The Greatest ODI Batsman: Tendulkar vs Richards

Greatest ODI Batsman

• Tendulkar

Votes: 36 72.0%
  • Richards

Votes: 14 28.0%

• Total voters
Martin will be very happy to be not only compared to Richards but being considered the greatest ODI batter with his brilliant average of 1.6 :)

Up until a period around 96 or 97 Chris really wasnt known as one of the best one day batsmen, but after the 96 world cup he stepped up his ODI game, and has been consistent since. Its not like he'd been the stand out ODI batsman since 1989, others were ahead of him comfortable until he reached his best form say in 96/97. Since then yes he's been outstanding, but there were a lot of years where his 'fear factor' seemed to diminish, I remember in the late 90's i'd just crap myself when we bowled to Chris, he seemed destined for a ton every time, which is how i'd feel when we played WI in the 80's. That fear of being torn apart by Chris seemed to ease as the 2000's progressed, he'd get runs but wasnt the aggressor of old, until just recently it seems. But his overall figures do him justice for sure.

:D

Anyone know someone who could direct Chris Martin this way? :p

:laugh Nice on Mark.

Number 11's are the funnest people to watch bat. Murali, McGrath, Nehra....but Martin is the king!

And you are wrong, the 15 over fielding restriction rule was introduced from the 1992 World Cup onwards - Cricinfo - Cricket World Cup 2007 in West Indies

Ok, at the time of your post I was strongly disagreed with the above- but didnt have time to look through old games to check it out. Just now ive gone through 7 random one day games from 82 - 89, all of them had the first 15 overs rule, with fielders to go out after 15 overs. As I stated on the first page the 15 overs rule had been in place since the 70's, I dont know what that website is talking about, with 1992. Maybe it got changed slightly in 92, doesnt seem so to me but I welcome more info from anyone. All 7 matches that I just watched from the 80's were exactly the same rules as in the 90's, or so it appeared. Channel Nine even showed the rules on the screen in one of the games in 1986 at the 15 over mark, plain to see.

EDIT- that article is wrong on a second count too, it says the 3rd umpire made his debut in front of the tv in 1996, but it was 1993- that is fact. So I would say that article is a piece of crap.

Last edited:
Interesing Robellina. I always thought the 15 overs restriction came into ODIs in the 1992 world cup as well.

Well I have all the 70's Packer world series games and they mention it all through it. In the 79/80 WSC they show the rules on the screen. What was the point of the fielding circle if there was no field restrictions? That was the whole point of it I thought. There has been always been the fielding restrictions in the first 15 overs, what could the rule have been otherwise back then? I dug out 15 more matches from the 80's and in every single one the spinner comes on at 15 overs when the field goes out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread