The VB Series 2006

VB Series Winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
dorey has to be dropped from side, cuz he is not performing well and australians cant take risk like that, gilly is coming in next match hope he will do well.

angryangy said:
Now back to Jayasuriya, I thought I heard he was going to miss the whole VB series, but now he is playing (and certainly doesn't look injured). Can anyone explain fully what his injury was and how long he was expected to miss?

He slipped in the bath and dislocated a shoulder.

He was feeling it when bowling if you didn't notice.

Jayasuria played very good today, reminds me back to his best days watching him play today. He Hit 4 sixes and they say he should retire?

angryangy said:
In New Zealand, the idea was to rest McGrath and test out some alternative players. When the series was won, Lee too was sent home (well, they said it was some kind of illness, but whatever). This left the team with Nathan Bracken essentially to carry the attack built of Clark, Lewis, Johnson, White and Symonds. White and Symonds were hardly going to provide impressive change-of-pace options and Lewis, Johnson and Clark between them still have less than 10 matches of ODI experience. Even if the selectors were to find a magical superpower out of the 3 untested pacemen, it was still an enormous risk and all we really learnt from the experiment is that an underpowered attack on a small ground gets smacked.

The way I see it, if you lose your best tall right arm medium-fast bowler, you can't simply replace him with some other tall right arm medium-fast bowler and hope to get away with it. Don't replace him with a player of the same type, unless they have the quality. The summer has seen four new pacemen get a run, but extraordinarily Cameron White is the only new face in the spin department.

angryangry said:
(**Sorry messed up the quote, ends here**)

Good point but I still believe, when given the opportunity, Stuart Clark has bowled quite well, with consistent accuracy, decent pace and occassional movement. Despite lack of 'international' experience, he does know how to handle plenty of situations based on his good domestic record. About the attack against New Zealand, yes he may struggle without leadership as most players would at that level, but when he gets support from the other end he, I think, has atleast stood out above bowlers like Lewis, Dorey and Johnson.
About Cameron White, I think he should be persisted with his batting, he's very good there, and a mature captain to be able to handle it from so young. But I don't know if he's the long term spinning option, unless he improves out of sight, Dan Cullen may be preferred or another newcomer.

Last edited:
I think the selectors have taken enough looks at these new bowlers They are not going to need ten. I think if they want to experiment any more they should give Gillespie and Kasprowicz a go as they have the experiance already. As I said, they have a head star ton the rest and they will be avaliable for the World Cup. So why not see how they are now? They have their confidance back surely. Its a much smaller risk then bowlers like Dorey who they are really just taking a gamble on. They both have worked hard and are bowling pretty good from the figures I have seen domestically and so long as they are, they should get the opportunity above these young guys. Even Tait, hes had a go, whats wrong with him? Australia need to hurry up and get their team ready. They have to stop experimenting like this, they need to get some wins and the combinations going properly without the revolving door of bowlers changing each week.

Australia were still in the game through most of the match, they just lost too many wickets early because they wern't positive enough in the power play overs. They needed to go at 5's or 6's which isn't difficult but they ended up going at 3's and 4's. They could of won if they had of re done those first 20.

If I were the selectors I would take Gillespie, Kasper and Tait and give one or two of them a go at being the supersub. Australia usually look at bat first, so if they win the toss they can have McGrath, Lee, Bracken, the supersub, Hogg as the frount liners, and then call on Symonds if someones having a bad day or if hes needed. Then theres Clarke as a 7th option. If Australia get sent in to bat, they will still have 5 bowlers as Symonds usually bowlers almost a full 10 anyway and then they can boot McGrtath out for say Gillespie or Kasper who are decent tailenders. Or they can call one of them in if needed.

They have tried Dorey, Hopes (hes batting well but they don't really need more batsmen, the batsmen currently there arn't performing), Lewis, Johnson, Clark, White and no one has really made the grade so far. Clark and Lewis are the best of them but they still arn't up to the grade.

As I have said before, Gillespie didn't really bowl that bad in England, he just had a few off games. He wasn't taking wickets, but his economy wasn't too bad, I mean it was a lot better then the bowlers who were going at 8's and tens last night.

Last edited:
Who would have thought that Jayasuria would hit back like this and take Srilanka to victory. He was smacking the bowlers around like he used to do in the old days. This series is getting interesting. The Aussies have experimented too much and not concentrated on producing results.

Yeah it was Jayasuriya at his best. I felt he could of went on if he didn't suffer those cramps. Very enjoyable to watch and I predicted him to perform at the SCG pre match, even though many doubted his form and fitness. I think the selectors are thinking too much ahead and showing arrogance. They should actually look at the VB series ahead because Aus are struggling and questionable will they even make the finals.

Sri Lanka have produced a massive turn around and look very good now. Their fielding was very good last night apart from those few fumbles in the middle of the innings. Bandara also looks like a very promising young leg spinner which is a good sign. The Murali ball which dismissed Haddin was a beauty, comprehensively deceived him.

The match last night showed how Australia will fair without McGrath and it doesn't look good. Lee and Bracken were decent but Lee didn't look lethal and the Sri Lankans played him pretty well. Also his wicket of Mubarak was rather questionable and felt he didn't edge it. Hopes is hopeless with the ball and Dorey is also not living up to expectation. Clark probably should of been selected but I don't really rate him highly apart from his McGrath like line and length. Lewis is pretty good and was strange why he wasn't selected. Johnson should of also been selected but don't think he will do too well in his early career. The future will be tough without the likes of McGrath and Warne for Aus.

Also the Aussie top order batsman are not firing. Ponting struggled again, Katich has to be dropped next match. He is slow, tedious and not once looked like taking on the bowlers and when he did he was out. Jaques should always be in the team all along and it will be interesting to see the Gilchrist, Jaques partnership.

The next match is at Adelaide and Sri Lanka will also have another good chance of winning the game. It will be a pitch that may turn a fair amount and short square of the wicket boundaries which will favour Jayasuriya.

Kaspa isn't suited for ODIs after his recent performances in the ODI arena. Dizzy I would give another shot and Tait definitely should get his chance. Johnson is too raw right now and hasn't performed in ING.

They need a team like older years like in the 04/05 series and 03/04 series or even world cup

They should have

Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Symonds
Clarke
Hussey
Lee
Hogg
Gilespie/Kasprowicz/Bichel (Bichel has been in Great one day form)
Mcgrath

And supersub one of the for spot 10 and the final one going into the squad

A couple of others that might play well!
Harvey
Hodge

I agree with aussie1st, give Johnson more time and possibly just keep him in the frame without publicly talking about him, as he's had plenty of injuries to the core back and lost pace in a rough comeback period. He is now rebuilding that pace and needs to focus on earning his spot by performing in the domestic arena. And Brett_Lee I don't think taking such a backward step will improve their future hopes. Especially with Hayden, Bichel, Kasprowicz: this is just resurrecting old players that may perform well for a few matches but deprive young players coming through of priceless experience.
Gillespie possibly should be looked at, and Tait is coming back strongly.

Is this the same Sri Lankan side which lost 6-1 to India and 4-1 to NZ !
They`v been superb so far in Australia .
The `Matara Marauder` back in form will help them get even better.

I remember having a discussion about whether Sri Lanka wre a good team or not.
A couple of Aussies posted in the India-Pak series thread telling that SRL were crap and that India beating them 6-1 was nothing great .
The same discussions questioning the talent in the SRL side and how the`yd be blown away by both SA and AUS.

SRL have enough class and talent to trouble the best and Jayasuriya back in the side will only make them even more difficult to beat.

Australia on the other hand are experimenting a bit too much .
They should have tried these expriments when they had a place in the final guaranteed.
If they continue these experiments, I`d say that they`s put their chances of reaching th finals in real jeopardy .

One thing , I do know is that many teams will be queing up to face the Aussies with them showing signs of dipping in form .

With all due respect to Hopes,Bracken and Dorey , they do not look the same class as Mcgrath and I don`t think they`ll trouble many Intl. batsmen especially touring the subcontinent and the good batting pitches in the Carribean .

I think they need to give Dizzy another go and could also try Kaspa again .
Also, why not try Macgill in ODIs. That was a point Ian Chappel was making on air during the AUS-SA match.

Last edited:
Well Aus continue this rotation policy this time resting Ponting. Hodge comes in to replace him. I can't believe Jaques hasn't been given another go. That would be a good rotation move.
McGrath also seems to be rested again.

aussie1st said:
Kaspa isn't suited for ODIs after his recent performances in the ODI arena. Dizzy I would give another shot and Tait definitely should get his chance. Johnson is too raw right now and hasn't performed in ING.

Wow, you took the words out of my mouth.
I think that Kaspa is much better in the longer game.
Dizzy deserves his test and ODI spot back by showing a quick form come-back.
Tait and Bracken should both get a chance at both forms of the game together and I have no idea why Johnson went to NZ! He was absolutely terrible in the games i was watching.

So happy Gilly is back although i do like Haddin and i was really really really disappointed to see Katich in the team after a poor inning from Kat.

Users who are viewing this thread