Sri Lanka in New Zealand

Of course, New Zealand are favorites to win the series!

Sri Lanka's performance in India even made some to say that they look like a club side! Seriously, they need a lot of revamp! Jayasuriya should be brought back! Tom Moody's start to his coaching stint was a flash in the pan and it was proved! Sri Lanka have to grow out of their home conditions and perform at other places!

jazz said:
with fleming likely to be out of the series. another good chance for vettori to show his captaincy skills

Fleming will most likely play all of the matches. The decision was being made today. t may be a good idea for him to be rested for the first match, but I want him back and captaining for the last three.

EDIT: Infact the NZ Squad has been named with big changed:

Stephen Fleming, Daniel Vettori, Andre Adams, Shane Bond, Chris Cairns, Peter Fulton, Jamie How, Hamish Marshall, Brendon McCullum, Kyle Mills, Jacob Oram, Scott Styris, Lou Vincent.

Astle, McMillan, J Marshall and Franklin are out due to bad form. Peter Fulton and Jamie How are raplacing them and Adams and Fleming are back from injury. Martin was also replaced with Bond.

Strong side. I am glad they gave Fulton a god, hes been in good form. How though, mmmm it might pay off. Hes most likely to be a sub or else carry the drinks.

Astle and McMillan deserved to be dropped. They will easily make the team again if they play well in domestic cricket. It will make things easier for them to get back into form without worrying about the Sri Lanka series. If they put in the hard yards like Cairns did it wil be no trouble. J Marshall wasn't effective enough, his role wasn't really fair, he had to bat in different positions each time and got juggled around. And hes been in bad form domestically. Franklin, he needed to be out, hes a test bowler. Martin bettered him but they had to make space for Bond so fair enough.

The team is just so strong allround. How should be the one left out and I would say Adams will be the supersub.

Last edited:
3-1 for sure. NZ all the way with Bond coming back so everything will be ruined for SL Batting. Just like the same way Shane Bond did to India.

Bond bowled very well in Domestic Cricket so he is in good form still.

It was sad that Bond couldn't play in the Chappel-Hadlee series. Hope he continues his outstading international success with the ball. Very surprised Astle is out even though he is way out of form. He is NZ best batsman but hopefully he can rectify his form in STATE cricket.

well now that im back in new zealand i can enjoy and watch these matches. im going to try and go for the 3rd odi in wellington

vibs89 said:
3-1 for sure. NZ all the way with Bond coming back so everything will be ruined for SL Batting. Just like the same way Shane Bond did to India.
It doesn't mean he's going to pick up 6 wickets in every match!

Bond doesn't need to take 6 wickets every match to cause problems. If he gets a wicket or 2 early and is his economical self then it will put pressure on the batsmen and make it easier on our other bowlers. Then when Bond is off, Vettori can come in a cause even more pressure.

I have heard that Fleming is expecting a child sometime soon so he may miss the last match or two.

Im going to the Christchurch match. Can't wait.

3-1 or 4-0 could be the out come ...because the moral of Sri Lankans is down...plus different tracks (if they werent able to at least compete on Indian tracks which are similar to their "home" tracks the New Zeland tracks are very very different).
At least they should fight ....

Sri Lanka playing alot of ODI cricket in the new year. 4 against NZ and another 8 in Aus. I reckon 3-1 will be the outcome of the series. Lankans will win at lesat 1 game.

kodos said:
Sri Lanka playing alot of ODI cricket in the new year. 4 against NZ and another 8 in Aus. I reckon 3-1 will be the outcome of the series. Lankans will win at lesat 1 game.
Buddy don't be over confidence coz over confidence kills. You never know whose going to win. This is cricket not baseball. Anything can happen in cricket. Sri Lanka can win too.

over confidence kills? So if all the members predict NZ to win the series 3-1 or 4-0 then we all going to die? No such thing as overconfidence kills, it's just my prediction that NZ will win if they played in the same manner as they did in the last 2 games of the Chappel Hadlee series. If you think the Lankans can win than fine by me it is your opinion and I wont flame at you like what you did to me.

I am with kodos. Its quite obvious that the NZ team are hot favorites. Its a prediction, not over confidance.

Well I'm sure Shane Bond will fire up. And in every match he will take 3-4 wickets. He's a crazy guy. I love the way he bowls and also the inswinger and that too in fast delievery. Just love it man.

I found that cricinfo numbers game interesting:

Last five wickets since 2004

New Zealand
Runs per Partnership: 30.43
% Contribution to team total: 41.79

Unbelieveable. On this subject I want to see Bond bat, well I don't as it will mean lots of wickets have fallen, but he is a very capable number eleven. He scored a domestic (4 day) century last season. Since he couldn't bowl he spent a lot of time getting his batting better. He himself has said he is annoyed with the supersub rule because he feels he may never get a bat or hardly ever. Like the rest of the team he is quite aggressive.

Users who are viewing this thread