The VB Series 2006

VB Series Winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pretty much. Although you have to remember SL love playing at the SCG. Its nice and slow no bounce or movement like in NZ and other Aus pitches.
But remember the game is still on, Haddin is closing in on a 50 while Clarke is playing a supporting role. RR up to 4.46 but RRR is climbing. Almost at 8 an over. Haddin will have to take off soon, probably after his 50.

What a beauty by Murali. Haddin was deceived by a doosra, reminds me of how warne bowls arount the batsmans leg. Say goodbye to Hussey's 100+ average now. Golden duck!! Excellent fielding by the Lankans.

Dam Ponting, why did he promote Hussey for. Symonds needs time to get in and wickets to know he can let loose. The run rate requried is way too much now. Yet again our openers disappointed.

Australia still have a chance. Their run-rate is still way below Sri Lanka's, but if Clarke and Symonds hit some big sixes then maybe Australia will edge it.

EDIT : Symonds run-out, pretty pointless single if you ask me.

Last edited:
Game Over. I think Australia need to watch the tapes of us chasing 300 scores. They didn't make enough runs and lost too many wickets early, caused from pressure. The bowling was great from Sri Lanka though.

Sri Lanka deserve the win, they're outplaying Australia.

The team selection needs to be critizised.

Clarke and Lee now out. Sri Lankans have played very well, also very energetic in the field. They'll be closing in on a possible bonus point now which keeps this match alive in that sense, if achieved it will really hurt South Africa's chances, however still a long series.

Like I said earlier before the tourny never count the Lanakns off, in thier last game they won the Saffies by ease and now they have put up a big score of 309, and the Aussies are heading for defeat, the Aussies are 206-8 in the 41st over.

Last edited:
A very deserved victory for Sri Lankans played really well in all aspects, but also a good fight by Aussies to avoid the bonus point defeat. Hopes's innings may prove to do himself alot of good in order to stay the preferred allrounder until Watson returns and also to stay ahead of Thornley who's doing well in the domestic arena.
Jaques I feel needs to be selected to get his career off to a home start, despite not being part of the squad, and that's really only put in place for the first few games to gain an idea. Katich just hasn't done enough to retain his spot when younger players are knocking on the door.

James219 said:
A very deserved victory for Sri Lankans played really well in all aspects, but also a good fight by Aussies to avoid the bonus point defeat. .
I don't think they were ever going to struggle for that really. The advantage of it being impossible to win, meant that they weren't going to give in trying to get big scores.

kodos said:
What a beauty by Murali. Haddin was deceived by a doosra, reminds me of how warne bowls arount the batsmans leg. Say goodbye to Hussey's 100+ average now. Golden duck!! Excellent fielding by the Lankans.

Nope 729/7 is i think you'll find about 104.15 (ish)

Dorey has bowled well below what was asked of him and now the selectors can't really risk a repeat performance. I do believe he is normally somewhat more accurate, but for whatever reason he isn't settling into the top level. Similarly with Hopes, who usually keeps to a restrictive line and length, bowled very loose today, perhaps unsettled by Jayasuriya's vengeance. I agree with Aussie1st about taking a spinner to the SCG, especially when you drop one of your best bowlers. Same as in NZ and in a similar situation in The Ashes, you can't walk into a match with a bunch of support bowlers.

In England, everyone knew Kasprowicz and Gillespie weren't up to scratch and they were persisted with in the absence of McGrath. Hoping for them to fire up wasn't a really bad thing except that it was at the complete expense of Stuart MacGill's talents.

In New Zealand, the idea was to rest McGrath and test out some alternative players. When the series was won, Lee too was sent home (well, they said it was some kind of illness, but whatever). This left the team with Nathan Bracken essentially to carry the attack built of Clark, Lewis, Johnson, White and Symonds. White and Symonds were hardly going to provide impressive change-of-pace options and Lewis, Johnson and Clark between them still have less than 10 matches of ODI experience. Even if the selectors were to find a magical superpower out of the 3 untested pacemen, it was still an enormous risk and all we really learnt from the experiment is that an underpowered attack on a small ground gets smacked.

The way I see it, if you lose your best tall right arm medium-fast bowler, you can't simply replace him with some other tall right arm medium-fast bowler and hope to get away with it. Don't replace him with a player of the same type, unless they have the quality. The summer has seen four new pacemen get a run, but extraordinarily Cameron White is the only new face in the spin department.

Anyway, the selectors are obviously prepared to lose a few games in the pursuit of getting their lesser pacemen experience. Perhaps I should be patient and see what changes occur for the next match. I hope Lewis gets another call up though.

This match however, was well played. Jayasuriya was sublime to watch, particularly through and over point. Still, many times it looked as though Australia would recover with the bat, but Sri Lanka produced the big blows at crucial moments, in particular the run outs of Symonds and Hussey. Bandara bowled quite well, a good example of a spin talent who has brought strike power. Hopefully for SL, Perera gets a long, healthy career, he is very good. Murali on the other hand I don't think is in very good form.

Now back to Jayasuriya, I thought I heard he was going to miss the whole VB series, but now he is playing (and certainly doesn't look injured). Can anyone explain fully what his injury was and how long he was expected to miss?

Users who are viewing this thread