganguly-Yuvraj thing! Ganguly might earn that spot on his bowling presence!

Pawar assures Ganguly that no more injustice is meted out to him! People think of this as an indication that Dada would be selected for the Pak tour! How funny! IMHO, Pawar doesnt seem to have any hand in the sacking of Ganguly! So I am sure its the work of the selectors but also I think they might have been influenced by the coach and captain's requirements (Remember, the coach said he wanted to give Yuvraj a chance, he did not say he does not want Saurav!).

For me, if the selection continues in the same way as it is now, I dont see any place for Saurav in the team. If Dravid decides that its fine to have Saurav in the 15 and not have him in the XI, then Saurav could be on the touring party in place of Kaif. Or else, he has to rely on the ODI selection!

Dhoni said:

This means you dont know quite well of Ganguly's bowling. Even though he is not a great shakes as a bowler, he can get quite good assistance from pitches supporting seam 'n swing! He moves the ball quite well and I have seen him do that! If the wickets in Pakistan aid seam movement and swing, I would definitely want to have Ganguly's bowling as back up!

Users who are viewing this thread