The Greatest ODI Batsman: Tendulkar vs Richards

Greatest ODI Batsman

• Tendulkar

Votes: 36 72.0%
  • Richards

Votes: 14 28.0%

• Total voters
To add to that, he averages 45 batting at the top and not No.6 or 7 like an MS Dhoni or a Bevan.
Kallis is near him in batting average but Kallis can not match the strike rate at which Tendulkar plays.

sachingr8 added 0 Minutes and 46 Seconds later...

It's neither of these two. It should be Chris Martin or Muralitharan. :p I am still wondering the use/purpose of this thread.:sarcasm

I've said it earlier that this thread do not serve any purpose but just for fighting.

So what you're saying is that no batsman has been better than Tendulkar this decade?

What I`m saying is that noone has been as prolific as Tendulkar for as long as 20 years and 442 games in ODI cricket. Not talking about a span of 5 years or 10 years. Look at it wholistically, you`ll know what I`m talking about. Its pure common sense that averaging 45 over 400+ ODIs and 20 years is very very tough and I`d challenge you to point out someone else in these 20 years who has done the same with as much consistency. Not even going back to the Richards era as everyone has pretty much agreed to the fact that it is tough to compare the 2 as they are from different generations.

aditya123 added 4 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

Kallis is near him in batting average but Kallis can not match the strike rate at which Tendulkar plays.
Although Kallis is a legend, he is`nt even in the league of Tendulkar as an ODI batsman. Matty Hayden and Gilchrist were similar in impact and so was Ganguly but Tendulkar has kept it going for a lot longer than those guys. And as you said, he has managed to score close to a run a ball and keep up an average in the mid 40s. Look at Sanath, he`s played the same number of games as Sachin but has not had anywhere near the same level of consistency and is struggling to keep his place in the side now.

Although Kallis is a legend, he is`nt even in the league of Tendulkar as an ODI batsman. Matty Hayden and Gilchrist were similar in impact and so was Ganguly but Tendulkar has kept it going for a lot longer than those guys. And as you said, he has managed to score close to a run a ball and keep up an average in the mid 40s. Look at Sanath, he`s played the same number of games as Sachin but has not had anywhere near the same level of consistency and is struggling to keep his place in the side now.
Yeah you are right, I was just talking about averages and strike rates and stats, but if we look impact wise then Sachin have much more impact on today's cricket than anybody else.

Kallis has been playing on more seam friendly wickets, while Tendulkar has drawn the longer straw, and generally plays on flat tracks. Yesl, I know this isn't his fault but it's something you have to consider.

Kallis has been playing on more seam friendly wickets, while Tendulkar has drawn the longer straw, and generally plays on flat tracks.
You are wrong becuase Sachin has many centuries abroad too in Perth, Sydney and South African and England grounds.
He performed nearly everytime.
and Sachin plays faster bowlers really well.

What to say now, probably Viv was more brutal than Sachin, but Sachin has more days named on himself than Viv, dude your statement does all. Not even close.:facepalm:doh

All are saying that Viv was brutal than Sachin in ODI's, I also used to think so, but not after seeing his current form.
One thing more, Hasn't anybody of you see Sachin batting in T20's and IPL.

I don't think you know the meaning of the word brutal. And I haven't seen anyone that is making a case for Viv use that word.

Also who gives a fearsome tweak about the IPL and 20/20 when we are talking about ODIs. Get it straight.

Dare added 1 Minutes and 39 Seconds later...

Your point?

Tendulkar Vs Lara
Tendulkar Vs Hayden
Tendulkar Vs Ponting
Tendulkar Vs Bradman
Tendulkar Vs Richards
Tendulkar Vs Kallis.

:facepalm
Still people aren't convinced though none of the above discussions went peacefully. By comparing a single player against many great performers inturn implies his own greatness.

All unnecessary heated discussions will lead only to a thread closure. :p

Viv played them better on uncovered pitches with no helmet.
How can you say this when all of the good bowlers were in his team. Also how can you say that Viv played them better.

sachingr8 added 2 Minutes and 4 Seconds later...

Tendulkar Vs Lara
Tendulkar Vs Hayden
Tendulkar Vs Ponting
Tendulkar Vs Bradman
Tendulkar Vs Richards
Tendulkar Vs Kallis.

:facepalm
Still people aren't convinced though none of the above discussions went peacefully. By comparing a single player against many great performers inturn implies his own greatness.

All unnecessary heated discussions will lead only to a thread closure. :p

That's what I said in this thread that every Tendulkar's thread ends up like this. But some members started talking ridiculously.

You are wrong becuase Sachin has many centuries abroad too in Perth, Sydney and South African and England grounds.
He performed nearly everytime.

FYI Tendulkar has only scored 10 centuries at the home of the opposition, and only one in Australia, never at Perth. He has one in England and one in South Africa. 6 of them have been in the sub continent.

How can you say this when all of the good bowlers were in his team. Also how can you say that Viv played them better.

Yes because Lille, Hadlee, Dev, Botham, Imran, Willis, Thompson all played for the West Indies. You cant give your self a big face palms for that one.

Because I have seen videos of him batting against them on uncovered pitches with no helmet and have seen Sachin do it. So its actually easy.

only one in Australia
3 in sydney. Let me check of others.

sachingr8 added 1 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

Yes because Lille, Hadlee, Dev, Botham, Imran, Willis, Thompson all played for the West Indies. You cant give your self a big face palms for that one.

Because I have seen videos of him batting against them on uncovered pitches with no helmet and have seen Sachin do it. So its actually easy.

oh really, what about Steyn, Lee, Mcgrath, Akram, Waqar. Are they bad bowlers.

Users who are viewing this thread