Sri Lanka in New Zealand

irottev

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Fixtures:

Demember 26th 2004 - 1st ODI - Auckland New Zealand won by 7 wickets.

2005-2006
December 31st - 1st ODI - Queenstown
January 3rd - 2nd ODI - Christchurch
January 6th - 3rd ODI - Wellington
January 8 - 4th ODI - Napier

Of course this is the reamining matches which didn't get played due to the Tsunami disaster. I believe New Zealand are 1-0 up as this is a continuation of the previous series.

Here is the thread from the abandoned series: Old Thread

UPDATE

Sri Lanka have named their squad:

Marvan Atapattu (captain)
Chaminda Vaas (vice-captain)
Sanath Jayasuriya
Mahela Jayawardene
Kumar Sangakkara
Tillakaratne Dilshan
Upul Tharanga
Farveez Maharoof
Muttiah Muralitharan
Avishka Gunawardene
Lasith Malinga
Malinga Bandara
Jehan Mubarak
Russel Arnold
Ruchira Perera
Dilhara Fernando

The Main point of interest is that Jayasuriya is back.

New Zealand are set to name their squad tomorrow. Fleming has a broken bone in his finger so is in doubt to play the first ODI but should be ok to play at very least the last 3 matches if not all. Bond is 100% fit.

UPDATE: (23rd December)

New Zealand have named their squad:

Stephen Fleming (captain)
Daniel Vettori (vice-captain)
Andre Adams
Shane Bond
Chris Cairns
Peter Fulton
Jamie How
Hamish Marshall
Brendon McCullum
Kyle Mills
Jacob Oram
Scott Styris
Lou Vincent

Last edited:
irottev said:
I believe New Zealand are 1-0 up as this is a continuation of the previous series.
and they will be 5-0 up after this series.SRL have no chance in NZL conditions, specially with the form they are in and with tough conditions in NZL. :happy

Last edited:
I don't think we will win all of the matches. I do think we are favorites to win the series however. Being 1-0 up already makes it really difficult for Sri Lanka.

About tough conditions, what do you mean by that? Wellington and Christchurch produced 642 and 663 runs. Thats conditions are only tough on bowlers. Napier is usually a good pitch but I have no idea about Queenstown.

Any team needs to adjust to the conditions. I do think that Sri Lanka arn't in the best of form but there is plenty of talent and you never know.

irottev said:
About tough conditions, what do you mean by that?

**I meant tough for SRL, not originally tough. Conditions in IND were also good for batting, but they struggled against them. SRLs are generally very good players against spinners but then again they struggled against Indian spinners.

**So,do you think they can cope up with the likes of Bond,Franklin,Mills etc....
No, I don't think so. No matter how good the conditions will be for batting., they will still find the bounce,swing and seam movement difficult to handle. :onpc

Last edited:
andrew_nixon said:
It technically counts as a separate series.

I thought so too but cricinfo says "The four-match series, which starts on December 31 at Queenstown, is a continuation of the unfinished five-match series abandoned last Christmas due to the Asian tsunami. "

So its confusing. I hope we start equal 0-0 though.

irottev said:
I thought so too but cricinfo says "The four-match series, which starts on December 31 at Queenstown, is a continuation of the unfinished five-match series abandoned last Christmas due to the Asian tsunami. "

So its confusing. I hope we start equal 0-0 though.
It definitely is a separate series. The last 4 ODIs of the last tour are recorded in the stats as abandoned, not postponed.

i think we should win this series. especially with sri lanka in pretty bad form, i think they will struggle most in our conditions and with fleming likely to be out of the series. another good chance for vettori to show his captaincy skills

jazz said:
i think we should win this series. especially with sri lanka in pretty bad form, i think they will struggle most in our conditions and with fleming likely to be out of the series. another good chance for vettori to show his captaincy skills
Absolutely right mate, that's what I meant Irrotev. :happy

Sri Lanka are at the moment on a low .
They are usually very good in the subcontinental conditions but they were never allowed to get up by India .

They`ll find this tour to NZ even more difficult .
They`ve neven been good outside the subcontinent .
They could not bear the cold conditions (about 9-10 degrees in North India) during winter in India, how will they bear the NZ cold ?

The Lankans will find the kiwis really hard to beat in thier conditions......in the odis in 2002, India had really low scores in the kiwis conditions.

new zealand conditions are similar to south african conditions and sometimes england conditions can become similar during may

Users who are viewing this thread